• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When a hearse passes by...

spurspinter1

Paul Stalteri
Do you stop and bow your head to show respect?

I've heard this used to be a very common tradition but is becoming rarer these days.

I was walking and a funeral procession passed by and I thought about it and as bad as it seems it almost seemed a bit awkward for me to do it, perhaps patronizing almost.

Thoughts?

Do you stop and bow your head to show respect?

I've heard this used to be a very common tradition but is becoming rarer these days.

I was walking and a funeral procession passed by and I thought about it and as bad as it seems it almost seemed a bit awkward for me to do it, perhaps patronizing almost.

Thoughts?
Little while ago I was driving along a wide(ish) road in town that had one lane in each direction. A hearse in front of me was crawling at about 10mph and I was incredibly late for work, only a day after gonad*ing someone who works for me for persistent lateness. So, the hearse was empty and it was clearly on its way to pick up the bereaved - therefore nobody to insult by putting my (admittedly leaden) foot down and getting past them.

I drop a gear, flatten my right foot, wheels give a little squeal of complaint, engine starts to kick out a meaty roar that echoes around the street and I fly past the hearse like it's not even there............

Only to see on the other side of the hearse, lined up along the pavement are about 20 really, really dismayed people, all joining me in wondering what kind of a clam I really am.

I don't bow my head, no. I do think i'd feel awkward. However, if I was wearing a hat I'd definitely take it off.

Not sure what the difference is..

Little while ago I was driving along a wide(ish) road in town that had one lane in each direction. A hearse in front of me was crawling at about 10mph and I was incredibly late for work, only a day after cobblering someone who works for me for persistent lateness. So, the hearse was empty and it was clearly on its way to pick up the bereaved - therefore nobody to insult by putting my (admittedly leaden) foot down and getting past them.

I drop a gear, flatten my right foot, wheels give a little squeal of complaint, engine starts to kick out a meaty roar that echoes around the street and I fly past the hearse like it's not even there............

Only to see on the other side of the hearse, lined up along the pavement are about 20 really, really dismayed people, all joining me in wondering what kind of a clam I really am.

It was always considered bad form ( and bad luck) to pass a hearse, so if I was you I would start to get worried.

I remember being taught that if we see a hearse we had to hold the collar of our shirt until we saw a dog. No idea why!

I take it we mean a hearse with a coffin on its way to the crematorium*?

I'd probably treat it much the same as a horse going past, try and ensure a safe passage.

I normally Beep my horn if I am behind them!!! slow moving fudgers!!

but seriously. I know the term about doffing your hat? but im never wearing a hat. And actually I cant remember the last time I saw a hearse go by.

I always look at the number plate to see how new the Merc is, to how much the funeral directors are ripping people off for.

I was in Ireland at a funeral on Sunday. Following the hearse from the funeral directors, past her old house, and on to the church. Narrow country lanes, big procession of cars, every single person the other way stopped and waited for everybody to come past, whether there was room to pass or not. Then following the hearse from the church to the graveyard, again, every car in town stopped to wait, very patiently, til we'd all walked past them.

Was in a rush yesterday and a hearse was in front of me. So wanted to over take and it was not dangerous to do so but waited. Just not the right thing to do unless it's a proper emergency.

I hoped to be able to follow London District Standing Orders and cut the Regimental Band off and give an Eyes Right/Left.

Very few Hearses in Moorgate and environs.

Sitting in my mother-in-laws funeral procession car (through Leeds) last year, I remember actually taking notice of the amount of people bowing heads and making the sign of the cross as it went past.

All of the older generation I might add but it was nice to see.

Back