• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Twitter Arrests have gotten ridiculous

Modric THFC

Jimmy McCormick
This is just unbelievable to me. Everyone of us said said similar or worse things in the heat of the moment.
Yet this kid gets arrested. If he had said that to Daley face to face and Daley reported him, the cops wouldnt even think for a moment to take it seriously.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/31/teenager-arrested-tweets-tom-daley

Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy as part of an investigation into malicious Twitter messages sent to the Team GB diver Tom Daley after he and his team-mate, Pete Waterfield, missed out on a medal at the Olympics.

The teenager was held at a guesthouse in Weymouth, Dorset, hours after Daley, 18, retweeted messages he had been sent soon after finishing fourth in the 10m men's synchronised platform diving event.

A spokeswoman for Dorset police said: "A 17-year-old man was arrested by Dorset police officers in the early hours this morning at a guesthouse in the Weymouth area on suspicion of malicious communications. He is currently helping police with their inquiries."

Daley retweeted a message that said: "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

Daley's father, Rob, died from brain cancer last year. Speaking before the Olympics, Daley revealed that his father "gave me all the inspiration that I've needed". The teenager, from Plymouth in Devon, told the BBC: "Winning a medal would make all the struggles that I've had worthwhile. It's been my dream since a very young age to compete at an Olympics.

"I'm doing it for myself and my dad. It was both our dreams from a very young age. I always wanted to do it and Dad was so supportive of everything. It would make it extra special to do it for him."

Abusive remarks on Twitter by a user had triggered protests from others before Daley responded: "After giving it my all... you get idiots sending me this..."

Some comments appear to have since been removed from the site but later apparent attempts by the user to apologise remained.

"TomDaley1994 I'm sorry mate i just wanted you to win cause its the olympics I'm just annoyed we didn't win I'm sorry tom accept my apology."

He later added: "please i don't want to be hated I'm just sorry you didn't win i was rooting for you pal to do britain all proud just so upset."

Duncan Goodhew, a gold and bronze medallist in swimming at the Moscow Olympics in 1980, said: "It is appalling that people behave that way. Becky Adlington, in fact, suffered probably far worse abuse, as well, if you remember the kerfuffle some years ago," he told ITV's Daybreak.

"I suppose that social media in one sense is fantastic, but turned the wrong way round it is very, very personal and it destroys people's lives. So I think people should be much more careful about what they say."

I like twitter as in reading the controversial brick and I do laugh at how pathetic people are posting EVERYTHING that they do or think i.e. eating toast.

What I am unsure of is why the fudge is that **** Knight not arrested? I want him arrested. I want him crushed. I want him fudged up the ass in jail.

I agree some of the arrests are getting a bit ridiculous.

However, I think they are for the best. Our concepts of liberty and freedom have to come with responsibility otherwise they don't work. The person getting abused has rights too and perhaps not being the subject of abuse by strangers should be one of them. The message about abusive use of twitter might get through to the idiots and make it a better medium. There is no excuse for malicious abuse.

I'm more concerned about cases like the guy who joked about blowing up Liverpool airport getting found guilty. The remarks were clearly meant as a joke and it should never have been prosecuted, let alone survive appeal. At least the Supreme Court finally saw some sense.

If I was a football manager, I would ban all of the players in the squad from twitter. They simply can't help themselves and show a real lack of restraint when a rival fan has a dig at them. Footballers are not the sharpest tools in the shed and it seems a lot them can't be trusted to post sensibly.

I lost my Dad 3 years ago so I've got no sympathy for the **** who got arrested for sending those tweets to Tom Daley.

Really don't get what the fuss about twitter, seems mundane to me.

If I was a football manager, I would ban all of the players in the squad from twitter. They simply can't help themselves and show a real lack of restraint when a rival fan has a dig at them. Footballers are not the sharpest tools in the shed and it seems a lot them can't be trusted to post sensibly.

I lost my Dad 3 years ago so I've got no sympathy for the **** who got arrested for sending those tweets to Tom Daley.

Really don't get what the fuss about twitter, seems mundane to me.

You seriously think it's acceptable for someone to get arrested and possibly go to jail because they sent a tweet telling someone they let their deceased father down? Come on.

You seriously think it's acceptable for someone to get arrested and possibly go to jail because they sent a tweet telling someone they let their deceased father down? Come on.

Well obviously I'm not in favour of sending EVERY internet warrior to jail, but you've got to send a message every now and then it isn't acceptable to harass a person and just use the old "freedom of speech" line to get you out of trouble. If you slandered somebody on twitter or made a libellous statement, there's a good chance you'd go to jail, so why are personal attacks allowed?

I will say that it is preposterous that they even considered arresting people for making jokes about Ryan Giggs and Imogen on twitter, that is going way too far!

Personally I don't think it's ok to arrest someone for saying something about his dead father, but when it becomes more constant and people start threatening violence as this kid did then I'm ok with it.

If I'm walking in the street and someone starts persistently harassing me, threatening to stab me and drown me then I'd take that quite seriously. Why should online be any different? Harassment is harassment.

Here's what the guy has been saying to other people

http://thedigitalreport.net/2012/07/uk-diver-tom-daley-subjected-to-abuse-by-twitter-user-rileyy_69/

Agree with the thread starter. Where do you draw a line? If these comments were said in a pub and the police were called, would they not
charge the accuser of wasting police time?

Personally I don't think it's ok to arrest someone for saying something about his dead father, but when it becomes more constant and people start threatening violence as this kid did then I'm ok with it.

If I'm walking in the street and someone starts persistently harassing me, threatening to stab me and drown me then I'd take that quite seriously. Why should online be any different? Harassment is harassment.

Here's what the guy has been saying to other people

http://thedigitalreport.net/2012/07/uk-diver-tom-daley-subjected-to-abuse-by-twitter-user-rileyy_69/

Agreed. I doubt he would have been arrested for one tweet about the dead father. I don't even think the threat to drown him shouldn't be taken a real threat. But its part of a clear pattern of harrassment, of comments that will cause distress and are intended to, and that rightly is illegal.

This is just unbelievable to me. Everyone of us said said similar or worse things in the heat of the moment.
Yet this kid gets arrested. If he had said that to Daley face to face and Daley reported him, the cops wouldnt even think for a moment to take it seriously.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/31/teenager-arrested-tweets-tom-daley

Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy as part of an investigation into malicious Twitter messages sent to the Team GB diver Tom Daley after he and his team-mate, Pete Waterfield, missed out on a medal at the Olympics.

The teenager was held at a guesthouse in Weymouth, Dorset, hours after Daley, 18, retweeted messages he had been sent soon after finishing fourth in the 10m men's synchronised platform diving event.

A spokeswoman for Dorset police said: "A 17-year-old man was arrested by Dorset police officers in the early hours this morning at a guesthouse in the Weymouth area on suspicion of malicious communications. He is currently helping police with their inquiries."

Daley retweeted a message that said: "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

Daley's father, Rob, died from brain cancer last year. Speaking before the Olympics, Daley revealed that his father "gave me all the inspiration that I've needed". The teenager, from Plymouth in Devon, told the BBC: "Winning a medal would make all the struggles that I've had worthwhile. It's been my dream since a very young age to compete at an Olympics.

"I'm doing it for myself and my dad. It was both our dreams from a very young age. I always wanted to do it and Dad was so supportive of everything. It would make it extra special to do it for him."

Abusive remarks on Twitter by a user had triggered protests from others before Daley responded: "After giving it my all... you get idiots sending me this..."

Some comments appear to have since been removed from the site but later apparent attempts by the user to apologise remained.

"TomDaley1994 I'm sorry mate i just wanted you to win cause its the olympics I'm just annoyed we didn't win I'm sorry tom accept my apology."

He later added: "please i don't want to be hated I'm just sorry you didn't win i was rooting for you pal to do britain all proud just so upset."

Duncan Goodhew, a gold and bronze medallist in swimming at the Moscow Olympics in 1980, said: "It is appalling that people behave that way. Becky Adlington, in fact, suffered probably far worse abuse, as well, if you remember the kerfuffle some years ago," he told ITV's Daybreak.

"I suppose that social media in one sense is fantastic, but turned the wrong way round it is very, very personal and it destroys people's lives. So I think people should be much more careful about what they say."

It was ridiculous when they threatened to arrest anyone who tweeted about Ryan Giggs's injuction last year.

I'm fine with them arresting this guy. He followed up that despicable comment by threatening to drown him, clearly a case of harassment.

The asshole put up several deaththreats to several people, so im all for the police stepping in.

He also showed signs of schizo too, went beserk, then tried to calm it down. Then he flared up again and raged before picking up that he was on sky. Then he calmed down again...before exploding again :p psycho!

Back