• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our strongest XI?

Eriksen just had a very bad day. I watched him a few times yesterday when he wasn't directly involved in the game and whereas normally you'd expect to see him still running, pulling opposition players towards him, making space, he just seemed a fairly static, peripheral participant. Poch's comments after the game about Eriksen were the closest to publicly criticising a player I've heard from him. Maybe benching him wouldn't be a bad idea, just to get him chomping at the bit to get involved. Even 50% on form, he's a key cog in the wheel for us so hopefully it's just a temporary blip in form and he'll soon be back again deserving his place in the starting XI.

On reflection, Dembele being out was probably the bigger reason for the change. Let's hope he regains his form soon
Actually I thought he one of the better performers versus Leicester, though certainly not back to his very best. One thing I noticed was that about 70mins in Wanyama was totally spent. He was not tracking runs, not hustling back to cover. Nothing left in the tank and that is why he was hooked I guess. Dembele who you might expect to flag near the end considering his recent absence actually had a relatively strong end to the game. In saying that our inadequacies in this match were not a whole lot to do with the central pairing IMO but rather the 3 ahead of them, who frankly were not great.

Eriksen just had a very bad day. I watched him a few times yesterday when he wasn't directly involved in the game and whereas normally you'd expect to see him still running, pulling opposition players towards him, making space, he just seemed a fairly static, peripheral participant. Poch's comments after the game about Eriksen were the closest to publicly criticising a player I've heard from him. Maybe benching him wouldn't be a bad idea, just to get him chomping at the bit to get involved. Even 50% on form, he's a key cog in the wheel for us so hopefully it's just a temporary blip in form and he'll soon be back again deserving his place in the starting XI.
Yes yesterday he was hiding on the pitch IMO. Confidence is low I would think.

Leaving aside the whole discussion about shirking tackles and what not, when he had the ball at his feet against leicester he was more than willing to pass the ball and responsibility on as fast as he could, backwards and sidewards mostly. Courage in the tackle is one thing but courage in possession is another and he had neither yesterday. This is not a good place to be for our main creative outlet. He needs a goal/assist or something to get him going again. He ticks, we tick.

this is my first eleven for the derby:

Lloris

Walker Toby Verts Rose

Dier Wanyama

Lamela Dele Dembele

Janssen

I think Wanyama is great but we have to play with some drive and purpose. I think Dier is the best holding mid at the club, and as such, I think he needs to start. He doesn't play especially with Victor BUT in a game like this we need our strongest out there, this Victor edges ahead of Winks who I think is very very close to being a starter.

I drop Eriksen to the bench in order to have the extra muscle and retention of Dembele up-top (who will also not allow their FB to get away with much pressing), with the further caveat that Mousa is told to hammer some shots FFS!
Lamela and Dele speak for themselves. Coco is going to be very important defensively too, and we have to hope the ref is not a prick in this regard.

We cannot rush Hazza back for this, take it easy with him, have him on the bench. I think the three behind Janssen would be tight enough to the front for Janssen to do what he does well right now, play with back to goal and bring others in around him.

The bench?

Eriksen, Winks, Georgie, Davies, Hazza, Trippier, Vorm

Yes yesterday he was hiding on the pitch IMO. Confidence is low I would think.

Leaving aside the whole discussion about shirking tackles and what not, when he had the ball at his feet against leicester he was more than willing to pass the ball and responsibility on as fast as he could, backwards and sidewards mostly. Courage in the tackle is one thing but courage in possession is another and he had neither yesterday. This is not a good place to be for our main creative outlet. He needs a goal/assist or something to get him going again. He ticks, we tick.

THIS is what killed me yesterday. The fact he is a jelly in tackles is known. His lack of courage on the ball suggests there is something far deeper going on, and I again wonder if he has anxiety issues.

The problem is that most of our players are much of a muchness( ie as good as one another), what i want to see is Kane played in the three behind Janssen so that would mean leaving one of Eriksen, Alii, Lamela or even Son on the bench. Our back four picks itself. I may even leave Dembélé on the bench as well as he has not struck form yet, he is great at holding onto the ball but in all honesty in/on a lot of occasions we see no end product in assists or goals from him).

I will now go and put my flack jacket on to await the comeback from the Dembélé lovers. ;)

No, I see what you're saying about him and it was a criticism I had for a long time. I think he is most effective when in the three behind the striker personally, and as such, for me, he has to play up there. I agree, when he is deeper he simply doesn't manage to do enough unless there is a speed break on.

Actually I thought he one of the better performers versus Leicester, though certainly not back to his very best. One thing I noticed was that about 70mins in Wanyama was totally spent. He was not tracking runs, not hustling back to cover. Nothing left in the tank and that is why he was hooked I guess. Dembele who you might expect to flag near the end considering his recent absence actually had a relatively strong end to the game. In saying that our inadequacies in this match were not a whole lot to do with the central pairing IMO but rather the 3 ahead of them, who frankly were not great.

My reason for picking out the loss of Dembele is that it saw us switch to 4-1-4-1. Whilst playing this our fullbacks did not get as forward as much and our inside forwards spent more time wide where they are less effective and cannot support the striker.

Mine has been the same since the summer:

----------------Lloris
Walker---Alder----Verts----Rose
----------Dier--------Dembele
--Lamela------Alli--------Son
---------------Kane

Sissoko, Wanyama and Janssen haven't done enough yet to challenge that, while Eriksen is still stagnant at his 2014 level

Mine has been the same since the summer:

----------------Lloris
Walker---Alder----Verts----Rose
----------Dier--------Dembele
--Lamela------Alli--------Son
---------------Kane

Sissoko, Wanyama and Janssen haven't done enough yet to challenge that, while Eriksen is still stagnant at his 2014 level

Basically agree with this. I'd swap Alli for Dembele (cuz Mousa's still not fit) and bring Eriksen back into the side for the Arsenal game. I like Wanyama and think he's been very good, but Dier gives us so much attacking impetus in central midfield as well as excellent long passing. He's a good enough player to play in central defense, but I want to get back to what was working so well last season.

On form, he makes the side tick and is our most creative player.

I agree. It is no coincidence to me that generally when Eriksen plays well, we look a cohesive unit. However when he is poor, then the team usually stutters.

I thought his easy season poor form was contract related, but it seems to have continued even after he signed. I am now wondering if there is something deeper that isn't right with him. Some off-field, personal issues perhaps.

I agree. It is no coincidence to me that generally when Eriksen plays well, we look a cohesive unit. However when he is poor, then the team usually stutters.

I thought his easy season poor form was contract related, but it seems to have continued even after he signed. I am now wondering if there is something deeper that isn't right with him. Some off-field, personal issues perhaps.

He's one of our key players and we are at our most fluid when he is on form pulling the strings.

Pretty much every player stank last night but I thought that Eriksen looked better when he dropped back and was certainly better that Dembele there.

Back