• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What car shall I get?

What car should I get

• VW Scirocco

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Mercedes SLK

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Mazda MX5

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Fiesta ST or similar

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
Looking to get rid of my current car as it needs about £1k spending on it to get it through the MOT that's due in a couple of months. Current car is a 3.2 V6 TT. It's the Mk1 version, I've really enjoyed this car, love the speed of it but it's cost me a lot in the past with various issues and with this latest list of things that need doing and the fact the cars probably only worth about £4k I think it's time to update.

The problem is that I don't really want to be spending a fortune on a new car but I have expensive taste. I really want a fun little car but my wife says I should get something more sensible so I don't have to change again when we have kids. My choices so far are...

VW Scirocco - Would cost around £10k and would be somewhat suitable for family. I think it's starting to look a bit dated now as it's 6 years old and they'll probably do a new one soon.
Merc SLK - Would cost £15k and completely unsuitable for family. Love these though!
Maxda MX-5 - Would be dirt cheap, probably only a couple of thousand but unsuitable for family. Not overly keen on these but they are apparently good fun.
Fiesta ST or similar - Fits the family bill but I'm worried I'd hate it. Would only be about £5k to get.

Any other suggestions or opinions on the options above would be much appreciated.

forget the SLK it has one of the worst ride positions you'll ever find, MX-5 isn't a lot better. Fiesta is too small as a family car so Scirocco it is.

I like my X type but would go for the F type if I had the cash.

I like VW's.

How about something like a Golf GTD? You could pick up a mk6 version for £10-15K. Looks good, the 5 door is good for the family and tootling around (pretty fuel efficient for that class of car) but still packs a punch on the open road.

On an related note re: VW's - I've driven the Mk7 Golf and they're great to drive but the new fangled 'auto-handbrake' or whatever it's called freaks me the **** out. There's something about physically lifting that thing up by hand that makes it seem more secure to me for some reason. Do all new cars have that feature now or is it a VW thing?

golf is always a good shout, very versatile but tight for space with baby buggy and the like

personally I have a simple rule of thumb when buying a new car, buy a mondeo

tt, slk, scirocco, mx5?

just let your wife pick her own car

haha, I do tend to like cars that people say are girly. The 3.2V6 TT is definitely not for girls though, it scares the Mrs. She already has a VW Golf, I do like the VWs but I can't have a golf the same as her so that's why I'm thinking scirocco.

Take a look at the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron! GTI performance and VERY high mpg. In city you can drive it basically for free on electricity alone, but you don't have the limitations of a pure electric car.
The A3 also drives excellent, and the e-tron comes fitted with more equipment than the standard A3. I have a A3 Quattro now, and the e-tron will definately be my next car. I rarely drive more than 50 kilometers per day,
so I would basically run it almost at no cost apart from insurance, road tax ++. It would cost you lot more than the ones you have listed, as you can only buy it new, but in the long run you'd be better off anyway.

Last edited:
It depends what your budget is. For a family car you definitely need a 5 door IMHO. I like the scirocco but as they only do the 3 doors it makes it hard for getting little ones in or out and using a car seat etc. The above suggestions of golf and Audi A3 are good. It depends how much performance/economy you want.
Like I said depends on budget and how many miles you do to choose diesel over petrol. I've got an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 tb multi air( or I should say my wife has) Its 170 bhp so quite nippy if needed but if driven sensibly its also not too bad economy wise and you can probably pick up a low mileage one for well under 10k

If you can factor in the petrol and servicing, an E46 M3 ticks all the boxes. Convertible or coupe (started writing Capoue : ) they are amazing cars. I've never like the BM brand, but for a balance of comfort, space, toys, and almost super car speed you can't go wrong. But they can, so buy a good one. 10k will get you a v good one. 15 an exceptional example. 10 years old now but were 40-60k new.

Last edited:
New version of the Scirocco out very soon. They are very small and expensive for what you get. Kitted out well but good look finding a decent one for under £15k, they really do hold their value.

Just get a Passat, got to get rid of mine and im gutted. New job and have to get a company car, a new astra 1.7 cdti.... Hope its now too bad, but hey, a new car is a new car,

I've worked out the answer.

Buy one of those new Teslas, take out all the batteries and put a V8 in. That's the best car around right there.

Back