• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

U23s, Academy and Loanees

Matt Craig going to Doncaster. Starting to act like a proper football club again.

When Poch turned up we were doing this and it worked, but his ridiculous rule of not loaning players out certainly stifled the career of Walker-Peters and probably cost us a lot of money in the process.

Even if Craig, Devine, Scarlett, Phillips and Dorington, Lankshear don't make it, we should if they get league experience get a few million back which pays for the academy. Then you hope that every 2 years or so you get a worthwhile member of the squad like Skipp and if were lucky, a regular first team member like a Kane.

Still think we should be buying a share in a club in Belgium to loan out 3 players a season to.

Matt Craig going to Doncaster. Starting to act like a proper football club again.

When Poch turned up we were doing this and it worked, but his ridiculous rule of not loaning players out certainly stifled the career of Walker-Peters and probably cost us a lot of money in the process.

Even if Craig, Devine, Scarlett, Phillips and Dorington, Lankshear don't make it, we should if they get league experience get a few million back which pays for the academy. Then you hope that every 2 years or so you get a worthwhile member of the squad like Skipp and if were lucky, a regular first team member like a Kane.

Still think we should be buying a share in a club in Belgium to loan out 3 players a season to.

After brexit not sure what the eu rules are now on work permits. But lower league or scottish clubs?

I'm pleased to see our players going on loan and hope they get the game time they need, but I will be disappointed not seeing the full strength U21's as they are a joy to watch, it will gives others a chance to step up.

I'm pleased to see our players going on loan and hope they get the game time they need, but I will be disappointed not seeing the full strength U21's as they are a joy to watch, it will gives others a chance to step up.

I think it we should make it a self-imposed U21s, rather than U23s.

With respect, there's no way say Lyons-Foster should still be in the academy at the age of 23. He's never played a game of adult football in his life, that's not good.

With respect, there's no way say Lyons-Foster should still be in the academy at the age of 23. He's never played a game of adult football in his life, that's not good.

I dont think its classified as U23 anymore, you can play a certain amount of overage players and it does help the younger players to have an older player, this has been players like Lyons-Foster and Craig, utility type player.

Brighton recently signed a couple of older players specifically for the academy side, to give them experience to improve. Not talking about Milner, forgot who it was.

Read an article on it and the academy players were worried it would block their pathway but has actually helped them.

Brighton recently signed a couple of older players specifically for the academy side, to give them experience to improve. Not talking about Milner, forgot who it was.

Read an article on it and the academy players were worried it would block their pathway but has actually helped them.

It seems a bit harsh to stunt the development of those 22-25 YO individuals by giving them the old 'stiffs' role.

Maybe there should be a rule that it's U21 with up-to 2 over 33s, or something like that?

It seems a bit harsh to stunt the development of those 22-25 YO individuals by giving them the old 'stiffs' role.

Maybe there should be a rule that it's U21 with up-to 2 over 33s, or something like that?

I would imagine there would be discussions with the players and they would be aware of their position, don't think club would stand in their way if they want a loan or transfer.

According to Ali Z on COYS Dorrington has a loan lined up at Millwall, providing we get some bodies in

I'm not sure he'll get a lot of games there, they have a couple of regular starting CB's. I like Dorrington looks a good footballer, I think he could be developed into a DM, he has pace, confident on the ball and vision. We don't see many home grown players in this role apart from Rice.

Good luck to Matthew Craig on his loan to Doncaster Rovers. I've seen some of his minutes for us and have been impressed so far.

It'll be interesting to see if Keeley is seen as ready to step up to #3 next season, with Austin out of contract and Whiteman seemingly heading off as well (both of them being mid-20s now too)

It'll be interesting to see if Keeley is seen as ready to step up to #3 next season, with Austin out of contract and Whiteman seemingly heading off as well (both of them being mid-20s now too)

Probably better getting him loans and game time and keep Austin or whiteman as 3rd choice. Probably better for his development

Back