• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham signing memories

Aldo

Tim Sherwood
We were chatting about past past signings earlier. I remember hearing that we'd signed Klinsmann (first time) - it genuinely took my breath away, I couldn't believe that we had lured such a player.

VdV was also a big, although much of the impact of that was due to the sheer surprise - no one had seen that coming.

Yours?

Rebrov
Postiga

It's good to have grown out of thinking big money signings are the most important thing in football.

Klinsmann was a massive coup as he was the best striker the world at that point

Similarly signing World Cup winner Ossis ardiles in an era of no foreigners must have been very surreal

Gazza and Lineker were quite big coups at the time. For some reason I thought Paul Stewart was going to be a big player for us. (Yeah yeah I know he's 'big' now!)

Davids and Klinsmann, even though they were past their prime felt quite special.

I'm always optimistic about a signing but sometimes you can tell after a few minutes if they are going to fit the club...Bent and Berbatov spring to mind as polar opposites!

Klinsmann - Remember thinking this was a great signing but what would my old man have said? An Edmonton jew, he wouldn't have anything german mentioned, let alone allowed in the house!

Ossie & Ricky - A game changer.

Berbatov - Initially? Meh! Then I loved the guy!

Davids - Put some steel in us when we relly needed it.

Modric - See Berbatov

Chivers - The pass Gillie had been waiting for.

Gazza - 'Nuf said

Leeds - Keane, Lennon, Robbo - See Gazza

Was at the Reading friendly that Davids was in attendance of - was we linked prior to him being spotted there or was it an out of the blue signing? Can't remember

Postiga was a massive signing....I was young and impressionable at the time lol.
I never understood why we bought Bentley or Jenas, same goes for Sissoko but he's getting better of late.
I always expected Holtby to do well for us, same for El-Mahamadoui.
I remember being excited about Andy Reid and knowing nothing about Dawson.

Rebrov. Thought he was going to bang them in for us. Not so much.

I also remember being super excited about us signing Robbie Keane. A mate of mine and I had been talking about us signing someone like him, how good it would be, then two weeks later we did! Was really excited about it, and deservedly so, he delivered straight away.

VDV obviously. Although I thought he might be over his peak. Proved me wrong! One of my favourite all time spurs players, I have to say. :)

Modric and Giovani dos Santos both got me excited.

Klinsmann as well. Ginola and Les Ferdinand.

Signing Greavsie was massive, couldn't wait to see him play for us. He couldn't play for some weeks as we had to get some clearance, when he did play it was a midweek afternoon fixture in the Football Combination at Plymouth Argyle and they got a crowd of about 15,000 a lot above their average first team gate, then in the 1st team with a hattrick against Blackpool. We'll never sign a bigger name than him.

VdV. The window had closed without us signing anyone of note. Went out for the night and met a gooner mate, who told me VdV had been signed long after the deadline. I said "Really, who's bought him?", to which he replied with genuine anger, "You have". Quality!

VdV. The window had closed without us signing anyone of note. Went out for the night and met a gooner mate, who told me VdV had been signed long after the deadline. I said "Really, who's bought him?", to which he replied with genuine anger, "You have". Quality!

never a dull window with redknapp. i was on this forum i think and i recall itks citing technical issues, appeals and conspiracy theories

Although I'd hardly heard of them at the time I still remember the stir when Billy Nick went out and signed Dave Mackay, Bill Brown, John White and Les Allen between March and October 1959.

Even with the likes of Danny Blanchflower, Cliff Jones and Bobby Smith already established, the club had only just managed to stave off relegation in 1958/59. Despite this the addition of so many big names in such a short space of time created quite a buzz, sending out a message to all and sundry that Nicholson meant business.

Sure enough, things immediately began to happen from the start of the 1959-60 season which commenced with a 5-1 away victory over Saudi Sportswashing Machine at St James Park. That win started a run of 12 games undefeated including no less than four 5-1 wins all told, one of them at Old Trafford. Even in those days United were about as big as they are now - in relative terms anyway - so that crushing victory sent quite a tremor through the media. So much so it was at about that time that the tag 'Super Spurs' began to resonate through match reports,

Ah. memories!

Last edited:
Back