• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What the pundits say

So he only thinks Wenger is a failure if Spurs or Leicester win but not if Emirates Marketing Project win it?

The level of near hysteria surrounding that Arsenal loss at the weekend is ridiculous. They lost at old trafford, a place where they hardly ever win anyway, and are 5 points off the top with 33 still on offer. The fact that 'inferior' teams have the audacity to be above them in the table at this stage of the season has really sent half of them over the edge.
Don't get me wrong, it is funny to watch but I think they are taking knee-jerking to a whole new level.

Thing that's worrying me is, what effect is all this hysteria going to have on the Gooners ahead of the NLD?

It's fudging-well going to wind them up so much they'll be like cornered rats going for the jugular, that's what. I wish these pundits would all shut-the-fudge-up or better still go back to canonising Wenger again because that way we might get a chance to beat them playing a game of football.

"If Emirates Marketing Project win the league he can turn around and say 'they've got all the money in the world and can go and buy whoever they want, so would whoever I bought have made much difference?'

"But if Leicester or Tottenham win the league after he said they didn't need any players then I don't see how he can keep his job."

He's spent years telling Arsenal fans they can't compete because of a lack of financial firepower - ourselves or Leicester winning the league would show that up quite remarkably

Thing that's worrying me is, what effect is all this hysteria going to have on the Gooners ahead of the NLD?

It's fudgeing-well going to wind them up so much they'll be like cornered rats going for the jugular, that's what. I wish these pundits would all shut-the-fudge-up or better still go back to canonising Wenger again because that way we might get a chance to beat them playing a game of football.
I don't think players are affected too much by the crap spouted by pundits and in the media. The fact they are playing Spurs really should be all the motivation they need. If Arsenal turn us over at the weekend I guarantee everyone that is sticking the knife now will do an about flip and start tossing each other off again about ze beautiful futbol.

So he only thinks Wenger is a failure if Spurs or Leicester win but not if Emirates Marketing Project win it?

The level of near hysteria surrounding that Arsenal loss at the weekend is ridiculous. They lost at old trafford, a place where they hardly ever win anyway, and are 5 points off the top with 33 still on offer. The fact that 'inferior' teams have the audacity to be above them in the table at this stage of the season has really sent half of them over the edge.
Don't get me wrong, it is funny to watch but I think they are taking knee-jerking to a whole new level.

Arsenals loss has been massively over scrutinised. Their fans going mad on the radio, Wenger out blah blah

yeh they lost to a poor Utd team on paper but it happens. They have a bad record there and at the end of the day its still a hard place to play

I still see Arsenal going on to win it un-fortunately. They always manage to get one over us and i dont expect it to be different this year.

I have to say I think most of the reaction is spot on.

One thing is losing. One thing is losing and playing well. But to put in that kind of a performance against that United side in the situation they find themselves is a really low level. I suppose anyone can have an off day and how Wenger and Arsenal respond should be the basis to judge them on rather than that individual game. But I still think a solid negative reaction to that performance was more than warranted.

Things can still change very quickly for them (and us) at this stage of the season. But with Chelsea, City and United all stumbling somewhere between utterly and quite badly this season the stage really has been set for them to secure the title. The pressure fudging should be on them... Actually, the fact that there's not more pressure on Wenger and Arsenal at this point of the season for not being in a stronger position is just evidence how how comfortable Wenger sits thanks to his early results in his career and just everyone being used to him being at Arsenal.

Top managers would be crying over being perceived as so weak that they weren't under more pressure to deliver this season in Wenger's position.

In the Evening Standard by Tony Evans

It's literally utterly fudging ridiculous, such a huge clam

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...e-but-it-s-great-for-the-league-a3222401.html

Leicester and Tottenham are killing the beautiful game. Good. The revenge of the scufflers is the best thing that has happened to the Premier League in 15 years.

Make no mistake: the top two sides in the table produce excellent football. It is just that there is nothing fancy about it. Neither team would win prizes for style. In the age of marquee signings where players are described as entertainers, the League’s best sides succeed through collective effort.

Both teams chase and harry opponents, applying constant pressure. Yesterday at White Hart Lane was a perfect example of how their approach works. Spurs swarmed towards Manchester United’s ball carriers whenever a wayward pass tested the visiting side’s control, when they dallied on the ball or any time they let their concentration lapse.

There were spells where the game became a whirl of elbows and legs as players of both teams fought for possession. It makes for bruising, attritional fare — football’s equivalent of fixing bayonets. It was exhausting even to watch but it drained United’s energy and belief. The groundwork for an exhilarating final 20 minutes was more than an hour of scrappy, gritty action.

Mauricio Pochettino’s team do not expect to be given time and space to be creative. They earn it by making life uncomfortable for opponents.

At times it seems at odds with Tottenham’s traditions — Glenn Hoddle would shudder at the ugliness of it all — but it is getting results. If you want entertainment in the ball-juggling, pointless dribbling, I-want-to-grow-up-to-be-Barcelona sense, go to the Emirates. See how that works out.

Spurs and Leicester grind teams down. It’s less about game-changing moments of individual genius than the triumph of the collective. It took the Midlands side 66 minutes to wear down Sunderland yesterday. Leicester’s 2-0 win brought to an end a four-game run of 1-0 victories. It reads like hard work and it is. Claudio Ranieri’s team have quality in Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez but would anyone have swapped that pair for Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil at the beginning of the season? Would any of Leicester’s first XI have made the Arsenal squad before the campaign started, never mind the team?

The same is true of Spurs. Harry Kane’s goals have had a huge impact and Dele Alli is emerging as the best English thrusting midfielder since Steven Gerrard but Spurs are not challenging for the title because of their stars. The supporting cast provide a level of commitment that is inspiring.

Bill Nicholson, the greatest of Tottenham managers, would have approved of the workrate of Pochettino’s team. The man who brought the Double to White Hart Lane in 1961 said: “If you don’t have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can’t claim to have done your best.”

Spurs leave nothing on the pitch, not even regrets. Kyle Walker and Danny Rose charge up and down the line like sprinters. Eric Dier, at 22, combines perpetual motion with a veteran’s intelligence. Even Erik Lamela, scoffed at for not justifying his £30 million transfer fee, puts in an exhausting shift and is an increasingly important cog in Tottenham’s system. The Argentinian was signed to be White Hart Lane’s next superstar after the departure of Gareth Bale. Instead, Lamela has become a footsoldier in Pochettino’s revolution, showing an unsuspected appetite for battle.

The only team in the division that match Spurs for effort is Leicester. Pochettino spoke admiringly about Ranieri’s team yesterday and made it clear that his side are “fighting” and waiting for an opportunity if the League leaders slip up. It is unlikely they will. Leicester are characterised by the same raw, stripped-down desire for victory as Tottenham. They have none of the sense of entitlement that Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project display on a regular basis.

Forget sexy football and that nonsense. You won’t find it at the top of the Premier League. While both teams can be thrilling, Spurs and Leicester play hard and ugly when it’s necessary. They recognise that one of the truly great things in football is when a team give their all and succeed against the odds. That’s more beautiful than anything the top flight’s underachieving entertainers could ever serve up.

I like the idea that we can play "play hard and ugly when it’s necessary", it's not something we are normally associated with being able to do. But to make out this is the way we have played this season as a matter of course, that we are "killing the beautiful game", that we "wouldn't win any prizes for style", that yesterday's game for made for "bruising, attritional fare " and that Glenn, GLENN, my hero GLENN, would "shudder at the ugliness of it all", is just total b*llocks. You do wonder what people watch sometimes - if they watch at all.

We have scored 3 goals or more 10 times this season yet we don't play exciting attacking football ok then pal

We have scored 3 goals or more 10 times this season yet we don't play exciting attacking football ok then pal

Precisely.

Think he also needs reminding who the leading scorers are in Premier League (granted we might not be once City play their game in hand v Saudi Sportswashing Machine...)

Glad someone picked up on this....I was stunned when reading it on the train home. Thing is the general overview of the article is that he is praising Spurs (and Leicester) for being able to do the 'ugly' things like working hard, relentless running and that we possess these abilities whereas Arsenal, City and United don't - yet it also carries the narrative that we are anti-football - the statement about GHod shuddering at the thought of it was quite amazing.

I know he's a Liverpool fan but he is writing for the LONDON Evening Standard.....can't work out what his agenda is. Overall it's a very poorly thought out article.

Back