• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What player should get a statue outside the ground?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
I drink in a nice pub except for the fact that there are a couple of gooners in there, the other day they were ribbing me about how they have a nice new statue of Bergkamp outside their new ground and we dont have any.

Got me to thinking i am not sure any of our players in the last few years deserve one, they either did not stay long enough or did not win anything. I hope when the new stadium gets built we have a few statues, i would have gazza, hoddle and greavsie as he was our top scorer.

Some years ago i had the misfortune to go to stamford bridge and they had a nice idea of having portraits of their "great" players, maybe there we could have some of the good players but the statues should be left for the great. Obviously Billy Nich should get one by the gates.

So who do you think should get a statue?

Bill Nich and Danny Blanchflower.

I don't think it's appropriate to have statues of people who are still alive, so Dave Mackay and Steve Perryman will have to wait their turn.

Those 4 stand out for me.

Interesting point GB, I'm not sure I fully agree. Would it be wrong for United to put up a Ferguson statue at this point? Personally I don't think so.

But there should definitely be some cooling off period before putting up a statue, make sure the person is an actual legend not just someone who did well for a while.

I like the names you put forward too.

(At least we don't have a Michael Jackson statue!)

Personally I don't see the need for it at any club. Would be better off keeping a highlights real of a players best moments and putting it in the stadium for people to look at years later.

freund.jpg

Bill Nich and Danny Blanchflower.

I don't think it's appropriate to have statues of people who are still alive, so Dave Mackay and Steve Perryman will have to wait their turn.

Those 4 stand out for me.

Good point, inclined to agree. Other candidates worthy of future consideration in addition to those you already mentioned include Cliff Jones, Jimmy Greaves, Glenn Hoddle, Gary Mabbutt and Ledley King. But if it has to be one and one only then its Billy Nich for me.

Last edited:
I'd prefer an NFL style hall of fame head busts in the museum for individual players.

If we were to have statues then it should be big ones, like a team one of the 61-62 team lifting trophy, one of us lifting the uefa cup. Early eighties team winning FA cup. Take the statues from iconic photos or from TV pictures.

Have the statues in alcoves as part of the stadium wall going around the stadium. The empty alcoves can be used as selling areas like programmes, scarfs etc until they are filled with iconic moments. For me teams should be celebrated not individuals, after all no one player is bigger than the team. (Little poke at goon statues)

From my era, any of:

Allen, Clive
Hoddle
Waddle
Lineker
Gascoigne
Mabbut
Klinsmann
Sheringham

Andy Sinton 8-[

From my era, any of:

Allen, Clive
Hoddle
Waddle
Lineker
Gascoigne
Mabbut
Klinsmann
Sheringham

Andy Sinton 8-[

The idea of a statue of someone who only spent 1, 2 or 3 seasons with the club makes me sad.

Similarly, a statue of someone that never won anything with the club also makes me sad.

I know, that's why I made the point of 'my era' :(

Since I've been a Spurs fan we've not had a large amount of great players who have been with the club long-term and we've only won:

1x FA Cup
2x League Cup
1x Peace Cup \o/

****, missed out Ledley there on my list.

Blanchflower, Nicholson, Mackay and Greaves are probably the most worthy. Goons are dolling them out like England caps!

Back