• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Arnautovic 28yrs old 25Mil and 100k a week
Hernandez 29yrs old 16Mil and 140k a week

Same people slating Sissoko are the ones who compare how much he is vs Kane, same ones who slagged off Ade and his wages.
Same people who praise our homegrown talent, don't want to give the next homegrown talent a go
Same people who sing "he only cost 5mil" scream at the board for not buying i dont know somebody like Ozil for 50mil

The market is mental at the moment, like so stupid that although we may want a few reinforcements its simply not worth paying 50mil and 100k for Barkley when we have Edwards. Last season we came second and had plenty of injuries.

Do we need reinforcements yes hopefully, are we desperate enough to get involved, nope.

Do we need reinforcements yes hopefully, are we desperate enough to get involved, nope.

Technically, if you're so confident about Edwards being better than Barkley, we don't need anyone. Ditto KWP and Walker, or CCV and Toby/Jan.

Yet, the same Edwards has never played a full game of top flight football *anywhere*. He's never even been out on loan - all he's done is look good in a couple of highlight vids of youth football on training ground pitches.
KWP is better off in that regard, but even he's never played top-flight football - his only real experience has been at the U-20 WC, and even that's still youth football.
CCV is younger than even KWP, and looked very shaky against League Two Wycombe last season, his only real opportunity - lest we forget, we conceded three goals that game and were only bailed out by a near-miraculous last minute comeback with ten men against a tiring side.

Last season - yes, we came second and had plenty of injuries. We also were playing at WHL, a ground we were intimately familiar with and wanted to celebrate in its final season.

This season, without bringing in a single player, we're already weaker because we've sold a first-teamer to a direct league rival. And we'll be playing at Wembley - even if you think we'll do well there, thinking we'll go unbeaten at a ground like that is sheer madness, I'm sure you'll agree.

I understand thinking that the market is inflated. I understand thinking that other teams aren't getting value for money. But it's a massive, massive stretch to go from there to saying that we don't need to get involved in the market at all because of all these youngsters we have around the place, imo.

If you want to maintain a high level of performance, as high as last season's - every backup player must perform to the level of his first-team equivalent, or at least approximating it. If Alli is out, Edwards needs to perform like Alli. If Trippier is out, KWP needs to perform like Trippier. If Toby is out, CCV needs to perform like Toby.

Anything less is making allowances for youth and inexperience - allowances that will at times seriously compromise our league and cup performances and (yes, no question about it) lead to a worse outcome than what we had last season. Whether you feel that tradeoff is worth making or not is a different matter - but don't doubt that said tradeoff will *have* to be made if you really want to go down the 'Barkley isn't even as good as Edwards' route.

Last edited:
Monaco have been ripped apart this window. With Silva, Mendy, Mbappe and Bakayoko gone/going, Lemar is now really their only top player left

It really makes you appreciate Levy and Poch, as we could easily be in a similar position, yet have only lost Walker so far.
Yeah, it's a shame because I'd have liked them to stick together 1 more year. I'd happily take them from pot 1 in the CL now. Revenge! I think we'd stuff them now.

Technically, if you're so confident about Edwards being better than Barkley, we don't need anyone. Ditto KWP and Walker, or CCV and Toby/Jan.

Yet, the same Edwards has never played a full game of top flight football *anywhere*. He's never even been out on loan - all he's done is look good in a couple of highlight vids of youth football on training ground pitches.
KWP is better off in that regard, but even he's never played top-flight football - his only real experience has been at the U-20 WC, and even that's still youth football.
CCV is younger than even KWP, and looked very shaky against League Two Wycombe last season, his only real opportunity - lest we forget, we conceded three goals that game and were only bailed out by a near-miraculous last minute comeback with ten men against a tiring side.

Last season - yes, we came second and had plenty of injuries. We also were playing at WHL, a ground we were intimately familiar with and wanted to celebrate in its final season.

This season, without bringing in a single player, we're already weaker because we've sold a first-teamer to a direct league rival. And we'll be playing at Wembley - even if you think we'll do well there, thinking we'll go unbeaten at a ground like that is sheer madness, I'm sure you'll agree.

I understand thinking that the market is inflated. I understand thinking that other teams aren't getting value for money. But it's a massive, massive stretch to go from there to saying that we don't need to get involved in the market at all because of all these youngsters we have around the place, imo.

If you want to maintain a high level of performance, as high as last season's - every backup player must perform to the level of his first-team equivalent, or at least approximating it. If Alli is out, Edwards needs to perform like Alli. If Trippier is out, KWP needs to perform like Trippier. If Toby is out, CCV needs to perform like Toby.

Anything less is making allowances for youth and inexperience - allowances that will at times seriously compromise our league and cup performances and (yes, no question about it) lead to a worse outcome than what we had last season. Whether you feel that tradeoff is worth making or not is a different matter - but don't doubt that said tradeoff will *have* to be made if you really want to go down the 'Barkley isn't even as good as Edwards' route.
I think he's saying the trade off is worth it.

And let's hope this season doesn't have a worse outcome than last season, as last season was effing terrible.

I think it's going to be a challenge for top 4 next season, given how well the competition has strengthened. Still an intact team has its advantages and we have to make it count from the 1st game and every subsequent one onwards.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

100% saying the trade off is worth it..

Are we really weaker than last year i disagree, would say their is a good chance
Winks, Lamela, Jansen will have much better or at least off more output
Rest are young and may have a improvement
KWP and a few of the other prospects may step in.

Simple fact is we got here by trusting youth, but not everyone else spends some cash and suddenly all the toys come out of the pram, we finished second!!

If we get Barkley for 20-25mil, KWP looks to be a suitable backup, then we have improved.
Would i prefer to go and buy Arnautovic or give Edwards a try in a carling cup, by far id rather see Edwards or Oakley-Boothe

Straight question who would you sell and buy and at what value? Do you think we should be competing for Lacazette for example?

I think he's saying the trade off is worth it.

And let's hope this season doesn't have a worse outcome than last season, as last season was effing terrible.

Eh. If there's a regression and we finish 3rd, 4th or outside the top four entirely, that will mark the end of three years of forward progress in terms of league placings and continuous improvement. Again, just bluntly stating the truth. If he's saying that's a tradeoff worth making, fine - his opinion, and it's as valid as any other. But in that case, don't cite us finishing 2nd with injuries last season as a reason to not spend anything this summer - because by not spending anything, we are increasing the chances of not matching last year's performances.

100% saying the trade off is worth it..

That's fine.

Are we really weaker than last year i disagree, would say their is a good chance

This is where I disagree. We *are* weaker than we were last year. Even if we stand still doing nothing, we have lost a first-team player to a league rival and have lost the comfort of WHL for the unfamiliar turf of Wembley. We're *already* behind where we were last season on that front, imo.

Winks, Lamela, Jansen will have much better or at least off more output

Hypothetically - equally likely that they all get injured on September 2nd, no? In Lamela's case, he won't even be back until October, I think. Janssen may not be able to adapt to the league.

Rest are young and may have a improvement

KWP and a few of the other prospects may step in.

And do worse than their first-team equivalents - again, this is just a fact, and likely to happen, which would lead to a regression overall.

Simple fact is we got here by trusting youth, but not everyone else spends some cash and suddenly all the toys come out of the pram, we finished second!!

We got here through a mix of spending big, buying first-team players and trusting youth - Son didn't grow up in Hemel Hempstead, Eriksen didn't come through our academy, Toby was bought, Verts was bought, Wanyama was bought, Dembele was bought, Rose was bought, and Lloris was bought. And many of those players were bought for significant sums - Son cost 22m, Dembele cost 16m, Lamela cost 30m.

People tend to forget that first bit when they fetishize our academy like it's delivered every single starting player over the last few years. We didn't get here *only* through trusting youth-team players - we would 100% not be where we are if we had (Luke McGee in place of Lloris, Caulker over Toby, Livermore over Wanyama, Mason over Eriksen, Townsend over Son - a better team? Not in a million years). The academy is definitely important to our plans and our long-term future, but it is not an excuse to stay out of the market, and will never be if we are serious about stepping up to regular success.

If we get Barkley for 20-25mil, KWP looks to be a suitable backup, then we have improved.

If we get Barkley, we still have a problem at RB - Trippier is simply not as good as Walker from a defensive perspective, and even if KWP proves a suitable backup to Trippier, that weakness will remain, imo. So *maybe* we improve without another RB, but it's not as clear cut as the fact that we probably will improve if we get Barkley plus another RB at the least - it improves our options, and allows for greater depth.

Would i prefer to go and buy Arnautovic or give Edwards a try in a carling cup, by far id rather see Edwards or Oakley-Boothe

Who said anything about buying Arnautovic, though? I thought your objection was that the market was crazy and so we shouldn't step in. Even in sane markets, we never had an interest in the Arnautovic type - so why would we start now?

Straight question who would you sell and buy and at what value? Do you think we should be competing for Lacazette for example?

I wouldn't buy anyone the manager doesn't identify as a first-choice target. If he identifies that player, I would make it happen - 40m, 50m, 60m, 75m, whatever. I'd trust that he knows our contract situation and our financial circumstances as well as I do, and understands that any signing we make needs to be within those constraints - so if he suggests one, go for it. Even if we spend more money than we make doing so. That's why I was happier with Sissoko than some people here were last season - the intent, and not the player, mattered more there.

As for specific players that we should target, No idea. Barkley seems a good 'un. Mahrez is another one we could go for. We need another CB - Dominique Heintz of Koln would be a good option. An RB is needed - this Toljan bloke sounds good, or Ricardo Pereira if we can get over the ownership issues. Other than that, I don't think we need strengthening anywhere else. And we can then rely on Onomah being our nominal second-choice DM (in a 3-4-2-1 with Dier becoming the permanent RCB), or KWP as a third-choice across both flanks, and CCV as a backup to Dier with Heintz and/or Wimmer as other options should CCV struggle.

That's the less risky way to integrate youth, imo. The game against Roma showed that CCV, KWP and co. are *raw* - very, very raw, and very likely to cost us points, goals and league places if we rely on them as straight second choices this season. Trading up an unspent 40m million pound transfer fee for a 50m loss in revenue from finishing outside the top four (as an example) because CCV gave away a penalty by handballing or something isn't good business, or sensible.

Last edited:
I still think we need a couple in - however what has really tinkled me off this year is the media spent all summer having a go at clubs for not giving the young English players a chance and we are saying we will.

Instead of praising us, they are knocking us down.

I think it's going to be a challenge for top 4 next season, given how well the competition has strengthened. Still an intact team has its advantages and we have to make it count from the 1st game and every subsequent one onwards.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

Who?

City - yes, a bit
United, Liverpool and Arsenal haven't (well maybe United, simply because they don't have to carry Rooney any more)
And Chelsea have weakened losing Costa and replacing him with an inferior player

Teams can only put out 11 players, and no new arrival into the EPL would trouble our starting 11, bar Bernardo Silva

@DubaiSpur

I, think we would like to buy only if the value is there
You, think we must buy

Wembley makes us weaker, but im not sure we should be buying players because of Wembley, thats a random factor that is a complete one off.
I use Arnautovic as the example as that seems to be the going cost for a player of that ability currently, so as you say you expect Poch to stay within our financial constraints, so how do you bring in a player at 40mil who isnt going to cause contract issues with the rest of our lot, as he wants 150k, hence being patient and forcing a barkleys hand.

Our first eleven aren't the issue bar poss 1 position, its injuries and possibly a Gamechanger. On the basis we had injuries last year and CCV, Onomah, Edwards, Nkoudou, Lamela, KWP even Sissoko and Janssen to a lesser extent were not heavily used, not sure why this season would be different.

Losing Walker made us weaker i agree. But thats the only position and im really on the fence as to whether to risk blocking KWP as he is potentially the long term RWB, due to our young team being a year older and experienced that should give us a few extra percent.

Schick is available, if I'm not mistaken. His move to Juventus broke down a couple of weeks ago. And given he was going to Juventus, he would have been a bench player, what with Dybala and Higuain in front of him, so not one expecting starting minutes. Worth the money at £20-30 million, though?
Isn't Schick available simply because he failed a medical at Juventus?

Eh. If there's a regression and we finish 3rd, 4th or outside the top four entirely, that will mark the end of three years of forward progress in terms of league placings and continuous improvement. Again, just bluntly stating the truth. If he's saying that's a tradeoff worth making, fine - his opinion, and it's as valid as any other. But in that case, don't cite us finishing 2nd with injuries last season as a reason to not spend anything this summer - because by not spending anything, we are increasing the chances of not matching last year's performances.
I would actually argue that if we finish 3rd or 4th next year then that wouldn't end three years of forward progress at all.... We would enter our new stadium with the vastly increased revenue it will give us with a place in the Champions League group stages. If that happens then we are fantastically placed to continue our march forwards.

I would actually argue that if we finish 3rd or 4th next year then that wouldn't end three years of forward progress at all.... We would enter our new stadium with the vastly increased revenue it will give us with a place in the Champions League group stages. If that happens then we are fantastically placed to continue our march forwards.

you're both right. we are weaker this season. if we finish top 4, then bearing in mind the weakness that we will have to endure away from WHL, I would argue that it constitutes massive progress.

another thing to bear in mind is that if TV deals do fall off, if we can save or invest otherwise than in players at the time the market is flooded, we will likely achieve a much bigger advantage in the future (new stadium, cash pile that didn't get spunked on a 75 mil Lukaku, ha!) than if we invested now. i'm positive.

Agree

3rd or 4th would remarkable imo

Who?

City - yes, a bit
United, Liverpool and Arsenal haven't (well maybe United, simply because they don't have to carry Rooney any more)
And Chelsea have weakened losing Costa and replacing him with an inferior player

Teams can only put out 11 players, and no new arrival into the EPL would trouble our starting 11, bar Bernardo Silva

its all personal judgement at this stage so its pointless to get into the microdetails.
but is see united, liverpool, city and chelsea having better teams than last season.
and to put things into comparison, we have lost walker.

at this stage, with all the transfers done, if you think we can end up #2 or better ...if so then would we need any transfers in?

Back