• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

What a brilliant vid:

[video=youtube;SE5yHFJI47s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE5yHFJI47s[/video]

great vid, although missing the free kick at the emirates which was handled and then subsequent penalty?

looking at that vid with ledders, modric and VDV makes you wonder if those were our relative glory years. lets hope there are some good moments to come this season

we did play some brave and imaginative football with those 3 around didn't we.

you have to be a team in transition if you lose all 3 at the same time.

absolutely first class player. shattered he's gone :(

how can we replace his passion? more than anything.. sigurdsson, debmele and the like seem to be far more laid back characters, dempsey too.

The mark of a truly World Class player isn't so much how well the footballer plays himself - it's how much better he makes his team-mates play.

Ossie Ardiles is a classic example of this, as too is Rafael van der Vaart.

Is there any official explanation from AVB or other coaching members on why VDV was sold ? I can't find any so far. The only explanation are from VDV who says he wanted to join Hamburg.

VDV has nothing to do with Moutinho.

VDV didn't play CM. Moutinho does play CM.

VDV's replacement is Dempsey.

Indeed, a fair point, but I think Moutinho coming in wouldve certainly allowed us to weather the lack of a brain like vdv's much more easily simply because he is 'cycler' so-to-speak. Just like Modric was the vital cog in the wheel and as much as it was nice to have vdv, we miss Modders more every single time. The irony is that with modders gone, vdv had a greater chance of affecting games even more than he already could IMHO, especially as he always enjoyed dropping deeper to look for/pick up possession and be dynamic, something we vitally, vitally need right now

What a brilliant vid:

[video=youtube;SE5yHFJI47s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE5yHFJI47s[/video]

yep special vid, LOVE the shot at the end with "the game is about glory" billboard and Rafa with his back to the camera showing his name!

The mark of a truly World Class player isn't so much how well the footballer plays himself - it's how much better he makes his team-mates play.

Ossie Ardiles is a classic example of this, as too is Rafael van der Vaart.

I think that VdV is a fantastic player but how can he be considered world class when he is not even a guaranteed starter for his country?

I think that VdV is a fantastic player but how can he be considered world class when he is not even a guaranteed starter for his country?

The Dutch side is very competitive. I think most would agree that Fabregas and David Villa are world class, but neither of those two are guaranteed to start for Spain anymore with the way they play now.

The Dutch side is very competitive. I think most would agree that Fabregas and David Villa are world class, but neither of those two are guaranteed to start for Spain anymore with the way they play now.

Over use of the term world class is a bit of a bugbear of mine. If a player couldn't get into a world squad, I think that it is difficult to argue that they are world class. By that definition, I think that RVP and possibly Ya Ya Toure are the only world class players currently playing in England.

Over use of the term world class is a bit of a bugbear of mine. If a player couldn't get into a world squad, I think that it is difficult to argue that they are world class. By that definition, I think that RVP and possibly Ya Ya Toure are the only world class players currently playing in England.

I agree the term "World Class" is thrown around far too often.

I'd say Van Persie, Y. Toure, Silva, Kompany and Vidic are world class.

I agree the term "World Class" is thrown around far too often.

I'd say Van Persie, Y. Toure, Silva, Kompany and Vidic are world class.

I agree that a good case can be made for Kompany and Silva, I'd argue that Vidic was world class but isn't any more.

Re: VdV - what was the story?

I dont think he was bothered either way. The fact he went on deadline day suggests we decided we could do without him, otherwise if he had wanted out and been demanding to leave, it would have happened a lot earlier.

Back