• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TV/Monitor help

Klinsmania

Bobby Zamora
My beloved Samsung 20" monitor has died, so I need a replacement. Samsung don't seem to do any TV/monitors anymore (it's hooked up to an old games consol as well as the PC and is also used as an occasional TV so it needs an aerial input socket too) so I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions? I want either a 20" or 22" as that's just the right size for my desk where it sits and I don't know what make to go for. I have three other TVs and all of them are Samsungs so I was hoping to get another as they've been superb for me over the years, but it looks like I may have to try another brand.

BenQ if you want the cheap and decent option, Asus also does some decent monitors, but surely you should go for NEC or Eizo if you have the money to spend. I've also seen some Dell screens which've been pretty nice.

Samsung still do a 22" TV, what connections do you need for the PC? HDMI? Any minimum resolution you need it to support?

Really, I haven't been able to find any. I need a VGA connection for the PC, and my current screen resolution is 1920*1080 so I'd like the same in the new set up.

This is an older model that would do all that (according to the specs listed):
http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/t22b300/sams-t22b300

Newer models at that size are: F5000, F5400 and F5410

athough I think you'd be struggling for the VGA input there, but I'd assume there's a VGA to HDMI converter out there somewhere?

there will be a VGA to HDMI cable, try the usual outlets like curries/ Maplins! get a good quality one and your picture quality will not be dampened!

VGA is becomming more and more redundant in the HD age and is harder to find TV/ Monitors with those connections these days unless you go for an older model....

I would recomend the monitor of your choice with the cable above as they will exist I just do not have time to look for you

Thanks for all your help gents, it looks like any decent TV will do, and I'll just need to get myself a VGA to HDMI adaptor cable. Thanks for your input.

I'd look into the VGA-HDMI bit before buying anything, having had a quick look I doubt there's a straight cable out there that'll do it (VGA being an analogue signal, HDMI being digital with encryption and stuff - there are cables out there, but they don't sound like they work), might be a converter but how well they work is anyone's guess.

May work out cheaper in the end to upgrade your PC's graphics card to get HDMI out, or to buy an older TV that supports VGA straight off if you have to stick with it.

You'd be better off getting a vga to scart adapter as I think they're only a couple of quid. Assuming you're not using the scart for anything else.

Loads of Hdma vga converters adapters cables type things on ebay.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

I bought a Samsung Syncmaster 2232bw in 2008 and think its brilliant. Obviously 6 year old technology at the time it ticked many boxes for me - had VGA in and also DVI, one HDMI only though. I remember the monitor resolution/contrast was supposed to be excellent certainly no issues as a monitor. And it also did picture in picture :)

I mention it because you might be able to pick one of these up cheap.

Back