• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is wrong with our defence?

Our full backs are the problem and always have been. You look at some of the players we have had at cb in recent years King, Woodgate, Dawson, Vertonghen etc some of the best cbs in the league yet we have always leaked goals. Have we ever had a full back pairing that are better at defending than going forward?

We will not move to the next level while we still have BAE and Walker switching off atleast twice a game.

We have indeed allowed our opponents the lowest amount of shots on goal with an average of 9.9 per game.We have the 5th highest number of tackles and 4th highest number of interceptions. We have an average of 51.9 % possession with a high pass success rate. We don't give away any more fouls than other teams.

We have only managed 7 clean sheets in the league, with 5 more in the cups. We have failed to score only 6 times in 49 games.

Clean sheets:

League: Aston Villa (H), Fulham (A), Swansea (H), Stoke (H), Aston Villa (A), QPR (A), West Brom (A)

Cups: Carlisle (A), Coventry (H), Lazio (H), Lazio (A), Inter (H)

Does this mean we should be questioning Lloris at all do you think?

Our full backs are the problem and always have been. You look at some of the players we have had at cb in recent years King, Woodgate, Dawson, Vertonghen etc some of the best cbs in the league yet we have always leaked goals. Have we ever had a full back pairing that are better at defending than going forward?

We will not move to the next level while we still have BAE and Walker switching off atleast twice a game.

BAE has been making noises about wanting to leave and AVB does not see him as an automatic choice (unless he has been nursing him back from injury) Walker is still keen to pass the ball 30 yards backwards to an opponent but going forward he helped snatch the point v Everton.

I thint its combination off:
- individual mistakes: Walker get a lot of the stick followed by Naughton and Benny however the CBs arent blameless themselves
- missing Sandro is probably also a factor though not as easy to assess how much of a factor this is compared to how easy it is to see individual mistakes
- constant rotation of CB pairing I think also doesnt help

as the figures on the previous page showed though, this is as much of a problem as up front and, given that we dont ever seem to win or lose my much more than the odd goal (certainly compared to other top teams), scoring 2 or 3 more over hte course of a season plus conceding 2 or 3 less could make a huge different in terms of points

So six goals worse than the Champions in terms of defence and twenty goals worse than the Champions in terms of attack. Case in point?

I'd also like to see the chance conversion stats. It seems to me like we should have been converting a higher percentage of chances this season.

My theory would be that the extra goals scored mostly comes in trashings, but every conceded goal you remove could result in more points.

Some of the goals can be attributed to AVB system of rotating possession of the ball, where we then lose possession in a dangerous area and concede a goal. Walker's gift to Liverpool being a case in point.

Not saying it a bad system, just that we haven't fully got to grips with it yet. One or two new signings who are familiar with his system (LB in particular) should help reduce the goals against IMO.

Let's hope for next league games that Arsenal vs Tottenham was the turning point.

Until that match : 21 conceded / 12 games
After : 20 goals conceded / 21 games

Ref to the stats : Some teams have -1 match

I agree about the fullbacks, they should be like twins providing structural balance. The best pair and they should be a pair were Dixon and Winterburn, and then Pearce and Neville for England.

despite loris being captain of the french team, i still don't see him exerting authority in the box. the best defence have the keeper and one of the CBs controlling everything the both of them can see, helping each other directing and controlling the other players in a systematic fashion, picking out the odd run and key players. maybe when our defence gets more settled we'll see more coordination between them. how is loris' command of the english language?

Ignoring the stats and going off my own observations, I see this team wasting a lot more chances than I see them making defensive errors.

We have no problems scoring goals. 11 in our last 5 games. Ade is in form and Defoe scored in the last game. Dempsey and Sigg are scoring too.
But we have kept only one clean sheet in our last 14 games and conceded 16 goals in our last 8 games.

Why is this? Obviously individual errors have cost us goals but is our system wrong or are our defenders not good enough?

You what?

Aside from the last game which is hopefully the catalyst for a strong finish to the season, I would say our defence has been fine this season considering injuries and the bedding in of a new keeper/loss of Ledders.

We have good options at CB, BAE, Naughton, Rose and the future England right back. Plus one of the best keepers in Europe.

Up front however...

Fine is not good enough. We have conceded more goals than any other team in the top 5.

Maybe so but as much as I like Vertonghen he has made a number of mistakes that have cause us to let in cheap goals

Ye gods. There is absolutely NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with our attack. In our last 11 games we have scored 22 goals.
Manchester fudging United have only scored 19. However United have only conceded 9 goals to our 19.

Ye gods. There is absolutely NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with our attack. In our last 11 games we have scored 22 goals.
Manchester fudging United have only scored 19. However United have only conceded 9 goals to our 19.

Goals for:

Manchester United - 78
Tottenham Hotspur - 58

Goals against:

Manchester United - 35
Tottenham Hotspur - 41

Goals for:

Manchester United - 78
Tottenham Hotspur - 58

Goals against:

Manchester United - 35
Tottenham Hotspur - 41

What do you think is more likely to give us more points: Winning 4-1 instead of 2-1 or keeping more clean sheets?

I think we are still struggling adapting with the high line. Emirates Marketing Project for example we were very lucky to only concede one especially in the first half when every time they broke they looked like they were going to score. Its also harsh to lay all the blame on our fullbacks. Our CB's have all gotten caught out from time to time and our midfield on several occasions have given far too much space.

As good as Dembele has been I can remember at least 3 instances in past month or so where he has overdribbled and it has led straight to a goal. Basically saying its hard to lay the blame on one or even a few players generally when you concede the whole team has some part of the blame.

In regards to OP ADE IN FORM?!?!:ross:

I think we are still struggling adapting with the high line. Emirates Marketing Project for example we were very lucky to only concede one especially in the first half when every time they broke they looked like they were going to score. Its also harsh to lay all the blame on our fullbacks. Our CB's have all gotten caught out from time to time and our midfield on several occasions have given far too much space.

As good as Dembele has been I can remember at least 3 instances in past month or so where he has overdribbled and it has led straight to a goal. Basically saying its hard to lay the blame on one or even a few players generally when you concede the whole team has some part of the blame.

In regards to OP ADE IN FORM?!?!:ross:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/results

Sigh..3 of our last 4 games were at home. Ade scored in 2 of them.

This is supposed to be about the defence but just for those who don't watch games but like to talk about the form of those involved..in our last 5 games scorers Dempsey 3, Adebayor 2, Bale 2, Sig 2, Defoe and Verts 1 each. No problems about attack.

If our defence was as mean as United's we would be sitting pretty.

Back