• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

As was I, not sure an edited version of Django would work though TBH.

I would suspect the pre watershed stuff though was to be sensitive to underage kids seeing sex scenes, drug use and hearing swearing though.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

There’s a tv station in America called A&E that used to show Sopranos reruns but they cut out the swearing as it was aired in the middle of the day. It made the show laughable and completely unwatchable. That’s just now mafiosos talk, they all have potty mouths and swear profusely. Same with Deadwood. People used to swear like that as a macho kind of thing to be assertive.

We’re not talking about banning anything, we are talking about alternative edits for diverse audiences.

Kind of like when movies on TV had the sex scenes edited out for pre-watershed broadcast.

I expect there were similar reactions to that when it first started.

But it opens up a wider discussion that me and Grays were alluding to that people have become too thin-skinned and overly sensitive. It’s not like the books have racial or homophobic slurs, they’re just a reflection of the time they were written in. Pick any book written this century and read it 50 years from now and I’m 100% certain there will be things that upset people. Society doesn’t stop evolving.

Yeh I love him, absolute master....I did enjoy this l...

341a23bea76f01d9b4810d2e82cc0643.jpg

It’s always white people that virtue signal like this and come across self-righteous. So what if it’s set in a largely male, white fairytale? :D That assessment is also wrong btw there’s plenty of strong female characters in the books and the films.

#fudgeThePatriarchy

But it opens up a wider discussion that me and Grays were alluding to that people have become too thin-skinned and overly sensitive. It’s not like the books have racial or homophobic slurs, they’re just a reflection of the time they were written in. Pick any book written this century and read it 50 years from now and I’m 100% certain there will be things that upset people. Society doesn’t stop evolving.
In conclusion for me as I don't wanna clog this thread up, but as I said early on, find it a ridiculous notion that things should be revised because of a small number of complaints. I maintain the original revisions of Roald Dahl to remove words like "Men", "'Fat" and finding a fictional charecteur being described as ugly as offensive is ridiculous. How people find offence to soft descriptions of fictional characters is like you say, indicative of a falsehood of real life IMHO

Last edited:
Second hand bookshop pickings from the last couple of weeks… hit a good streak.

Good job I have some holiday coming up.

View attachment 15229

Rebecca, read that a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, hadn't really expected to so was a nice surprise.
Read a couple more of her works, Jamaica inn, which was ok and rule britannia which i really enjoyed but was a bit strange.
The movies the birds and don't look now are both based on her works.

Rebecca, read that a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, hadn't really expected to so was a nice surprise.
Read a couple more of her works, Jamaica inn, which was ok and rule britannia which i really enjoyed but was a bit strange.

Cool, I fancied something different to my usual reads and I know it’s well regarded so thought I’d give it a go.

Recently read 'The World For Sale' which i enjoyed - basically about commodity traders and how Trafigura, Glencore made alot of people very rich, but gives a good insight into how they operated back in the day, and no doubt continue to operate with very questionable morals.

Currently reading 'The Cult of We' which is also very good and demonstrates the damage an unchecked 'visionary' (Adam Neumann) can do. He has similarities to that of Elizabeth Holmes at Theranos (and no doubt many other in Silicon Valley) - Bad Blood is the book i read which documented her/Theranos story.

Empire of Pain is another good book i read recently about the Sackler family/Purdue Pharma and their complicit association with the opioid crisis in the US.

Recently read 'The World For Sale' which i enjoyed - basically about commodity traders and how Trafigura, Glencore made alot of people very rich, but gives a good insight into how they operated back in the day, and no doubt continue to operate with very questionable morals.

Currently reading 'The Cult of We' which is also very good and demonstrates the damage an unchecked 'visionary' (Adam Neumann) can do. He has similarities to that of Elizabeth Holmes at Theranos (and no doubt many other in Silicon Valley) - Bad Blood is the book i read which documented her/Theranos story.

Empire of Pain is another good book i read recently about the Sackler family/Purdue Pharma and their complicit association with the opioid crisis in the US.

Was Theranos the company that raised loads of capital based on false claims then listed and made billions only to find they had zero in the pipeline?

Basically, yes and Elizabeth Holmes was the 'entrepreneur' who used the 'fake it til you make it' maxim to the extreme in that there was zero supporting tech to support her outrageous claims. She managed to convince alot of well known people to part with their cash and invest in her company, Theranos, when no credible science/tech behind her claims - i recommend the book if that kind of subject interests you.

'Super Pumped - the battle for Uber' is another very good book which describes how uber/Kalanick managed to disrupt and elbow their way in to the cab business. To me, the main thing these silicon valley/tech firms have in common is a deluded founder/CEO with too few people able to tell them 'no'

Rebecca was really good - a couple of the twists caught me out nicely and the whole thing leaves quite a lot to think about.

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel.

9780593321447.jpg

Apparently it's a sci-fi novel because it involves time travel. Much more to it. Great read.

I’m 2/3 of the way through - it’s really good. I’m having to slow down; it’s a short read anyway with lots of short chapters and breaks and I don’t want to finish too fast.

It actually feels like the kind of book that you could re-read straight away and get a whole other layer.

It was only out in hardback but well worth the £14.99.

81B3861E-163A-4BB4-8DC3-978CFC0A738A.jpeg

There’s a tv station in America called A&E that used to show Sopranos reruns but they cut out the swearing as it was aired in the middle of the day. It made the show laughable and completely unwatchable. That’s just now mafiosos talk, they all have potty mouths and swear profusely. Same with Deadwood. People used to swear like that as a macho kind of thing to be assertive.

I suppose being America the murdering was still broadcast?

I’m 2/3 of the way through - it’s really good. I’m having to slow down; it’s a short read anyway with lots of short chapters and breaks and I don’t want to finish too fast.

It actually feels like the kind of book that you could re-read straight away and get a whole other layer.

It was only out in hardback but well worth the £14.99.

View attachment 15300
Just finished it - thought it was an extraordinary book. Didn't know what it was about before I started reading, and boy did it take me by surprise. Loved her take on the topic. Very well written, so well that I bought two of her older books today.

Back