• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

• Levy was right to sack AVB

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Levy was wrong to sack AVB

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
It was not only the results that were his undoing but the style of football also. Like i said in another thread, i'm more than sure, given time, AVB will come good sometime later on in his career, he's an intelligent guy and that is reflected in both the results he had achieved here and the way he articulates his points. The undoing ultimately for me was the style of play he chose, it was laboriously functional without any room for players to express themselves, Spurs fans demand both entertainment and results and AVB could only provide the latter. If we had the same results but played with a little more swagger then he'd still be manager here, but the fact of the matter is that for a year and a half now we have been presented with mind-numbingly dire football, it actually got to the point where it was painful to watch a Tottenham game.

When he first arrived here i thought he'd provide us with both good football and results, but now it seems, perhaps he was scarred by the Chelsea sacking, but now it seems that he is a results-driven manager similar in ilk to the likes of Mourinho and Capello etc. Football should never be just about the winning, it's an entertainment at the end of the day and i really do not envy any team that implements a solely results-driven system to win a trophy.

I don't have a bad word to say about AVB the guy, comes across as a nice guy and i'm sure he'll be a success in the future, but i personally don't believe Tottenham was the right fit for him at this point in time.

There are stories AVB had alienated lots of people behind the scenes, in which case YES he did have to go.

Also as Steff says he wanted to go, so again he should be got rid of because you can't have a manager that wants to go!

When he first arrived here i thought he'd provide us with both good football and results, but now it seems, perhaps he was scarred by the Chelsea sacking, but now it seems that he is a results-driven manager similar in ilk to the likes of Mourinho and Capello etc. Football should never be just about the winning, it's an entertainment at the end of the day and i really do not envy any team that implements a solely results-driven system to win a trophy.

I think this is a very valid point, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. Look at how Chelski won the Champions League a couple of seasons back. Of course their fans celebrated like mad and were proud as hell, but their win will forever be remembered as the trophy they shouldn't have had, the one they fluked and didn't deserve, the one they bored people out of their minds to get. Similarly, why was our 2008 League Cup win so good? Because we beat City away in the quarter finals, we hammered our main rival, Le ****, 5-1 at home in the semis, and crowned it by beating our other rival, Chelski, in a final in which we were by far the better team.

It's a bit of a silly cliché, but to quote Billy Nick - "It's no use just winning, we've got to win well."

I think this is a very valid point, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. Look at how Chelski won the Champions League a couple of seasons back. Of course their fans celebrated like mad and were proud as hell, but their win will forever be remembered as the trophy they shouldn't have had, the one they fluked and didn't deserve, the one they bored people out of their minds to get. Similarly, why was our 2008 League Cup win so good? Because we beat City away in the quarter finals, we hammered our main rival, Le ****, 5-1 at home in the semis, and crowned it by beating our other rival, Chelski, in a final in which we were by far the better team.

It's a bit of a silly cliché, but to quote Billy Nick - "It's no use just winning, we've got to win well."

I like the fact we have tradition at our club, but I think we have to be realistic with our expectations.

Otherwise we are basically saying 'We want attacking, high tempo football. We want a title challenge. We don't want to spend as much as our rivals in transfer fees. We want to pay less wages. We want to use more youth players. And we'd like it all by the end of the season please.'

I don't think all of AVB's games were dull, although some certainly were. Other times though we played genuinely good football, created proper chances, and look like a really good team. I actually quite liked watching us control a game and frustrate the opposition not by sitting deep and packing men behind the ball, but by having the confidence to turn up to almost any ground, press hard and control the ball.

It comes down to the fact that the majority of the Spurs fans at the moment prefer a quick tempo where as Porto fans understood and appreciated what a slow tempo achieved. I would say that with a bigger squad than Porto that we have we could probably play a bit quicker but with a system that is based on control it doesn't compute to play a quick tempo straight out of the gate. It's a cultural thing why AVB didn't work. Most people don't understand why we would play slower at the beginning of the game and turn it up later on, rather than come flying out of the blocks. You can see that in the way Sherwood's bad games are analysed in that people are still happy we 'had a go' even though chance creation was bad.

It's a shame for AVB as Mourinho is pretty much playing the same way, but with probably a deeper line. However as Michael Owen pointed out against Hull, they 'spar for the first half and turn it up in the second'. It works for Mourinho because he's got that history of success and AVB doesn't in this country so he looks like an over complicating intellectual.

Not at all, and all I said was that is was 'not a good career move'. I think that ****ging off the support was symptomatic of AVB's inability to deal with the pressures of the job and added to his problems. It did not help that the media seemed to have it in for him - unlike HR who could call the fans idiots for their comments on radio shows and contradict himself about the fact that the England manger speculation had no impact of the players and then three months later say he needed a new contract because the players needed to know who the manager was.

Fair enough however i think what AVB said was right and needed saying, i go every week and some fans at the Lane are a disgrace because all they do is **** of the team, players and manager from kick off to the final whistle.

We are supposed to be supporters and that means we should support not **** every thing off.

That isn't how modern football is played, and you won't win being overly attacking unless the quality of your team is significantly higher than that of the opposition, something that Spurs won't be able to afford anytime in the reasonable future

And as much as I hate it, the history book has Cheat$ki - CL Champions, it doesn't have Cheat$ki - fluked their way through, worse champions ever, etc.

Fair enough however i think what AVB said was right and needed saying, i go every week and some fans at the Lane are a disgrace because all they do is **** of the team, players and manager from kick off to the final whistle.

We are supposed to be supporters and that means we should support not **** every thing off.

I agree

Totally off topic, but I started watching Broadchurch yesterday, and spotted a familiar face:

david-tennant-broadchurch-episodic-bbca-325.jpg

Broadchurch2_00180-100-800-600-80.jpg

8-[

That isn't how modern football is played, and you won't win being overly attacking unless the quality of your team is significantly higher than that of the opposition, something that Spurs won't be able to afford anytime in the reasonable future

And as much as I hate it, the history book has Cheat$ki - CL Champions, it doesn't have Cheat$ki - fluked their way through, worse champions ever, etc.

I'm not saying "we are Tottenham and we have to play Ossie Ardiles-style football", but rather, let's not lull our fans to sleep while playing football. We have a multitude of talented attacking players in our squad, it was at times incredibly frustrating to see how we didn't utilize that strength under AVB. Although, yes, I do agree we did have the odd good attacking game. Away to Cardiff springs to mind, I thought we were excellent that day. Had we only been able to see those kind of performances on a regular basis under AVB, unfortunately we didn't.

I have heard the lack of atmosphere at the lane, but the specific things that AVB said about the crowd did not help him at all (in my opinion), and I don' think that the head coach should take it upon himself to chastise the support. There are smarter ways to encourage the crowd to get behind the team than to say that the fans are part of the reason that the team isn't playing well. I think (could be wrong) that he actually said they were sucking the ball towards our goal.

I totally agree with your last sentence and that is why concepts like 1882 are great. And the away fans at the Etihad who sang their hearts out when we were getting walloped 6-0 embodied that ethos and spirit.

I have heard the lack of atmosphere at the lane, but the specific things that AVB said about the crowd did not help him at all (in my opinion), and I don' think that the head coach should take it upon himself to chastise the support. There are smarter ways to encourage the crowd to get behind the team than to say that the fans are part of the reason that the team isn't playing well. I think (could be wrong) that he actually said they were sucking the ball towards our goal.

I totally agree with your last sentence and that is why concepts like 1882 are great. And the away fans at the Etihad who sang their hearts out when we were getting walloped 6-0 embodied that ethos and spirit.

Below are his words and they were true, it needed saying and funny enough the support at the next game was better then it had been all season, so it had the effect he wanted.

"We looked like the away team. We played in a difficult atmosphere with almost no support," said Villas-Boas.

"We have a wonderful set of fans but they can do better. We don't need the negativity of today."

Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

AVB's on talksport later being interviewed by keys & grey......about 8pm....thats what they are saying anyway.

sorry admin couldnt find avb thread.

Below are his words and they were true, it needed saying and funny enough the support at the next game was better then it had been all season, so it had the effect he wanted.

"We looked like the away team. We played in a difficult atmosphere with almost no support," said Villas-Boas.

"We have a wonderful set of fans but they can do better. We don't need the negativity of today."

According to The Metro his quote included the following:

I’m extremely happy with the crowd normally, fans for me represent the essence of football. The away support has been immense,’ he insisted.

Sometimes at home it is difficult and it looks like it drags the ball in to our goal rather than our opponent’s goal.

I don’t intend with this message to send them a warning, neither do I intend to hurt their feelings but this is something that is felt within the group. It is a feeling that invades us in fixtures like this.'

The support at the next game was as loud as it was because it was an 1882 game that had been planned weeks in advance. Pure coincidence, not a crowd responding to what AVB had said. And I don't think the head coach or manager should tell the fans they can do better EVEN IF THEY CAN DO BETTER. And even if he didn't 'intend' to hurt feelings, he certainly created a story, or dare I say it, a narrative.

As a supporter of 40 years I remember how amazing the atmosphere was at The Lane in the late 70's and early 80's, and I still think AVB undermined his position at the club (especially given that the British press are not fans of his) by saying what he said about the crowd.

Back