• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you want to follow Poch from Southampton?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELm5Gb3ACU

Im sold.

We need a box to box player like this. I refuse to accept a holding player AND a deep lying ball player in the same team. Not that it doesn't work but a holding player plus a box to box just gives you that something extra in tight games. A box to box who can do defensive duties AND pass AND push forward is rare and just makes us a more dangerous team

having said that, Paulinho and Dembele are box to box in nature. Maybe Pochettino can bring it out in them

Last edited:
Cant help but say it again (sorry)

Why would we buy any southampton player when the reason we beat them twice was nothing to do with poch or tim but because we have much better players ?

That was according to a lot of the poch fans anyway.

For the prices they want I'd pass on them all thanks plenty of decent fish in the sea.

Having better players overall doesn't mean having better players in all positions. We regularly lost to United up until a couple of seasons back, partly because they had better players than us. Carrick and Berbatov still did really well for them. Similarly we were obviously better than Portsmouth, but Crouch and Defoe helped us to the Champions League.

Most top teams sign players from smaller PL clubs. Look at United with van der Saar, Ferdinand, Carrick, Berba, (van Persie) and Valencia just to mention a few. Or Liverpool with Mignolet, Enrique, Henderson etc. It's not like a club finishing 3-4 places down the table for us will have only inferior players, picking up "the best of the rest" is a solid part of a well rounded transfer strategy.

Its also overpaying because you are usually dealing with a club that already is negative towards you for taking their manager

was more thinking Hoddle with Richards

You think Southampton will refuse a bid from us, but accept a similar offer from United, Chelsea or Liverpool for their players? I personally doubt that.

Ive never paid much attention to Schneiderlin other than quotes on Gilette Saturday that he's one of the most underrated players in the league.
How does he compare to Strootman, Claise and Schweinsteiger and other deep laying playmakers?
Who is he better than, who is he not quite as good as?

Is he a mobile type like Modric and Javi Martinez or a simple sit in front of back 4 and spray balls around Pirlo type

He looks mobile and tactically aware on Youtube, but who doesn't on a highlight reel

I have been impressed with him several times, but I have to admit I've never sat down to pay attention to him when Southampton have played. Based on what I've seen and remembered though: He's more mobile than Pirlo, gets forward more. Not quite as quick and sharp as Modric and not with the same dribbling ability, but a bit more tough and physical than Modric and perhaps stronger in the tackle and duels. Perhaps a comparison to Schweinsteiger is closest of those you mention, but obviously not at that level. Someone that gets on the ball a lot and plays a lot of passes and does so well, but does also burst forward. Probably Schweinsteiger is better at that, whereas Schneiderlin is a bit tougher defensively. All action type of player that gets involved a lot, solid both ways, good on the ball, but doesn't get involved all that much in the final third. Haven't seen enough of Strootman and Clasie to comment. I've been impressed with him enough that I thought he would have been an interesting signing for us way before Poch arrived.

Stats seem look similar to what I've perceived when watching him (whoscored.com): Highest average passes number of any Southampton player with 58, also the highest pass success % with 89 (somewhat similar to Modric), but very little in terms of goals and assists (also like Modric). Low number of successful dribbles per match with 0.6 (similar to Wanyama, Cork and Davis, unlike Modric). Highest number of tackles per game with 3,4. Shared second number of interceptions with 2,1 (shared with Fonte, second only to Lovren - both centre backs). (Superior to Modric, perhaps more like Martinez, although I rate Martinez very highly so not quite at that level)

I'd like an answer to that question too.

Schneiderlin's position seems the one we don't have a like-for-like replacement in "The Poch" (based mainly on my reading in these threads) so of all the Southampton players he might be the most useful. I was impressed by his interview explaining the training and tactics, which suggests he is an intelligent player.

Reading the Southampton thread the two players they are most expecting will be sold to us are Schneiderlin and Rodriguez. I think that may end up being the case as well. Those two wouldn't cost us what Lallana and Shaw would and I believe both of their contracts expire after next season.

Im sold.

We need a box to box player like this. I refuse to accept a holding player AND a deep lying ball player in the same team. Not that it doesn't work but a holding player plus a box to box just gives you that something extra in tight games. A box to box who can do defensive duties AND pass AND push forward is rare and just makes us a more dangerous team

having said that, Paulinho and Dembele are box to box in nature. Maybe Pochettino can bring it out in them

Some of those touches reminded me of Chiriches.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Im sold.

Schneiderlin is a really good player I think. Technically excellent, plays with his head up, got an excellent all round game. Clearly tactically aware too. He's at a good age and got a lot of potential. I think we need a deep lying player maker and to me Schneiderlin would be a definite improvement on any of our CMs in respect to those Modric-like qualities.

Hoping Poch can get him in!

Deceptively quick based on that video. Pretty much kept up with Adebayor and Welbeck, was only somewhat outpaced by Walker.

Quick feet in tight areas too, some of those touches to create space for himself were a bit Carrick-esque.

Schneiderlin is a really good player I think. Technically excellent, plays with his head up, got an excellent all round game. Clearly tactically aware too. He's at a good age and got a lot of potential. I think we need a deep lying player maker and to me Schneiderlin would be a definite improvement on any of our CMs in respect to those Modric-like qualities.

Hoping Poch can get him in!

A CM in the mould of Schneiderlin or Banega is the most important thing we need to bring some coherence to our team. It's the heartbeat that enables all the advanced creative players to do their thing. It is, like you say, the Modric replacement/finally getting a Moutinho.

Banega will be considerably cheaper (contract thing) and more available, but Schneiderlin has that precious EPL experience.

A CM in the mould of Schneiderlin or Banega is the most important thing we need to bring some coherence to our team. It's the heartbeat that enables all the advanced creative players to do their thing. It is, like you say, the Modric replacement/finally getting a Moutinho.

Banega will be considerably cheaper (contract thing) and more available, but Schneiderlin has that precious EPL experience.

Agree fully! Would be very exciting with either of those players for me at least, might be other names that should be considered in the same category, but I'm not sure if there are many realistic candidates.

I also think as an understudy for a player like that we have a very promising player in Bentaleb and possibly Carroll.

Deceptively quick based on that video. Pretty much kept up with Adebayor and Welbeck, was only somewhat outpaced by Walker.

Quick feet in tight areas too, some of those touches to create space for himself were a bit Carrick-esque.

Looks good, maybe him with bentaleb rotation next season.

Agree fully! Would be very exciting with either of those players for me at least, might be other names that should be considered in the same category, but I'm not sure if there are many realistic candidates.

I also think as an understudy for a player like that we have a very promising player in Bentaleb and possibly Carroll.

With some coaching on positional discipline, it might end up being Holtby position in time too.

Looks good, maybe him with bentaleb rotation next season.

I think Bentaleb really needs a season out on loan at a lower prem or upper championship side next season. He's still a way from being ready IMO. Carroll too (considering how last season was disrupted by injuries and bench time).

Im fine with you wanting Bentaleb to have a season on loan to further his development (even though I personally wouldnt) but to say he's a way from being ready is wide of the mark for me. He has more than proved his value and would be good to play him for certain games/systems.....

I agree with Harr and DTA, think Bentaleb is ready to at least be a squad player next season. Was very impressed with him this season and he seems to have a lot of qualities that could fit in well with Poch. Actually him and Schneiderlin seem quite similar to me.

Assuming a 4-2-3-1 system as standard and that we would want 4 players for those two deep midfield positions I would be happy with Bentaleb as one of those 4. I realize that if we then sign another player for that position that means getting rid of two out of Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro and Capoue, but I'm kinda fine with that and it could also free up funds to go for some top class players in other positions.

We can't always expect to send players out on loan until they're good enough to be starters for us. We have to be a bit brave with some of our youngsters and Bentaleb has shown himself to be both very capable, but also mentally mature and ready to step up. I know they're in different leagues and different situations, but if you look at Barca and Dortmund for example they're not afraid to trust young players as backup/rotation options and give them time on the pitch.

If our hopes are fulfilled with Pochettino and his ability on the training ground there's also a lot of value in having a player with us instead of at another PL club. If he's also moving us towards a somewhat specific style of play the value of learning that style is quite high. Sending someone on loan to fight it out at Crystal Palace for example might not have the same value as learning the ins and outs of Poch's style throughout the season. When returning from loan the player would be better and more ready, but would still need time to adjust to our specific style of play unless we found the absolute perfect loan deal somehow.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I would actually be a bit disappointed if we end up sending Bentaleb out on loan this summer. I would like to see if Poch can replicate what he's done with some of the Southampton youngsters with him.

Bentaleb weren't too far off Schneiderlin' figures last season, maybe a loan so he can get regular first team football might be best for his development but otherwise there's always the League Cup + Europa...

ofajk6.jpg

Bentaleb weren't too far off Schneiderlin' figures last season, maybe a loan so he can get regular first team football might be best for his development but otherwise there's always the League Cup + Europa...

ofajk6.jpg

Why buy a player in order to send another out on loan, Bentaleb showed enough last season to warrant a chance of starting instead of being replaced by Schneiderlin.

I agree with Harr and DTA, think Bentaleb is ready to at least be a squad player next season. Was very impressed with him this season and he seems to have a lot of qualities that could fit in well with Poch. Actually him and Schneiderlin seem quite similar to me.

Assuming a 4-2-3-1 system as standard and that we would want 4 players for those two deep midfield positions I would be happy with Bentaleb as one of those 4. I realize that if we then sign another player for that position that means getting rid of two out of Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro and Capoue, but I'm kinda fine with that and it could also free up funds to go for some top class players in other positions.

We can't always expect to send players out on loan until they're good enough to be starters for us. We have to be a bit brave with some of our youngsters and Bentaleb has shown himself to be both very capable, but also mentally mature and ready to step up. I know they're in different leagues and different situations, but if you look at Barca and Dortmund for example they're not afraid to trust young players as backup/rotation options and give them time on the pitch.

If our hopes are fulfilled with Pochettino and his ability on the training ground there's also a lot of value in having a player with us instead of at another PL club. If he's also moving us towards a somewhat specific style of play the value of learning that style is quite high. Sending someone on loan to fight it out at Crystal Palace for example might not have the same value as learning the ins and outs of Poch's style throughout the season. When returning from loan the player would be better and more ready, but would still need time to adjust to our specific style of play unless we found the absolute perfect loan deal somehow.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I would actually be a bit disappointed if we end up sending Bentaleb out on loan this summer. I would like to see if Poch can replicate what he's done with some of the Southampton youngsters with him.

I think Paulinho might be used further forward by Poch - in the Stephen Davis role. He and Holtby are the two most suited to that (with Eriksen and Chadli as the two options for the wide/free Lallana role).

Good arguments about Bentaleb. I could certainly live with Sandro, Capoue, Schneiderlin and Bentaleb as our 4 for the 2 deeper CM positions.

Why buy a player in order to send another out on loan, Bentaleb showed enough last season to warrant a chance of starting instead of being replaced by Schneiderlin.

I have to disagree with that. Bentaleb looked well out of his depth at times. I could live with him understudying a senior player in that role, but if he's in the starting 11, we're not going to trouble the top 4 in any way.

IMO this is the most important position on the pitch, and we can't afford to have it filled by a raw trainee.

I have to disagree with that. Bentaleb looked well out of his depth at times. I could live with him understudying a senior player in that role, but if he's in the starting 11, we're not going to trouble the top 4 in any way.

IMO this is the most important position on the pitch, and we can't afford to have it filled by a raw trainee.
I thought one of the positives about Poch was that he utilizes the kids? I'm expecting him to come in and seriously improve Bentaleb, Kane and maybe Pritchard too so they are good enough for the first team and used on a regular basis.

Obviously Luke Shaw is the obvious choice, but it's unlikely to happen (if he leaves Southampton this summer, I suspect we'll be priced out of it by other teams). So I'm ruling him out.

I've not seen enough of Lovren to know how good he is. But if he's the real deal, then - at his age and in his position - he should be our top target.

I think Paulinho might be used further forward by Poch - in the Stephen Davis role. He and Holtby are the two most suited to that (with Eriksen and Chadli as the two options for the wide/free Lallana role).

Good arguments about Bentaleb. I could certainly live with Sandro, Capoue, Schneiderlin and Bentaleb as our 4 for the 2 deeper CM positions.

Could very well be, the comparison to Davis is interesting. I've thought for some time that a more free attacking role could suit Paulinho better.

I still think that number 10 role, if we play a 4-2-3-1, is also a role that Eriksen and Lamela can do really well in. It's probably also a good place for Holtby, Sig's preferred role I think and where we can use Harry Kane. An awful lot of competition. Could see Eriksen, Paulinho and Lamela make up that attacking trio, and if that's the preferred line-up obviously Paulinho shouldn't be sold. I just think that if he's going to be used as a squad player behind some of those other candidates we might be better off cashing in. I have nothing against him staying though.

"Well out of his depth at times" is a bit nebulous, but for the sake of argument I could agree to that. I would also say that at times he looked our best or second best outfield player on the pitch. And most of the time he used the ball better than any of our other central/deep midfielders. For a 19 year old cast into a team more or less in upheaval, straight in from the development squad, playing alongside different players most weeks that's still pretty good.

If he can improve on that over the pre-season and with circumstances hopefully being more predictable and supporting next season I think it's quite likely that he will improve.

Not saying he should be first choice come August, but I would like him in the squad and getting time on the pitch. Including perhaps every EL and CC game at least.

I'll add my name to the list of those who'd like to see Ward-Prowse here.
Eriksen seems great at set pieces but there's no harm at having someone else who can take a mean dead ball and cross it well.
His work ethic seems commendable and his gifting appears well above average.
Could he replace Lennon in the squad? Maybe.

Back