• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I don't know why some of you think he'll be backup to Dier, he won't of joined us without being assured of getting a good amount of first team football. If anything I could see Poch utilising Dier more as a central defender in the coming season. This signing gives us some great depth with the added bonus of being able to but up huge wall to prevent dropping points from a winning position which happened far too much last season.

Oh and the fee being talked about makes it a no-brainer.

Don't see Dier accepting (or Poch even trying to) being dropped back to CB after last season and as his best options at international level.

Wanyama won't have been guaranteed anything beyond a fair shot based on performance and given he has worked for Poch before he knows how the boss works. Wanyama wants CL football so will gamble on being a 38 game starter to get games at the higher level IMO and backs himself to make the place his own.

No brained of a signing from us though.

I think if they are both fit Dier and Dembele will start the CL games and all the big important PL games. Poch always picks his faves first.

But it's a step up for Wanyama, probably a better contract so I'm sure he'll be fine.

ClNxOx0WgAIVWdF.jpg:large

:confused:

Dier. Dier is better, so is the number 1 choice, but Wanyama provides better cover/competition for him than any other player we have in our squad currently. He's also played Poch's way and has proved himself in this league, so can come in and hit the ground running. And if the fee is only £11m, we're not gonna do better business for that money.

Not necessarily - we're paying the same money for him as their respective clubs paid for Kante, Dier, Drinkwater and Coquelin combined. Just because you or I couldn't pick out alternative options doesn't mean they don't exist.

I do think he'll be a good back up. But as I say, I don't expect him to replace anyone in our starting XI.

An astute signing and bargain to boot (if it happens :eek:). From a quick peek over on saintsweb I'd say 4 out of 5 are a little miffed at his departure which bodes well.Fans know IMO.

Speak for yourself...only player I can think of that I've written off who's come back to prove me wrong in our team in recent years has been Kane.

It's not that I don't think he might be good backup. He does fit the boxes. But I generally like midfielders who can pass and control the ball, even better if they've got some sort of dribbling ability and can score goals once in a while. For all his strength and size, I don't think I've seen this from Wanyama so I don't see who out of Dier, Dembele or Alli he could possibly challenge for a starting place...
This is quite interesting. From what I have seen of Wanyama - he is probably on a par with Dier in terms of his passing ability and is probably a cut above Dier in terms of his dribbling ability. Their tackling and positional attributes are probably pretty equal.

In the games that Southampton won last season against the top clubs Wanyama was superb. In our game at WHL I can remember commenting to my friends who sit either side of me, how accomplished Wanyama looked in the holding role. He was disciplined, positionally perfect, didn't allow us to create anything in that pocket in front of their defence and I thought he used the ball intelligently as well, moving it quickly and accurately. After the game finished we all commented on how we hoped that we would again be in for him in the summer.

I am absolutely delighted that we are getting Wanyama. Without Dier or Dembele in the team we have sometimes looked a little frail. Wanyama will certainly help to address this.

This signing ticks so many boxes for us that it is unbelievable that we've been able to get it done for only around £10 million.

A player who wanted to play for us as his first choice
A player who has worked with Poch before so has already benefitted from his coaching for a year.
A player who is already fully adapted to and proven in the Premier League so we won't need to wait a year while he gets up to speed
A player who has already played in front of one of our centre halves.
A player who can slot straight into Dier's position, providing cover and competition and also allowing us the luxury of not having to add a 4th senior centre half option.
A player who we could bring on in the game to help us protect a lead.

Great business by the club.

Another centre forward next please Mr Pochettino.

He's never been a player that has stood out for me, but I suppose that's his job. He is captain of his national side and seen as a leader which is a good thing, you can never have enough in a team. I'm not one who thinks it doesn't matter who's captain and the more effective candidates we have the better for me.

This for me as well, i believe a strong captain who get's involved makes a team stronger and why i have never been happy with Lloris being capt.

Back