• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Wolves OMT***

Our aim this season, and every season, should be to go out to win every match. We won’t win every match, of course we won’t, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be giving it all. The players need to go out with the mentality that each game is must win. That mentality will drive us to success ultimately.

Harry Kane said that not winning with us was deemed as being ok. Or something akin to that. It shouldn’t be ok. We need to build a winning mentality within the club and whilst it’s highly unlikely that we will win the league it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t give our all every match in an attempt to do so.

We need to remain in contention and every match have the aim to stay right up there. If we’re ok with not winning, if we don’t chase that top spot, we’ll end outside top 4. We have to aim at the highest point and if we miss by one or two places it remains an excellent season. That paraphrases Bill Nicholson’s great phrase about glory and efforts.
That philosophy suits Mourinho and Conte better: do whatever you can to just make sure you win the match. Ange doesn't work that way. He'd rather lose one game if it means progress on the way we play.

That philosophy suits Mourinho and Conte better: do whatever you can to just make sure you win the match. Ange doesn't work that way. He'd rather lose one game if it means progress on the way we play.

Yes, and no. I can see why you would say that, but I think sitting deep and inviting pressure as they did wasn’t the way to go for a win. They would settle for a point if they faced the circumstances of the Chelsea fixture. I really can’t see them going all out still to try to win the match as we did with Ange.

I think their mentality is more conservative than to just say to go all out to win matches. They want a control aspect; to be in a position in which they feel they have greater control of the outcome of the match rather than to take what they would consider as unnecessary risks in order to go for it. Their caution flies in the face of a mentality of doing whatever is needed to win matches. And definitely I’m happy that they’re no longer here as their matches mostly bored me to sleep.

Now with Ange, he goes all out to try to get the best result. He takes chances and will go for broke. He won’t accept 1-0 but would rather be bold and go for 2-0, 3-0 etc rather than sitting and trying to hold what we have. It’s that brave mentality of pushing to go for more, of throwing the dice and taking chances to win that, to me, is the winning mentality. As I said, I know we will lose matches, but we need to be going out there to do all that we can to win them. Thinking that we won’t stop until the final whistle.

The risk factor may fly in the face of my saying that we should push to win every match. But equally, if it’s 1-1 and into the last ten minutes, under Ange we will be going for it and pushing to win and that’s what I want to see. I want to see us always striving to win, always giving everything. It’s much better to go for a win in that situation and risk defeat than to sit back to conserve a point. The two point swing that a win would make as opposed to the only one for a draw or zero for a loss makes it so.

We do have to go with the mentality to win every match as it’s inexcusable to settle for anything less. As a club we shouldn’t be paying our players as highly as we do and accepting of anything but the players giving their all out on the pitch and that’s what we saw v Chelsea and what led to the standing ovation in spite of the final scoreline.

So I can see what you referred to saying that it was more the Conte/Mourinho style to go 1-0 up and shut up shop and to go for the confirned win. But that backfired too often from our experience with it. I want the players to be brave but to go all out, fight to win but never stop pushing for a greater win. I want the players to be everything that they can be, to show just how good a football team we are and to leave no one in any doubts. We are Tottenham Hotspur, we don’t settle, we push hard, we fight and we achieve the best results that we are capable of achieving.

As long as we do that we will have the crowd behind us and we will be the best that we can be. And that’s what everyone deserves.

I didnt read the Chelsea thread as I've not felt well this week and didnt want to feel any worse, I wish I hadnt started reading this, one defeat and all the pessimism comes flooding back. Im dissapointed at the Chelsea result but I knew we wouldnt go undefeated this season. At least the gloom and doom merchants will be happy.

Ok, so no Maddison, no Romero, no Van de Ven, no Udogie and no Richarlison to go with the ones we've been missing for a while. And question marks over Porro. Struggling to think what the team might look like. I would probably go for: Vicario; Royal, Dier, Hojbjerg, Davies; Bissouma, Sarr, Lo Celso; Deki, Son, Johnson.

And with Porro for Royal and Royal for Davies if Porro can play. It's going to be tough, good thing that Neto's out too.

Ok, so no Maddison, no Romero, no Van de Ven, no Udogie and no Richarlison to go with the ones we've been missing for a while. And question marks over Porro. Struggling to think what the team might look like. I would probably go for: Vicario; Royal, Dier, Hojbjerg, Davies; Bissouma, Sarr, Lo Celso; Deki, Son, Johnson.

And with Porro for Royal and Royal for Davies if Porro can play. It's going to be tough, good thing that Neto's out too.

Bench is going to be light ..

Bench is going to be light ..
Pff, did not want to think about that. Forster, Gil, Bentancur, Skipp, Veliz, Phillips, plus Davies if Porro is fit. Gil and Bentancur might have a role to play though.

Just watched snippets of the Rio meets Ange video. You just know that Ange is looking forward to setting the place on fire. A final score of 4-7 anyone?

the thing we can be sure of is that we won't be shrinking violets. Whatever 11 turns out they will go for it, look to be positive and win on the front foot. None of the apologetic 9 behind the ball flimflam that Conte served up.

I think Gil may play off the right and Kulu drop into midfield. Just a hunch.

I didnt read the Chelsea thread as I've not felt well this week and didnt want to feel any worse, I wish I hadnt started reading this, one defeat and all the pessimism comes flooding back. Im dissapointed at the Chelsea result but I knew we wouldnt go undefeated this season. At least the gloom and doom merchants will be happy.

It's the bedwetters who didn't think things would go well, so are glad of the chance to go hysterical so it validates their initial assessment of the manager who had essentially been making them look silly by surpassing expectations.

To a certain extent I get people being overly emotional at a home loss to Chelsea at the time but to still be throwing the toys out of the pram at this stage is a bit nuts.

However, the one thing that I myself am struggling to be positive about is the idea of Lo Celso stepping up, of course I hope he proves me wrong but what are the odds of him loving the idea of playing a potentially wet and windy game in the west midlands against a hard working and organized decent team. There's not much that has suggested to me that Gio wants to be here but looks like tomorrow will be an opportunity to show that the desire is there.

I'd rather have Kulu in Maddison's position, Brennan on the right and Richy on the left but that's not viable after our latest unfortunate long term injury. Maybe Son could go on the left and Veliz centre? Or Gill on the left thinking about it....Interesting to see how we line up.

It's the bedwetters who didn't think things would go well, so are glad of the chance to go hysterical so it validates their initial assessment of the manager who had essentially been making them look silly by surpassing expectations.

To a certain extent I get people being overly emotional at a home loss to Chelsea at the time but to still be throwing the toys out of the pram at this stage is a bit nuts.

However, the one thing that I myself am struggling to be positive about is the idea of Lo Celso stepping up, of course I hope he proves me wrong but what are the odds of him loving the idea of playing a potentially wet and windy game in the west midlands against a hard working and organized decent team. There's not much that has suggested to me that Gio wants to be here but looks like tomorrow will be an opportunity to show that the desire is there.

I'd rather have Kulu in Maddison's position, Brennan on the right and Richy on the left but that's not viable after our latest unfortunate long term injury. Maybe Son could go on the left and Veliz centre? Or Gill on the left thinking about it....Interesting to see how we line up.

I was thinking this yesterday as well.
There was an article praising Veliz and how (apparently) people have been impressed with him since he joined.

Would be a big call, but I think it would be a good balance.

Vicario
Porro Dier CB Royal
Bissouma
Kulusevski Sarr
Johnson Veliz Son
I would like Bentancur in, but probably still better to start him on the bench and get him more minutes late on. Then see where he is after the international break.

-----------------------Vicario
Porro-------Phillips------------Dier-------Royal
------------Bissouma--------Bentancur
-----------------------Sarr
---Kulusevski--------Son-------Johnson

Maybe Bentancur and Sarr the other way round?

Or Gil in for Bentancur and Kulu moving to ACM?

-------------Hojbjerg--------Bentancur

Or Gil in for Hojbjerg and Kulu moving to ACM?
You’d drop Bissouma? I think there’ll be enough enforced changes to the starting line without making that change as well.

Also our Midfield is generally one deep (Bissouma) and then 2 CMs further forward in Maddison and Sarr.

------------Bissouma--------Bentancur

Or Gil in for Bentancur and Kulu moving to ACM?

That's what I think too. Although I think Ange mentioned in the Summer that he rated LoCelso and he had to be patient etc so maybe he chucks him in for this one. Who knows. It's still hard to believe we lost 5 players for this, 6 if Porro is out!

You’d drop Bissouma? I think there’ll be enough enforced changes to the starting line without making that change as well.

Also our Midfield is generally one deep (Bissouma) and then 2 CMs further forward in Maddison and Sarr.

I just had a random mental blank (probably remembering his Luton red). I was correcting/editing myself at the same time as you were.

I'm definitely a huge Bissuoma fan and definitely not a Hojbjerg one.

That's what I think too. Although I think Ange mentioned in the Summer that he rated LoCelso and he had to be patient etc so maybe he chucks him in for this one. Who knows. It's still hard to believe we lost 5 players for this, 6 if Porro is out!

Lo Celso is done for me. The Fulham cup game was the final straw in terms of clearly nothing has changed. We're just ticking off the days till the January window with him.

Gil though at least offers promise, urgency and creativity. But I'd also use him on the right, with Kulu switching to the #10, just for the greater subtly you need in the lock picker role.

Back