• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vlad Chiriches

Re: Official - Chiriches

Hopefully his lack of height won't be too much of a hindrance, as the guy is a good tackler and has great skills for a CB

Chris Perry was a short centre back, but he had none of the flair or skills.

What was the Portuguese chap, signed from nowhere, also short... Ramos Jamos Chamot Ramon... he was poor

Ricardo Rocha

In that case it seems that just about none of our other new signings in recent years have gotten their money's worth from their agents. I at least can't remember any comments like that from the agents representing our other new players.

Chiriches had a 94% pass completion rate on Thursday night.

http://www.london24.com/sport/avb_g...hiriches_and_lamela_after_anzhi_win_1_2848345

“He is competing with three very good central defenders,” Villas-Boas said.

“He made the team straight after he was registered and went onto the bench against Chelsea and played at Anzhi.

“Out of three possible games he was involved in two, so he’s in competition with Michael Dawson, Jan and Younes - and performances like this make it easier for him [to compete].”

Club record signing Lamela, meanwhile was one of those that failed to impress on a near-freezing night in Ramenskoye.

The winger has yet to nail down a starting spot after his £30million summer arrival from Roma and last night struggled on the bobbly Saturn Stadium pitch, which deteriorated as the match progressed.

“They were difficult conditions,” Villas-Boas said. “The pitch was awful and it was difficult for technical players to make a difference.

“We still tried to play the ball but you saw many times we lost it.

“I am extremely happy with what Erik has been doing. It was difficult for him because he is a player that likes to be creative, involved in short combinations and he couldn’t come into the game as much as we wanted.

“But up until now I’m extremely happy with what he’s been doing. He just faces tough competition from Andros Townsend, who has also been doing very well, for that position.”

He's a footballer. I'm nailing my colours to the mast. He'll do me.

The Opt stat they might have to invent for Vlad is the Assist that assists.

#Loving the work.

Ricardo Rocha? Was a strange one, was excellent against United in Europe before we signed him, but looked average at best for us.

It's partly down to playing style of the team. If we spend a lot of time pressing high up the pitch then a player that is weaker in the air and better along the ground makes more sense than the opposite.

And although it seems accurate that Vlad isn't the best in the air I think he's significantly better in the air than Perry and Rocha.

The thing is, with the high line opposition teams are always tempted to go long ball if they have a striker like Torres who is on their game and can feed it to the flanks or an on-rushing AM for the quick counter. So I think being able to at least challenge the striker and make it difficult for them to get the flick-on or second ball is important - you don't need to clear it like clockwork every time, but you need to be able to make their lives difficult. I'm already shivering at the thought of Lukaku, Benteke, and Negredo tbh :(

OTOH, I do think it's generally more important in our style to be clever at intercepting throughballs and nailing the offside trap - if he's as intelligent as he seems to be technically gifted, he'll do just fine here. We should be able to tweak our style or players to handle specific teams or players like Lukaku - ie. don't use a constant XI, make full use of our squad in a tactical sense.

This guy is like an accident waiting to happen..but so far .......no accident.
Could be a thrilling player for us..

This guy is like an accident waiting to happen..but so far .......no accident.
Could be a thrilling player for us..

Much like a young Kaboul. He used to go on crazy runs from cb, always thought he would cm long term

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/04/...-his-passes-as-spurs-beat-anzhi/2013100424345
Man of the Match:

Vlad Chiriches looked as though he had been playing in Spurs' defence for years. Earning a Performance Score of 57 points, he put in a very composed, mature display. He made two tackles, four clearances, and one interception as he played a key role in his side keeping another clean sheet.

On the ball, he was also quite composed, showing himself willing and able to step into midfield in order to pick a pass--whether short or long. He completed a very impressive 94% of his passes on this day, showing himself to be quite the ball-playing centre-back already. He also managed to complete three out of three take-ons, two of which were near the edge of his own area, showing how confident he is on the ball as well as how capable he is of getting out of potentially dangerous situations.

He has to be careful, though, because dribbling near his own penalty area can see him create unnecessary problems for himself and his team. Overall, though, he looks a terrific signing already.

could have easily been villain of the match if he'd lost a few of the tangles just outside the box though. i'm sure it s something that avb is aware of and will weed out in time.

What's this about his agent saying he only came to us to impress Chelsea? Article on it on bbc website, but no quotes.

Bit of a stupid move if he wanted to end up there, no way we'd sell to them.

The thing is, with the high line opposition teams are always tempted to go long ball if they have a striker like Torres who is on their game and can feed it to the flanks or an on-rushing AM for the quick counter. So I think being able to at least challenge the striker and make it difficult for them to get the flick-on or second ball is important - you don't need to clear it like clockwork every time, but you need to be able to make their lives difficult. I'm already shivering at the thought of Lukaku, Benteke, and Negredo tbh :(

OTOH, I do think it's generally more important in our style to be clever at intercepting throughballs and nailing the offside trap - if he's as intelligent as he seems to be technically gifted, he'll do just fine here. We should be able to tweak our style or players to handle specific teams or players like Lukaku - ie. don't use a constant XI, make full use of our squad in a tactical sense.

Not saying it's never an issue with that style of play, just saying it's less of an issue. And that other abilities become more important.

For me at least it's possible for defenders to make smart decisions in those situations, when to challenge for it and when not to. When to drop off, when to play the offside. When to tackle, when to just cover. And so on. You can lose that header and it's not the worst thing ever. Losing a header in the box and we're defending deep against crosses, lofted balls etc is significantly worse and there's not much to be smart about in those situations, you just have to challenge for it and do your best.

Incidentally Vlad looks strong and although not the tallest he doesn't look like he'll give strikers "free" headers. Often that's the most important bit.

To be fair players like Lukaku, Benteke and Negredo pose a real threat against just about any defender in the world, even those that are really strong in the air. So yeah, they will pose a problem against us as well.

could have easily been villain of the match if he'd lost a few of the tangles just outside the box though. i'm sure it s something that avb is aware of and will weed out in time.

Yeah. I'm not convinced about those decisions by him. One of the Romanian posters insists that he keeps getting away with those, but we'll just have to see up against better opponents. I was calmer than most when Ekotto did his dribbles as he was very good at doing the right kind of dummies and dribbles. Always getting a foot or himself between the opponent and the ball, Cruyff turns etc, makes it very difficult for the opponent to win the ball cleanly. Vlad seemed to go more for the more attacking style dribbles where the ball was exposed.

I'm trusting him and our coaching staff to work it out and make sure he makes good decisions. He has so much talent, it can't be a bad thing. I still think him and Vertonghen alongside each other could do really good things to our buildup play.

What's this about his agent saying he only came to us to impress Chelsea? Article on it on bbc website, but no quotes.

Bit of a stupid move if he wanted to end up there, no way we'd sell to them.

Yeah, it was discussed a couple of pages back. Generally accepted to have been dumb thing for his agent to say.

Has he ever played full-back? Technically very good, likes to bomb forward, not good in the air?

AVB on the comment from Vlad's agent:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/news/avb-chiriches-to-chelsea-talk-is-out-of-reality_109192.html

Andre Villas-Boas: Vlad Chiriches to Chelsea talk is "out of reality"

Andre Villas-Boas has refuted an agent's claim that defender Vlad Chiriches plans to use Tottenham Hotspur as a stepping stone towards a future move to Chelsea.

The 23-year-old only arrived at White Hart Lane in August when he signed a five-year contract after completing his move from Steaua Bucuresti for a fee in the region of £8.5m.

However, the player's representative Victor Becali said earlier this week that Chiriches could move to Stamford Bridge if he "has one or two good seasons at Tottenham".

Villas-Boas has blasted Becali's comments, calling them "completely disproportionate and out of reality".

He added: "I have spoken to the player, told the player to speak to the agent and we have acted accordingly.

"We consider ourselves a big club. We're not a stepping stone to anybody.

"We don't expect Becali to retract himself because it is not part of his character, but it was completely out of proportion the comments that he made."

Chiriches, who has been capped 21 times by Romania at senior international level, has featured twice for Spurs this season.

He made his debut in last month's 4-0 win at Aston Villa in the Capital One Cup before playing the whole 90 minutes as Spurs beat Anzhi Makhachkala 2-0 in the Europa League on Thursday.

Well handled by AVB imo, like (just about) always...

He had only one real fumble where he was trapped by 2 Anzhi players and got no support from Kaboul or Walker - he could have passed it back to Hugo, but eventually got out of the trap without losing the ball. I would always take that versus just blasting the ball forward as he always seems to take the best decisions if you look back at some of them.
Plus he had some good runs forward while his passing was spot on (on the bumpy pitch that didn't favor the technically gifted) and it's only his second game.

But again you'll say I'm defending him so I guess time will tell. For now, no goals conceded when he's running the defense and that is a good confidence builder. :)

He had only one real fumble where he was trapped by 2 Anzhi players and got no support from Kaboul or Walker - he could have passed it back to Hugo, but eventually got out of the trap without losing the ball. I would always take that versus just blasting the ball forward as he always seems to take the best decisions if you look back at some of them.
Plus he had some good runs forward while his passing was spot on (on the bumpy pitch that didn't favor the technically gifted) and it's only his second game.

But again you'll say I'm defending him so I guess time will tell. For now, no goals conceded when he's running the defense and that is a good confidence builder. :)

He got himself into that by not properly dealing with a lofted ball forward, don't think Kaboul and Walker are to blame.

If you're 100% results oriented you can say that his decision not to clear it in that situation was the right one. For me though, if a defender ends up having to fight for the ball as the last man with the ball being trapped in between him and an attacker then the decision not to clear it was not the right one.

Still very positive about him overall though. And he's grown in confidence during both of his games so far.

The dribbling thing is quite Rio Ferdinand.
And early in his career he got himself into some dodgy situations because of it, but as he matured it became an excellent weapon in man u teams that dominated and sat on their opponents until the opponent cracked.

Won't disagree that he is a very good prospect.

EPL debut?
Once again almost getting us in trouble but never actually getting us into trouble. I like him-not so sure about his agent.

Back