• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

Flashman books are great fun. Not written in 1850 more like 100 years later. Reading Churchill's autobiography, also set in the 1800s, it has some of the same ethics of that era. The British Empire hadn't seen any serious war for a long time, the army was seen as a gallant career, and war was idolised. People thought it was a glorious pursuit. Of course that would all change in Churchills life time.

81rJ1I99BAL._SL1500_.jpg

Shows exactly how scruffy and ill fitting the British army kit was. My dad said they felt like a bunch of tramps when they saw the American uniforms which actually fitted.

This may sound like a dumb question with potentially obvious answers ie "find a way that works for you" but any tips for getting in to reading regularly? I claim to enjoy it and find non fiction fascinating and diving in to novels / short stories a welcome escape from the real world but then suddenly a year goes by without me picking up a book.

It may just be mental laziness but when I'm at home if I have time it's so natural to watch whatever on TV or stick on the PlayStation and when I'm out and about I can't focus with pretty much any noise / stuff going on so I can't sink in to what I'm reading. Also it works for some people but I 'm not sure about reading before bed as if I'm actually engaged in what I'm getting in to then my head will be spinning for hours and I won't be able to sleep.

This may sound like a dumb question with potentially obvious answers ie "find a way that works for you" but any tips for getting in to reading regularly? I claim to enjoy it and find non fiction fascinating and diving in to novels / short stories a welcome escape from the real world but then suddenly a year goes by without me picking up a book.

It may just be mental laziness but when I'm at home if I have time it's so natural to watch whatever on TV or stick on the PlayStation and when I'm out and about I can't focus with pretty much any noise / stuff going on so I can't sink in to what I'm reading. Also it works for some people but I 'm not sure about reading before bed as if I'm actually engaged in what I'm getting in to then my head will be spinning for hours and I won't be able to sleep.

I read any old brick if it is posted on this forum so perhaps just copy and paste a whole ebook into a new thread here instead of reading the latest diatribe against enic.

Scara’ won’t mind.

I read on my rail commute, and before I go to sleep.

I have an intensive job, it helps me relax after work, get into another world.

Books you actually enjoy are key, life is too short to stick with something boring, I spend a lot of time reading pulp sci-fi, but it does it for me.

I mostly read on a Kindle, its lightweight, battery lasts for ages and it holds loads of books, I've typically got 4/5 books on the go at any time.

Anyone read the Tom Hanks book, was close to picking it up today in Sainsburys but a quick Google in queue and was a mixed bag of reviews

I read any old brick if it is posted on this forum so perhaps just copy and paste a whole ebook into a new thread here instead of reading the latest diatribe against enic.

Scara’ won’t mind.

I might have missed an in joke here sorry mate, I'm not sure if posting an E book (is that the same as an audiobook?) on to a thread is going to help much.

I read on my rail commute, and before I go to sleep.

I have an intensive job, it helps me relax after work, get into another world.

Books you actually enjoy are key, life is too short to stick with something boring, I spend a lot of time reading pulp sci-fi, but it does it for me.

I mostly read on a Kindle, its lightweight, battery lasts for ages and it holds loads of books, I've typically got 4/5 books on the go at any time.

Ah I'm blown away by how people can immerse themselves in to a book on the tube or a train with so much going on and having to remain aware what stop you get off at....Always amazed by folks who can walk and read, saw it loads in Prague, it's impressive levels of multitasking until you get ran over....

Fair point on reading books you enjoy rather than going off what is meant to be highly rated or a "classic" etc

I fudging loved Lord of The Rings but it probably took me at least a year and a half to get through all three, and even then it might have helped knowing the story / general vibe of the characters via the films etc

I might have missed an in joke here sorry mate, I'm not sure if posting an E book (is that the same as an audiobook?) on to a thread is going to help much.

Ah I'm blown away by how people can immerse themselves in to a book on the tube or a train with so much going on and having to remain aware what stop you get off at....Always amazed by folks who can walk and read, saw it loads in Prague, it's impressive levels of multitasking until you get ran over....

Fair point on reading books you enjoy rather than going off what is meant to be highly rated or a "classic" etc

I fudging loved Lord of The Rings but it probably took me at least a year and a half to get through all three, and even then it might have helped knowing the story / general vibe of the characters via the films etc

Reading a book that is based or set in around either contemporary or near future events or settings can be interesting.

Try a subject that you have always meant to get round to learning about but never found the time.

Or read something that has been turned into a movie that you enjoyed. In the same vein as LOTR, gone with the wind is an epic book, Rosemary's baby book and film are excellent, the shinning is an good example (although i liked neither). There's tons out there and very few movies stick strictly to the book so it isn't always just like a repeat.

Reading a book that is based or set in around either contemporary or near future events or settings can be interesting.

Try a subject that you have always meant to get round to learning about but never found the time.

Or read something that has been turned into a movie that you enjoyed. In the same vein as LOTR, gone with the wind is an epic book, Rosemary's baby book and film are excellent, the shinning is an good example (although i liked neither). There's tons out there and very few movies stick strictly to the book so it isn't always just like a repeat.

Appreciate the tips. I did try the Expanse having really enjoyed the series but I do wonder if it's a tad lazy only reading stuff if I've had it spoonfed via a visual medium first - Not judging anyone else who prefers to do it that way, as you say it's never a like for like repeat...

It's more a case of getting in to reading itself rather than not being able to find stuff I am interested in, I had a couple of non fiction, one on the cultural history of boxing and the other "Lost Connections" which was at least partially about the lack of community leading to worsening mental health across the board. Both were fascinating but I seem to go through stages of just not wanting to learn new stuff or just struggling with the focus required to read. I have plenty of fiction to get through too but just don't have it in the routine of something I naturally do..

Appreciate the tips. I did try the Expanse having really enjoyed the series but I do wonder if it's a tad lazy only reading stuff if I've had it spoonfed via a visual medium first - Not judging anyone else who prefers to do it that way, as you say it's never a like for like repeat...

It's more a case of getting in to reading itself rather than not being able to find stuff I am interested in, I had a couple of non fiction, one on the cultural history of boxing and the other "Lost Connections" which was at least partially about the lack of community leading to worsening mental health across the board. Both were fascinating but I seem to go through stages of just not wanting to learn new stuff or just struggling with the focus required to read. I have plenty of fiction to get through too but just don't have it in the routine of something I naturally do..

Do what you want to do when you want to do it.
I find that if i try and read, listen to music, do some model building because i feel i should i quickly lose interest and resent the time.
Sometimes we just need to flop out in front of the tv or console and lose ourselves.

Do what you want to do when you want to do it.
I find that if i try and read, listen to music, do some model building because i feel i should i quickly lose interest and resent the time.
Sometimes we just need to flop out in front of the tv or console and lose ourselves.

I absolutely take your point about forcing something if you're not in the mood but the "do what you want to do when you want to do it" line reminded me of an Anthony Bourdain quote:

“I understand there's a guy inside me who wants to lay in bed, smoke weed all day, and watch cartoons and old movies. My whole life is a series of stratagems to avoid, and outwit, that guy.”

Sometimes what you want to do isn't what you should do, so it's often working against instinct. I'd ideally be stoned doing the above but instead the ridiculous laws being what they are I am pushed down the drinking path which can unlock / create anger and make me occasionally lose the plot on here and in life in general. Not to get too off topic but it's been almost a month sober for me which has been interesting, not drinking is easier in the off season without having to watch Spurs.....

Ironically whilst I'm typing this the PS is loaded up to play some meaningless online games instead of picking up a book so it is just choices / habits when all is said and done.

Just finished this one:

61GEYJjazAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Basically a thriller/crime novel set in a rural town in Virginia, US, with a backdrop of racism and poverty. The main character is the town's first black sheriff, who left the FBI to come back home to care for his father.

It's a pretty dark themed book, well written with a story that is both engaging and surprising. Reading it kept me up at night, because it was hard to stop reading. Definitely one I'd recommend!

Just finished this one:

61GEYJjazAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Basically a thriller/crime novel set in a rural town in Virginia, US, with a backdrop of racism and poverty. The main character is the town's first black sheriff, who left the FBI to come back home to care for his father.

It's a pretty dark themed book, well written with a story that is both engaging and surprising. Reading it kept me up at night, because it was hard to stop reading. Definitely one I'd recommend!

I really like Elmore Leonard, is that an apt comparison on the cover?

I absolutely take your point about forcing something if you're not in the mood but the "do what you want to do when you want to do it" line reminded me of an Anthony Bourdain quote:

“I understand there's a guy inside me who wants to lay in bed, smoke weed all day, and watch cartoons and old movies. My whole life is a series of stratagems to avoid, and outwit, that guy.”

Sometimes what you want to do isn't what you should do, so it's often working against instinct. I'd ideally be stoned doing the above but instead the ridiculous laws being what they are I am pushed down the drinking path which can unlock / create anger and make me occasionally lose the plot on here and in life in general. Not to get too off topic but it's been almost a month sober for me which has been interesting, not drinking is easier in the off season without having to watch Spurs.....

Ironically whilst I'm typing this the PS is loaded up to play some meaningless online games instead of picking up a book so it is just choices / habits when all is said and done.
Have you tried audiobooks? They work for me fine in certain circumstances. Say if I am doing something that doesn't require 100% of my brain to be engaged, autopilot tasks, they are good. I also find that if the author is not reading their own book but instead some gal/guy with an interesting voice, that doesn't engage me either.

I really like Elmore Leonard, is that an apt comparison on the cover?

Not sure, TBH. I've read a few Elmore Leonard books before, but that's so many years ago that I can’t really remember enough to compare the two writers. From the description of Leonard's writing style on Wikipedia, I'd say it's a pretty good comparison.

I read two or three books a month and have done since lockdown, but even now I have to make a conscious decision to put down the phone and actually start reading.

For it’s getting into the habit, even if it’s just a couple of pages to keep it regular. I try to read minimum 5 days out of 7. Phone down, radio off, cup of tea and settle in.

One thing that helped with that is using the StoryGraph app - you can list books you want to read and leave ratings, and you can update your reading progress. So each day I update the page number I’m on - if you read on consecutive days you start your ‘reading streak’ which is kind of fun to keep going.

For me it adds a little incentive if I’m feeling lazy, though I think some might need to be careful that it doesn’t add unwanted pressure and take the fun out of it.

The app also gives results in graph form (number of books read, style, genre etc) and it’s satisfying to see that build up over time.

6FE87762-569A-470A-A856-7CBBF9B7426D.jpeg 18B79CF3-10EB-463F-A6DA-4DE9ABA6D35E.png B81988DA-EADD-4EC6-97D0-9B66A3FF909F.png EDFE00F3-69A7-49F0-8138-22776F795259.png
A6869623-88A6-4B00-BE21-158CA3103597.jpeg

Have you tried audiobooks? They work for me fine in certain circumstances. Say if I am doing something that doesn't require 100% of my brain to be engaged, autopilot tasks, they are good. I also find that if the author is not reading their own book but instead some gal/guy with an interesting voice, that doesn't engage me either.

I can vibe with a podcast in terms of audio as there's a back and forth but I reckon for audiobooks I may struggle as my mind wanders and it's not as easier as glancing back over a sentence to make sure I've understood it but I appreciate the suggestion! Got enough physical books and don't necessarily want to shell out for another subscription...

@Hotshot-Tottenham That's a great shout, it's definitely something I will try, it might seem silly to some but I do like being able to monitor progress and keep a run going, thanks for the tip mate.

I can vibe with a podcast in terms of audio as there's a back and forth but I reckon for audiobooks I may struggle as my mind wanders and it's not as easier as glancing back over a sentence to make sure I've understood it but I appreciate the suggestion! Got enough physical books and don't necessarily want to shell out for another subscription...

@Hotshot-Tottenham That's a great shout, it's definitely something I will try, it might seem silly to some but I do like being able to monitor progress and keep a run going, thanks for the tip mate.

Cool, no worries.

Yep, I find the visualization of ‘progress’ useful and sort of addictive in a good way.

One other thing I do is make sure I have some unread books on my shelf - create a bit pressure on myself to keep up the pace. (I know a lot of people set a reading goal for number of books read in a year - I don’t do that as I think the joy is in the reading rather than just totting arbitrary numbers, but I do find keeping up a certain pace keeps me in the habit. I try not to go two days without reading.)

I’ll tend to go for a short book after a longer one, and make sure I mix in some non-fiction every third or fourth book. Keeps it varied and interesting.

It might sound a little old school, but I get most of my audio books from the library. Well, a site (borrow box) which I log in to with my library card. And it's free! Depends where you live of course...

Back