• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ultimate Spurs 11 from your time following Spurs

I have no idea how people are picking VdV over Eriksen. Eriksen is a much better player than VdV was for us.

*edit -- dele too for that matter, infact dele and VdV played the same kind of role and I'd say Dele is much better at it.

I have no idea how people are picking any of them over Modric, or Gazza for that matter.

--------------------Lloris---------------------

Walker-------Alder-------King---------Rose

----Modric-------Carrick--------Gazza------

-------Kane-------Lineker-------Bale--------

-----------------------------------Lloris-----------------------------------

-------------------Toby-----------King-----------Verts------------------

Walker----------------Carrick------------Modric------------------Bale

------------------------------------VdV------------------------------------

--------------------------Kane-----------Berba--------------------------

No argument re Lloris, no one else close (get your point re Gomes, but the fudge up ratio was insane)
Jan/Toby have to be in.
Next tough space is Eriksen/Son not being included.
Agree .. honorable mentions to Lennon & Keane, maybe even Wanyama (if you wanted more of a defensive shield than Carrick)

@the dza VDV (beyond being a personal fan favorite) is not competition for Eriksen, he's the 2nd striker role, so against Dele/Son in current team. And he was a better player than Dele currently is (Dele has room to grow, but VDV was a top level player)

Jennings
Perryman Alderweirald King Hughton
Ardiles Gascoigne Hoddle Bale
Sheringham Kane

Subs
Lloris
Modric
Ginola
VDV
Klinsmann
Archibald
Crooks

Wow this is hard for me as i have to go back over 50 years, but here goes.

Jennings

Perryman England Toby Knowles

Jones Hoddle Mackay Waddle

Greaves Gilly.

Really hard to leave the likes of Chivers, Kane out for the strikers but the chemistry between Gilly and Greaves was special.

Last edited:
As an exercise I'm going to list the team that played on my first visit to WHL and then consider who can usurp them. I've adjusted the formation to make the changes easier.

Pat Jennings (590)
Joe Kinnear (258) ... Mike England (397) ... Phil Beal (420) ... Cyril Knowles (506)
Alan Mullery (374) ... Steve Perryman (854)
Ralph Coates (248) ... Alan Gilzean (439) ... Martin Peters (260)
Martin Chivers (367)
Jennings remains as he was special. Lloris (235) is probably the best since.

No full backs absolutely stand out to replace those two. Hughton (398) and Rose (153) are stong contenders and I liked BAE (200), but Cyril remains. There is a good case for Walker (228), but I'm going to put Perryman at RB. Better men than me have done the same.

We have had some riches at CB, even in the bad times, and still do. There were also some major Spurs figures, notably Mabbutt (611). Campbell (315) was one of the best but disqualifies himself. Toby (103) is getting there, but I still can't spell his name. Ledley takes the left berth and I think Big Mike just keeps the spot, partly because I can't decide who is best of the rest.

Modric and Ardiles for the midfield. Two of my favourites and both big little men. I'll put Graham Roberts (287) on the bench, just in case

Hoddle has to be in, so he can be the attacking right midfield. Bale is another must. He became a better player through the centre but his best with us was on the left (taxi!). Sheringham (277) in the centre and Waddle (173) or Ginola (127) on the left are other strong contenders. VDV (78) and Lennon (364) were favourites. But I think, at least today, it will be Gazza in the middle.

I usually avoid current players in these teams, but the way Harry is rising through our ranks and putting up numbers, he is going in.

Jennings (590)
Perryman (854) ... England (397) ... King (315) ... Knowles (506)
Ardiles (311) ... Modric (159)
Hoddle (490) ... Gasgoigne (112) ... Bale (203)
Kane (189 and counting)

Yeah, thanks for this thread and making me feel old, and GHod bless one or two posters who (almost) make me feel young.

I started watching Spurs at the fag-end of the careers of Cliff Jones and Dave Mackay (though the latter went on to win another league title after he left us) so although I know from reports and film clips they were truly exceptional players (think Bale and Souness/Gazza as more recent counterparts) I'll leave them out, which leaves:

Big Pat - better than most keepers with one hand tied behind his back. Went to Arsenal, and we still love him.

Kyle Walker - we've not been blessed with great full backs. Danny Thomas showed promise, and for at least one season Stephen Carr was sensational, but Walker gets the nod, though I have left better players (in other positions) out of the team.

Toby - I loved Mabbsy; the best tackler I have ever seen. Not a bad box-to-box midfielder, either. Gough was very good too, but not here long enough, Big Mike England was a colossus, and surprisingly good on the ball (he started as a left winger at Blackburn). Toby A looks the real deal, though.

Ledley - nuff said. I will always have a soft spot for Phil Beal, though.

Bale - yes, it is cheating, putting him in at LB. He's got to go in somewhere, though, and we have not had many good LBs until recently. Honourable mention to Ziege.

Anderton/Waddle: I really can't choose between these two. Waddle was the more eye-catching but Shaggy possibly was more productive. Special mention to the Road Runner (see avatar) who could get me out of my seat like no other player.

Gazza - quite simply, the best player I have seen in the flesh. Passing, dribbling, will to win, even heading. The man was a football elemental.

Hoddle - born is the king of White Hart Lane.

Ardiles - like Modric, only a bit nastier and with more goals in him.

Greaves - Imagine if Aaron Lennon was the best finisher the world had ever seen. Lineker not far behind.

Mr One Season Wonder - too soon to anoint King Harold? He is the player Martin Chivers could have been. He's probably even better than Mark Falco and Chris Jones as home=grown centre forwards go ...

That was tough. It hurts to leave out Mabbsy, Gough, Ginola, Modric, Lineker, Teddy, Jurgen, Tainio (soft spot for the "look at the scoreboard" moment in the Spurs-Chelsea final), nice one Cyril, Gilly, Barmby (our best home-grown player prior to Harry Kane*?), Woody, Lennon and dear old Martin Peters.

Happy memories, but I am still hopeful I'll live long enough to see someone better than Walker in the RB position.

* Not counting Souness, as he did not bloom while here.

This is an impossible task, not surprisingly the nearest team I would agree with was Parklane1's but I would probablly picked Gough instead of England, was pleased to see Phil Beal get picked by JST1882, he was very underrated player. Perryman was a great club man but would never get in my side nor would Ginola, I never got the worship thing!. Wish Danny Thomas had not been crippled by the thug at QPR as I thought he had the makings of a great player. It's a tragedy when you see so many great players wore our shirts but we never got the mix right.

Yeah, thanks for this thread and making me feel old, and GHod bless one or two posters who (almost) make me feel young.

I started watching Spurs at the fag-end of the careers of Cliff Jones and Dave Mackay (though the latter went on to win another league title after he left us) so although I know from reports and film clips they were truly exceptional players (think Bale and Souness/Gazza as more recent counterparts) I'll leave them out, which leaves:

Big Pat - better than most keepers with one hand tied behind his back. Went to Arsenal, and we still love him.

Kyle Walker - we've not been blessed with great full backs. Danny Thomas showed promise, and for at least one season Stephen Carr was sensational, but Walker gets the nod, though I have left better players (in other positions) out of the team.

Toby - I loved Mabbsy; the best tackler I have ever seen. Not a bad box-to-box midfielder, either. Gough was very good too, but not here long enough, Big Mike England was a colossus, and surprisingly good on the ball (he started as a left winger at Blackburn). Toby A looks the real deal, though.

Bale - yes, it is cheating, putting him in at LB. He's got to go in somewhere, though, and we have not had many good LBs until recently. Honourable mention to Ziege.

Anderton/Waddle: I really can't choose between these two. Waddle was the more eye-catching but Shaggy possibly was more productive. Special mention to the Road Runner (see avatar) who could get me out of my seat like no other player.

Gazza - quite simply, the best player I have seen in the flesh. Passing, dribbling, will to win, even heading. The man was a football elemental.

Greaves - Imagine if Aaron Lennon was the best finisher the world had ever seen. Lineker not far behind.

Mr One Season Wonder - too soon to anoint King Harold? He is the player Martin Chivers could have been. He's probably even better than Mark Falco and Chris Jones as home=grown centre forwards go ...

That was tough. It hurts to leave out Mabbsy, Gough, Ginola, Modric, Lineker, Teddy, Jurgen, Tainio (soft spot for the "look at the scoreboard" moment in the Spurs-Chelsea final), nice one Cyril, Gilly, Barmby (our best home-grown player prior to Harry Kane*?), Woody, Lennon and dear old Martin Peters.

Happy memories, but I am still hopeful I'll live long enough to see someone better than Walker in the RB position.

Yeah saw him in youth team much better player than Perryman, also thought Keith Weller would have been a good player.

Without wishing to sound completely shirt lifting, Mr Bread and Butter has it summed up to the tee

I’m going to go totally unbalanced. An Ossie managed team so to speak.

————————-Thorstvedt————————

Carr————Aldeweireld—-King——-Hughton

———————Hoddle - Gazza——————-
Bale———————Waddle————-Ginola

—————————Kane——————————-

Keeper position was tough. Clemence, Lloris orbit Erik. I loved big Erik so he is in.

Full backs, well Carr was immense for a few seasons. Walker never had the end product he did.

Midfield without modric is a travesty really but I went for players who won games on their own.

Left one position up front. Could have been Berba, Teddy, Jurgen or lineker but harry for me is better than all of them now.

So honourable mentions or subs are:

Clemence, Lloris
Walker, Thomas, Rose,
Perryman, Modric, Allen, Lennon, Ardilies, Villa,
Lineker, Sheringham, Berbatov

------------------------Lloris

Walker-----Mabbutt-------King--------Rose

Anderton---Gascoigne---Modric-------Ginola

----------------Kane-----Sheringham

Thortvedt
Alderweireld
Campbell (sorry)
Bale
Lineker
Klinsmann
Berbatov

I think Kane, Walker and Rose have replaced Lineker, Carr and Ziege since I last did this

Back