• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window now shut - what do we make of our squad now?

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
Are we happy with our dealings overall?

Have we made ourselves mre certain of a CL place challenge?

In fact, should we be title challengers?

Have we improved on last year's issues:
- Do we have enough creativity now?
- Can we switch the play quickly?
- Do we have more 'footballing intelligence' now in the team? (i.e can play pass and move and also spot through balls and not rely simply on brut strength/speed)

What about some key positions?
- Are we taking a risk in not getting LB cover for Rose?
- With no Bale do we have an out-and-out left-wing option in the way we have an out-and-out right wing option in Lennon? (Chadli, Lamela look like inside-wingers who will play as 'inverted wingers' cutting in on their stronger feet)
- Does this even matter?
- Are we a bit reliant on Soldado atm? If he's injured/suspended can we rely on Defoe and Ade to be good squaddies?

With our current state of the squad and with the squad changes in the other top6 clubs, where do you expect us to finish?

Let's discuss...

Huge problems down the left side that need resolving. Players have to step up and make those 2 positions their's.

Can't tell yet, we have yet to see all the signings play together. If we can stay in touch with the top four till December, we have a great chance for CL qualification -maybe push for the title ? We need to click first.

I'm really hoping Lamella and Eriksen prove to be the creative force we are crying out for at the moment. Funny, thescum got the one player we, more than they, need.

The scum showed that LB/left side could be a problem. Others might see it too, Verts as a possible LB is just a stop gap. We may regret not having more, and better options. We have no choice now, gotta support Rose and see him grow in that position.

Personally I'm very happy with our transfer dealings this summer.

Sad to see Bale go, of course, but it was clearly outside our control to an extent. And frankly I'm a bit ****ed off with Bale and his team with how they forced through the transfer... seems to me that Levy believed Bale was going to stay at least one more year and then a combination of Real Madrid tapping up, Bale's agent applying pressure, and the fickleness of the player himself changed all that. As it happens, while I wish the boy no ill, I'm pretty certain this is a bad move for him (from a footballing, not a financial perspective, obviously) and I don't think the pressure of a world record move to Team Ronaldo will do him any good at all.

Despite Bale leaving though, I think we're probably a stronger squad than last year. Obviously we don't know if all the players will work out for us, but I'm optimistic. We shall see.

A bit surprised there was no incoming players on deadline day though. I don't know why, but I felt Levy wouldn't allow Bale to be the last (big) deal of the summer. Thought he'd hold one final major signing in reserve to sweeten things after that bitter news. Obviously not. Even so, I think we've built a very strong squad, and assuming AVB can get them all working together, I'm confident of a top four finish this season and a title challenge next.

Im excited - i think we have re invested the Bale money wisely, strengthening the squad and first team in several positions. We have a world class prospect in Lamela - a striker who has proven to be a reliable goal scorer in a top European league, some creativity in midfield which we have been crying out for since Modric left, strength and power through the middle with great competition for places.

It's not perfect, there are still one or two positions we could do with upgrading but we now have a balanced squad to build from and some genuine quality with time on their side.

First of all, we don't have a good enough left back. Danny Rose has done alright in the first few games, but over the course of the season I doubt that he will hold a high enough level. And he is the only one we've got. Once again, we will see Kyle Naughton and Jan Vertonghen filling in there, and the latter will in turn weaken us at center back.

I don't think we have enough creativity in central midfield. Then again, it never looked like we were even trying to bring in the playmaker we need. Eriksen is meant to be that kind of player perhaps, but he plays further up the pitch. We are always really slow in our build-up play, and we have no one who can spread passes around. We lack that player who can dictate the tempo of our passing game, and come up with an incisive pass. This was obviously the case last season as well, but you would have thought that we could have done something about it this summer when we failed to do it last year. But, liek I said, it never seemed to be a priority this time around.

I am not sure about the left flank either. Can Chadli produce the goods? Will Townsend or Lamela play there? Sigurdsson? I can't see a clear first choice in that position.

And finally, I am also still not confident about us up front. Can Soldado do the business? Judging by what I've seen of him so far, he makes Jermain Defoe look like a quality allround striker. I am sure he is a good finisher, and will score goals if we can feed him in good positions inside the penalty area, but then the question is, do we have the creativity needed to create those chances for him? Soldado will not often hold the ball up for us sucessfully, he will not win headers, and he will rarely be a threat though runs in behind defenses. If we keep hold of Adebayor, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our first choice striker at some stage of the season.

This sounded very negative of course, but there are the things I am worried about at the moment.

I am very happy overall.. Being fussy I would have loved Coentrao.. I am a little unsure what our first choice eleven is but maybe that is also a good thing now. I have tried to pick a team and it is obvious that we now have some really good squad players, Defoe, Adebeyor, Lennon, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Chadli, Capoue, Dembele, Chiriches, Dawson etc..

---------------LLoris------------

Walker --- Kaboul --- Vertonghen --- Rose

Sandro --- Eriksen --- Paulinho

Lamela --- Soldado --- Townsend

Last edited:
i'm glad with a few things:

- early transfers, moved faster than most (or its others moving too slowly)
- seemingly OK prices - market prices not over paying
- top players who can walk into any top 4 club

However

- it wasn't a perfect window with still obvious gaps and possibly a lack of balance (maybe i was expecting too much from baldini)
- no real bargains like vdv
- questions about some players gone (caulker, BAE)
- well publicised botched transfer or willian (trolled by the ruskie oligarchs?)
- late transfers with respect to lamela and eriksen, to provide the goal scoring threats without bale

Overall - we did go some way to replace the bale-shaped hole in the squad, may be early days, but first three matches exposed our lack of goal-scoring threat without bale which hasn't been addressed at all. Lots of hardwork for AVB and the team now, but there is promise and potential.

--------------------Lloris
-------------------(Friedel)

--Walker-----Dawson—Vertonghen--Rose
(Naughton)--(Kaboul)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers)

----Paulinho------Sandro------Dembele
--(Sigurdsson)--(Capoue)-----(Holtby)

-Lamela---------Soldado--------Eriksen
(Lennon)------(Adebayor)-------(Chadli)

+ Defoe, Townsend, Kane, Gomes

Overall - excellent

Weakness:
1) Left back
2) No genuine creative left-sided inside forward
3) Relying on Ade being mentally good if anything happens to Soldado injury wise

Expectation - battling with United and Arsenal for 3rd-5th

Last edited:
If we're doing line ups....
(433)
Lloris (Freidel)
Walker (Naughton)
Rose(???)
Vertonghen (Chirches)
Kaboul (Dawson)
Sandro (Capoue)
Paulhino (Dembele)
Eriksen (Holtby/Sigurdsson))
Chadli (Lennon)
Lamela (Townsend)
Soldado (Defoe/Adebayor)

---------------------Lloris----------------------

Walker-----Kaboul-----------Vertonghen----Rose

--------------------Sandro---------------------

-----------Paulinho----------Holtby-------------

Lamela-----------------------------------Eriksen

--------------------Soldado--------------------

Subs: Gomes, Dawson, Naughton, Capoue, Dembele, Chadli, Ade

Subs not used: Friedel, Chiriches, Fryers, Townsend, Lennon, Siggy

Strengths:

Powerful, hard-working central midfield
Creative threats on the wings
Best goalkeeper in the league

Weaknesses:

Lack of good crossers (Walker + Rose awful)
Left-back a problem defensive area
lack of natural width unless Lennon + Townsend played (due to full-backs being awful offensively)
Long shots an issue? Game-changer when we're struggling may not be there a la Bale last season

Verdict: in a battle for fourth with Arsenal and Liverpool, will end up 4th due to Arsenal's relatively thin defensive options and Liverpool's long absence from the top four making it difficult for them to truly hit top gear when the going's tough

Very very pleased. as outlined above we have quality and quality cover.

I think we should judge Rose after 10-15 games......think some are being a little harsh we shall see. I think him and Walker as attacking fullbacks is exciting. the defensive parts to there game can be developed and they need some crossing practice.

to me we have the players just have to get the balance right in midfield holtby and eriksen can be the lockpickers.

really optimistic going into this season now. I think this is going to be an exciting season. I really believe we can get a trophy this year.........and because I believe we are stronger than last year even minus Bale I think we will get more than 72 points this year.......better last seasons points total is what I expect....anything less than beating that tally would disappoint unless we win a trophy.

COYS were good to go!!!!!

--------------------Lloris
-------------------(Friedel)

--Walker-----Dawson—Vertonghen--Rose
(Naughton)--(Kaboul)-(Chiriches)--(Fryers)

----Paulinho------Sandro------Dembele
--(Sigurdsson)--(Capoue)-----(Holtby)

-Lamela---------Soldado--------Eriksen
(Lennon)------(Defoe)-------(Chadli)

+ Adebayor, Townsend, Kane, Gomes

I think Rose can do a decent job for us once he gets some confidence from clean sheets.

Either way that's what we've got to work with and it could be a lot worse.

AVB has got a couple of weeks to figure the best combinations out. Let's see what he's got.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

lack of natural width unless Lennon + Townsend played (due to full-backs being awful offensively)
Long shots an issue? Game-changer when we're struggling may not be there a la Bale last season

Verdict: in a battle for fourth with Arsenal and Liverpool, will end up 4th due to Arsenal's relatively thin defensive options and Liverpool's long absence from the top four making it difficult for them to truly hit top gear when the going's tough

Like the look of this team. With no out and out wingers, it is essential the full backs provide the width.

Please, please please can we work on their crossing. And while we are at it, practice corners.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

That was exactly my thinking for our best formation.

I find it odd Holtby isn’t in more people’s first team plans, he has got the workrate and stamina to press all game from the middle – which we don’t know Lamela or Eriksen have yet - has shown he has a great range of passing, can shoot from distance and has 6 months more experience of the league than our new signings.

I think it'll take us at least half a season to gel, and we really, really need more intelligent, passing-oriented FB options (and depth). I can't even begin to list how important FBs will be to our system, because if we play Lamela/Townsend and Eriksen/Chadli out wide, all of them prefer to cut in, which means attacking FBs must provide the width. The problem is that our FBs are highly unintelligent in the final third and tend to lack composure on the ball. I really expect us to address this in January somehow.

Everywhere else though, I think we've done well. Yes, we could've gotten a better player than Chadli for LWF, who isn't bad but not exactly thrilling. Yes, we'll be heavily dependent on Holtby to play the creative CM ('Modric') role, with Eriksen more AM and Capoue more creative DM (Carroll would've been a great option, but I'd rather see him play regularly and develop this season). I really think Holtby will come good this season - the kid has a good brain on him when he's not trying to chase everything, and with more intelligent, mobile players around him we'll see it more clearly.

The big thing is that Lamela and Eriksen *will* add intelligence and quick one-touch pass-and-moving, which were our two biggest weaknesses last season. With Kaboul and Sandro coming back to full fitness, our high line will have much more steel and pace to protect Lloris. Chiriches is very promising by all accounts, more suited for us than Caulker. And I still have hopes for Ade, who was phenomenal in his first season with us and offers a kind of fluidity that I believe Eriksen, Holtby, and Lamela would love.

I don't believe we'll make fourth since it'll take a while to click and Liverpool and **** are both looking very fluent already, but I think we'll finish strong and be well set up for next season with our young team. The main thing I want to see is better teamwork and movement both on and off the ball - build up play rather than pot shots (yes I'm looking at you, eager young Andros). While our zero net spend doesn't sound all that great, I like the fact that we still have money to strengthen or at least put in the stadium pot, because I think some young players (both our own and others) will surprise us with their development this year. We've completely rebuilt our team, now let's work on gradually improving it.

As for Ozil - yes he's brilliant, one of the best playmakers in the world, but **** have never really been lacking in the creative department. His stamina and pressing are not exactly his strong suits, and I think you'll see well-organized, high-pressing teams like Southampton expose that. (You can say the same for Eriksen and Lamela, but we have Sandro behind them and they're so young and raw that AVB should hopefully instill the workrate in them.) So let's wait and see before panicking, eh.

If we're so worried about Rose at LB, would a central pairing of Chiriches + Kaboul work with Verts becoming a permanent LB?

As Garth Crooks said; we've sold Elvis but bought the Beatles.

Lost an established individual superstar but bought players that will gel into talented and exciting group after some initial teething problems. Just be patient, the team is stronger as a whole and is capable of going far.

Last edited:
Back