• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you think we should've signed?

Should have implies we can't now so for me it's Depay... Has everything in the locker

Player we should buy and we can is Berahino

How close were with to Aguero all those years ago?? Did we put a bid in and have it rejected or did the player himself say no?

konoplyanka. I've only watched him a handful of times but from what i have seen of him he looks as though he is what we need. A positive player that is creative, capable of driving play forward and that is also capable of beating a player. Not to mention someone that is entertaining to watch, all our play at the moment is so damn laboured and predictable, it's mind-numbing at times. All that said, i'm still relatively hopeful that Lamela could turn out to be that type of player if he gets off to a decent start this season.

Cabaye too would have been nice, we need someone in the middle that is capable of dictating play, hopefully Bentaleb could turn out to be that player soon enough but he's not there just yet. Having Cabaye there playing alongside him would be beneficial for his development.

Last edited:
To me, everyone we have missed this Window falls into two categories

- Out of our purchase range ->MS, Depay, Bentekeke
- Players that might have been a good add, but not likely to be massive upgrades -> Cabaye, Milner, Ayew, etc.

To me, Austin was the most obvious one (based on our dire need to have an effective Kane backup), but suspect he fell into wage packet challenge.

I definitely want Barahino. he ticks a lot of boxed for me. he has pace, skill, can play wide and has an eye for a goal from any angle. Got a bit of an attitude which i dont mind if directed correctly and he is English and has played well with Kane in the past.

Just dont like the price tag because he is English and young.

After that I would just like us to add a new Defensive based Midfielder to replace Stambouli and Capoue. I dont know who though.

Mitrovic - think he's going to be a beast for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and for £13m United or Arsenal will pay £30m in 2 years time.
Depay - pacey, dribbler, goals.
Jordy Clasie - because Southampton rarely buy bad players now.

Those 3 and I would have been happy, plus you're only looking at £45m for that lot.

Those who have watched Mitrovic closely seem to think that he wouldn't be right for Pochettino. Not a hard worker on or off the pitch. Was fined by Anderlecht last year for being overweight, apparently. It's unlikely that he would adapt well to the demands of a high pressing team.

He's also very much a penalty box player. Scores a lot of headers and consequently relies on crosses (not a facet of the game at which we've excelled in recent years - though Kieran Trippier might change that). Not a very quick player or one who offers much elsewhere on the pitch. Lastly, he's reputed to have something of an attitude problem - again, unlikely to sit well with Pochettino, who is in the process of culling such players.

There's no doubt that he has talent and he'll probably do well, or well enough, at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. But he's not one that got away, from what I can gather. We already have Harry Kane playing in Mitrovic's preferred position and, if we are to sign a backup in the Mitrovic mould, I'd rather go for Premier League proven quality in Charlie Austin. Better still, I'd rather go for Berahino, who offers greater versatility.

How close were with to Aguero all those years ago?? Did we put a bid in and have it rejected or did the player himself say no?

We were never even in for him, I suspect. Our 'bid' for Aguero was part of that deadline-day 'scramble' in January 2011, which also saw reports of 30 million pound bids for Rossi and Llorente alongside the supposed one for Aguero. Back then, I chalked it down to bad luck as the window closed without any of them arriving. Now, looking back, I don't see how any of it could have been pulled off in the time left n the window (the news of the intitial bids themselves filtered through with only a few hours remaining), or how it could have fit with our profit-oriented transfer policy. It was likely just a sham to show the fans that the club was really trying to get Harry the striker he asked for, honest!

In reality I suspect Levy had already tired of backing his managers by that time.

As for who we missed out on that we should've signed, the list is long, and painful. Craig Bellamy any number of times (funnily enough, he actually regrets not joining us: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-regret-not-joining-is-tottenham-8972139.html) , Kjaer, Cavani, and Huntelaar in that exhilarating summer of misses in 2010, Samba and Cahill in January 2012, Moutinho in August 2012, Willian in January 2013, Hulk and Villa in the summer of 2013, Schneiderlin and Rodriguez in the summer of 2014, Ings and (we've never been linked him, but still) Johannes Geis in the summer of 2015...

...Sigh.

Kjær was a dodged bullet IMO. Fell out with Magath at Wolfsburg (might not have been entirely his fault), Roma had him on loan, but didn't want to buy as he made too many mistakes, finally moved to Lille and this summer to Fenerbache.

Kjær was a dodged bullet IMO. Fell out with Magath at Wolfsburg (might not have been entirely his fault), Roma had him on loan, but didn't want to buy as he made too many mistakes, finally moved to Lille and this summer to Fenerbache.

If I remember correctly, he was a package deal type-thing with Cavani: their chairman proclaimed that we had made a 35 million euro bid for the pair of them that he'd accepted, and that they'd both be on their way to England shortly.

Turns out that was bull, although we were apparently interested in that sort of thing - but I put the pair of them in there because Cavani came with Kjaer. And it's obvious which one we missed out on (although at the time, Cavani was an above-average winger, not a brutishly strong CF).

Mitrovic, Claise, Depay, Cabaye, Deulofeu, Patrick Roberts I think could have all added something... Looking at the list of transfers changed my mind from thinking a lot of other teams had done good business to realising not much else has gone on...

Kjaer was expected to be one of the worlds best CB's at the time, obviously didn't turn out that way but he was very highly rated.

Youri Tielemans and Viktor Fischer 10m each and loan them back to their clubs for a year to sweeten the deal.

Both will be world class and out of our range in a year or two.

Jetro Willems, although he is technically a left back and we already have two. According to a bloke that watches Eredivisie, Depay wouldn't have had the success he did without him.

Bit random but I think Scott Brown at Celtic could do a great job for us in midfield, have seen him live in the flesh in Champions League and loads more on TV. He is a hard fker and exactly the type we need, could have been a modern day Graham Roberts. Also can pass the ball and is a born leader of a team.

Back