• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Nuno's exit is interesting, he didn't get long, and we weren't as bad as what we've seen recently imo.
Nuno is a nice guy by all accounts. A unifier, team builder who tries to take people with him.
He walked into a split dressing room with players who did not want to be there, where going through the motions and had mentally checked out.
It was never going to work. He was not cut out to do what the club needed at that point in time.
Conte was, but we don't like not being the nice guys and didn't follow through with the project.

He isn’t going anywhere, we will finish around 5th when most had us about 7th after losing Kane. About time kneejerks stopped and a manager was actually given time to put his methods into practice
It's not knee jerk for me. He is getting fundamentals wrong, is blinkered with his only one way of playing and as for set piece play is borderline stupid ...

His in game management lacks... seems like a nice chap but I just don't see it.

The squad lacks but he is getting away with it of late ... we look ill prepared and I think we lose to city and pool comfortably... I just don't see it.

Would Happily get de zerbi in

Have we had a good performance since November though. Or are we just getting worse and worse? Despite having all the training time in the world/half the fixtures of our rivals
We need games.
Training is fine sometimes, but there is nothing like games to get the feel and confidence going.
We've lost belief and I think that is partly down to not having it tested in games.

I would agree in general, but you need to see some signs that things are heading in the right direction. This summer is too soon of course as the squad clearly needs a lot more work, but you can't just pretend everything will work out three or five years down the line if you just keep believing and spend more money. Ange and his coaches are supposed to add something to the mix as well.
Yeah three years is too long in much the same way as one season isn't long enough.
End of next season will be the marker for me.

Nuno is a nice guy by all accounts. A unifier, team builder who tries to take people with him.
He walked into a split dressing room with players who did not want to be there, where going through the motions and had mentally checked out.
It was never going to work. He was not cut out to do what the club needed at that point in time.
Conte was, but we don't like not being the nice guys and didn't follow through with the project.

To be fair, that wasn't what I heard about Nuno. I heard the opposite - that he was a little cold and distant. Not necessarily rude (or even not nice), but just not the sort of coach you could have a warm conversation with.

This bunch has always responded to an arm around the shoulder, larger than life manager. Harry, Poch, etc. Analytical types don't do well here.

I suspect that is at least partly the reason why we hired Postecoglou - big on vibes, tactics not so much.

It's not knee jerk for me. He is getting fundamentals wrong, is blinkered with his only one way of playing and as for set piece play is borderline stupid ...

His in game management lacks... seems like a nice chap but I just don't see it.

The squad lacks but he is getting away with it of late ... we look ill prepared and I think we lose to city and pool comfortably... I just don't see it.

Would Happily get de zerbi in
De Zerbi is only the answer if the question is, ‘Should we appoint an overly-emotional lunatic who seems to be taking his current team backwards?’

To be fair, that wasn't what I heard about Nuno. I heard the opposite - that he was a little cold and distant. Not necessarily rude (or even not nice), but just not the sort of coach you could have a warm conversation with.

This bunch has always responded to an arm around the shoulder, larger than life manager. Harry, Poch, etc. Analytical types don't do well here.

I suspect that is at least partly the reason why we hired Postecoglou - big on vibes, tactics not so much.

this bunch?

it's only Son and Davies left from the Poch years

Have we had a good performance since November though. Or are we just getting worse and worse? Despite having all the training time in the world/half the fixtures of our rivals

I think the greater narrative should be...

1) Postecoglu had to flip a rotten set of foundations as well as redecorate the house.
2) As has happened in our past, we over-achieved the first few months of the season.
3) Our luck with injuries was awful in winter.
4) You can talk about lack of games, but Klinsmann made sure Sonny paid for that, we had AFCON too, plus this system is physically unforgiving and takes time to adapt to.
5) The fluctuation by-in to the system was always going to be a given; this is a hard way to play great football and requires faith. That faith will waver with results when things are tough. Add the drum of impatient supporters via social media, and it can affect players.
6) We have suffered from not being able to move on either PEH or LoCelso. Had we moved PEH, I think we'd have got Gallagher. Admittedly I am in supposition land now.
7) I am relieved to an extent that this is happening now as I do not think Ange does not learn who he has. He seems to be both brave and decisive. He will need to be over the next two to three windows.
8) On reflection, Europa League is about right for us right now.

I think we keep building. And I think we give him players he wants.

this bunch?

it's only Son and Davies left from the Poch years
There are zero players left from the Harry days, too.

It's more that, imo - we tend to attract certain personalities to the club. And they aren't the ones who can stand tough environments or tough love. They tend to be pretty fragile emotionally and mentally.

As to why that is, I have a few ideas related to how we're run - but this board doesn't like those explanations.

Games and changes
Neither have happened
The disjointed fixtures have been an issue we can't control, similar with the injuries.
The sticking with players that are out of form (son & kulu) or just not good enough/suitable (Peh), combinations that don't appear to click (maddison and Bentancur), strange subs and the set piece issues are all problems that are to be honest baffling at times.

Nuno's exit is interesting, he didn't get long, and we weren't as bad as what we've seen recently imo.

Weren’t we at the bottom of the league for running stats, pressing etc? We were pretty anemic in front of goal and not solid at the back. I think we went for him because we were running out of options and our first, second, third, ninth choices etc weren’t interested or available.

Weren’t we at the bottom of the league for running stats, pressing etc? We were pretty anemic in front of goal and not solid at the back. I think we went for him because we were running out of options and our first, second, third, ninth choices etc weren’t interested or available.

Yeah, but we are just as bad now and Ange has had three times as long.

De Zerbi is only the answer if the question is, ‘Should we appoint an overly-emotional lunatic who seems to be taking his current team backwards?’
Found out worse with a better team than ours TBH

I want the best for Spurs, so let's sack Ange, let's go from averaging 2 seasons just to a year and get rid.....what's the plan now

I'm not being sarcastic or even biting, just sell the idea we sack Ange and get who? I'm hopeful we stumble on another Ange who can almost drag us to the level, but who is that now???

His squad is not as good as ours and I think he could do a better job than Aussie Ardiles... my opinion.

Back