• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Were we very very close to tying up a new LB?

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
Who was that Real Madird left back? there was a lost of noise during the Bale transfer saga and I reckon we may have been very very close to his signing (Contrao?? or summin?).

This or we were after another LB that was never reported.

OR!! :lol: BAE did something that ****ed off AVB, which led to him being loaned out to QPR.

The reason I post this is because I honestly do not believe AVB solely relied on the untested Rose for that spot. Yes we know Verts can cover but he's not exactly in the athletic wing back mould of Walker et al.

I very much doubt Noughton was considered for the spot or that Andros was a fill in (prior to his heroics).

So what happened?? We have suffered because our gameplan is to have two attacking WBs (not defenders) releasing our inverted players (think Andros and Siggy).

This for me is the main gripe - we had no Plan B for Rose getting injured... So what is the story here? Did we miss out on the perfect LB/WB? Did we honestly think Rose was the answer????

I don't know but I really like Rose, probably gets underrated because of his nationality, hope he's back soon.

I guess that would be a question for our new director of football to answer, im guessing we thought verts could cover it as he does for his national team.

Can't say i've been too disappointed with Rose, when fit he's actually done better than i had expected.

The lack of a proper backup LB for Rose is concerning though.

Naughton looks alright, however i can't help but think we'd look better with four out and out attacking full backs. He doesn't really keep the width, isn't good enough at LB to be played there and doesn't have the pace to stretch the opposition.

If i was to pick the things we most needed to sort about our squad for the long term it would be an attacking RB (Backup) an attacking LB (backup) and a sweeper keeper (backup).

Other then those i think we have the players to make it work.

It sounded like Coentrao was all set to happen until Baines to United hit problems on deadline day and United made a late move for Coentrao, which scuppered our efforts.

I think there is a very good chance we'll resurrect it in January, especially as Moyes will go for Baines again.

the odd thing for me is how people have forgotten how dodgy BAE looked when he came back from injury last season, he wasn't half the player he was the season before

I think demoting BAE to reserve left-back, with Rose as number 1, would have been the most sensible choice. BAE is a better left-back than Naughton, Fryers or even Vertonghen (imo). Then we could keep Vertonghen at centre-back and keep Naughton as the backup right-back. Would have been more sensible to loan Fryers out and have him come back to us next season, with lots of first-team football under his belt.

The problem with verts is he offered nothing going forward yesterday, and considering yesterday he played LW this is crucial. Get him up for set peices but not to create. This is not his fault he isnt this type of player.... BAE would have been perfect yesterday and made us not so one sided on the wings.

Hull doubled up on Townsend as Verts was no threat. I appreciate Lennon has a lot to say in this and he should have done more than he did... he looked so uninterested yesterday...

Because there weren't many options who would have been an improvement on BAE and Rose. The odd thing was letting BAE go without having a replacement.

Maybe they thought BAE needed playing time (with a manager that knows him) rather than an occassional EL game whereas Fryers could be "eased" in to a first team role via the EL, does anyone know if there's a possible call back clause in the loan to QPR?

Maybe they thought BAE needed playing time (with a manager that knows him) rather than an occassional EL game whereas Fryers could be "eased" in to a first team role via the EL, does anyone know if there's a possible call back clause in the loan to QPR?

I'm sure we would have used it by now if there was one.

It sounded like Coentrao was all set to happen until Baines to United hit problems on deadline day and United made a late move for Coentrao, which scuppered our efforts.

I think there is a very good chance we'll resurrect it in January, especially as Moyes will go for Baines again.

Thats exactly what I though when I read about Utd trying again for (and probably getting) Baines. I think it was only us and them interested wasn't it? He's still not getting a sniff at Real either.

Back