• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When was the last time we had three Academy players starting a Premiership game?

True.

Looks like we may need to agree a definition of home-grown. For me it's someone who's registration has only ever been with Tottenham throughout his academy years. He may well of course have spells out on loan to several clubs before returning to make his breakthrough into the first-team squad, so long as it's us who have always held his registration.

There aren't so many of those around, to be honest. If you look more deeply into it, you'll find that a lot of players who you think of as having come through a particular club's academy actually only joined that club well into their development - Harry Kane being a case in point. He was released by Arsenal aged 14, iirc. And Alex Pritchard started at West Ham before joining us aged 16.

I'm fairly certain that Andros Townsend has been with us all the way through, though. And Ryan Mason.

There aren't so many of those around, to be honest. If you look more deeply into it, you'll find that a lot of players who you think of as having come through a particular club's academy actually only joined that club well into their development - Harry Kane being a case in point. He was released by Arsenal aged 14, iirc. And Alex Pritchard started at West Ham before joining us aged 16.

I'm fairly certain that Andros Townsend has been with us all the way through, though. And Ryan Mason.

Astute observation. Oh well, maybe I'm just an old romantic. Or just plain old! ;)

For me a homegrown player is someone who has spent time in our academy. Lennon went straight into the first team so not a homegrown player. Bentaleb and Rose both signed and spent time in the junior ranks so I'd sya yes they are.

That only happened with Lennon because Routledge (the senior player we signed for Lennon to understudy) got injured and Lennon was fasttracked through. Lennon and Rose were about the same age when we signed them (17/18), and Lennon cost £0.5m and Rose £1m IIRC.

I wish I could remember who it was for sure, think it may have even been Gary Neville, but somebody on Sky the other week was commenting on how disappointed he was that we never seem to bring any homegrown players through.
Needless to say I nearly spat my tea out

I wish I could remember who it was for sure, think it may have even been Gary Neville, but somebody on Sky the other week was commenting on how disappointed he was that we never seem to bring any homegrown players through.
Needless to say I nearly spat my tea out

It is ridiculous how little recognition our academy gets from pundits and press. Shows how ignorant and out of date they are.

Speak to anyone involved in youth football within the Premier League and Football League and you'll hear nothing but great things about the Spurs academy.

Sounds like we should hoover up more and more 14 year old talent from smaller clubs when we play them.

Buy their parents something big and tacky like a Dodge Pickup and bish bash bosh we're sorted for £20k.

Equally impressive is that the players that finished the game had an average age of 23.2.

If you don't include Fazio, Verts and Lloris then the average age was 21.8 ... *nearly* an u-21 team just beat an in-form Everton.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

That is impressive in deed!

To some extent it also highlights the need for some more experienced players to up their game or for us to bring in some experience in the transfer market. Been very impressed with the fearless nature of our youngsters. Bentaleb and Mason in particular perhaps, but also Kane and to some extent Townsend. But a lot of youngsters will be inconsistent and having some (performing) slightly more experienced players can be important.

Noticed that Poch threw Harry Winks' name in to a comment made before the Chelsea game:

Pochettino stuck to his usual mantra when he was asked whether he might need to man-manage Adebayor, if he was fit but kept as a substitute. “For me, every player is special,” Pochettino said. “Adebayor is special, Harry Kane is special. Harry Winks [the young midfielder] is special. They are different players, sure, and you need to show respect for each player. But each player is special.”

Could be nothing, but could also be an indication that Winks is one of those reserve team players closest to getting a chance?

We bought Rose, we didn't buy Nabil, therefore in my mind one is club-grown, the other isn't. Maybe that logic doesn't stack up but that's how I feel.

harry kane didnt get released by arsenal at 14 ffs. but pritchard came late same as caulker, ledley king, caulker, miller etc

I think the even more encouraging sign from our players coming through the academy is the technical ability that they have. Not sure if you can pin that down to development in our academy or just geeting lucky with some talented players but long may it continue!

We bought Rose, we didn't buy Nabil, therefore in my mind one is club-grown, the other isn't. Maybe that logic doesn't stack up but that's how I feel.

Rose spent longer in our academy than Bentaleb, which clearly makes him more club grown imv.

Fwiw i view any player who spends time developing in our junior ranks as a product of the club - if the club has aided their development at youth level, how can they not be viewed as such?

Rose spent longer in our academy than Bentaleb, which clearly makes him more club grown imv.

Fwiw i view any player who spends time developing in our junior ranks as a product of the club - the club has aided their development at a youth level, how can they nor be viewed as such?

I agree with this re: definition of homegrown. Look at **** youth system the media ****s over them and 90% of their youth players are bought from all over Europe at a young age

For the record we haven't played a PREMIERSHIP game since 2001! It is the Premier League!

Anyway.....I remember when we played Liverpool in Nov 2000 in similar circumstances to the Everton game at the weekend i.e. we had started the season badly and the crowd were restless (mostly at Sugar/Graham who were still in post then).

Mostly through injuries we were forced in to selecting Alton Thelwell and Ledley King alongside Perry in a back three. Clemence also played in midfield and Carr and Young were in the starting XI with Walker on the bench. By coincidence we went 1-0 down early on only to score twice before half-time (Ferdinand and Sherwood!) and held on in the second half through an energetic and uplifting performance that we hoped would be a sign of better things to come! (alas after beating Leicester we then went 6 games without a win!)

I suspect there were occasions when Caskey, Barmby, Walker and Campbell would have played in the same team in 93/94

Main learning point of my post It is the PREMIER LEAGUE!!

We had 4 on the pitch for 39 minutes against Leicester, plus Townsend as an unused sub.

I wonder if we'll end up with all 5 on at the same time before the season is out.

Back