• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Chelsea OMT***

I think a lot of people are missing a wider point. This is a manager who is teaching on the cycle, and this is a squad learning on the go. Ange now knows he can trust them, and he also knows where adjustments might need to happen.

I think it was wonderful he did the high line still, regardless. We had to play. And we had to know what we could, or couldn't, do in such circumstances.

We'll have learnt a lot more about ourselves last night than Chelski did. Remember how many times it was nearly 2-2 before the 93rd minute.

I wouldn't go that far but his tactics on Monday do seem like a statement. He's explained many times that he wanted his players to know that he'd shoulder the blame if something went wrong on the pitch because of his set-up. Monday could be seen as a case where he put his money where his mouth was. It's still a huge risk though because a record defeat, no matter the circumstances, would have been hard to deal with.

It's too early to look at the consequences of this match but it could be a blessing in disguise. It'd be different if we were chasing for the title but considering where we are at the moment, strengthening the bond between the players and the manager doesn't seem like such a bad thing. It's worth noting that the subs gave a good account of themselves, despite their lack of game time since the beginning of the season.

At the end of the day, losing 4-1 or 2-1 with 9 men and two major injuries doesn't make much of a difference. We'll see what happens next but I think you make an interesting point.

ne

A lot of moments to learn from.
I am about to watch it again...something weird happened after Sonny's disallowed goal and their pen. I am going to see if someone put the wind-up on Romero, or if he went off-piste with the charge of the crowd. Destiny's challenge for the yellow was a touch paper. I wonder why the ref was so open for 20 mins, 20 which saw Maddison get some terrible treatment.
Think he got pushed in the back for a pretty clear foul but the ref said play on, things kind of escalated from there, but honestly it’s not excuse for the carry on, that happens all the time.

As a team we lost all discipline for about 10 minutes in the middle of the first half, gave away a load of chances and just stopped playing football.

Think he got pushed in the back for a pretty clear foul but the ref said play on, things kind of escalated from there, but honestly it’s not excuse for the carry on, that happens all the time.

As a team we lost all discipline for about 10 minutes in the middle of the first half, gave away a load of chances and just stopped playing football.
It was the Brazilian centre back who went though him. Smart play

A push in the back I think he was looking for and when he didn't get a foul (would have been soft IMO) he lost it

I agree
they really lack smart players
the fact they had more offsides than shots
they made more fouls than us
didnt have a huge possession upside either
a good team would have had that game won after the Udogie sendin* off very very quickly

A good team would have controlled the game with a two man advantage

They went to a wide open game which could have ended how it did, or 2 of Dier, Bentancur or Son's opportunities went slightly different, could have actually had us win, why would you give a 9 man team the opportunity to draw/win?

Unless they really up their game, City will absolutely smash them on week-end.

A good team would have controlled the game with a two man advantage

They went to a wide open game which could have ended how it did, or 2 of Dier, Bentancur or Son's opportunities went slightly different, could have actually had us win, why would you give a 9 man team the opportunity to draw/win?

Unless they really up their game, City will absolutely smash them on week-end.
Fully agree
They moved Palmer central because he can pass… and then they went wide
They are a mess IMO

Just watched extended highlights again. Udogie should have been sent off for his first tackle - I would be fuming if an opposition player didn't get sent off for both feet in the air, studs up. It shouldn't matter there is minimal contact.

Dier's goal should have stood, it brushes off one Chelsea head, maybe even two.

Vicario's save at the feet of Cucurella was immense, and he was a whisker away from saving a very good penalty.

I'm new , but glad to be here..
I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to feel about last night ?
I'm angry to loose 4-1 to that lot, I hate loosing to them. Also was irritated at the way we just kept going after them with only 9 on the pitch, it was inevitable they would score eventually, but then there's big ange...
Who I love to listen to and cannot believe how he has us playing, so I really don't want to say a bad word about the man....
But still think what he did was a bit naive, but also brave !! Strange set of feelings to be honest.
Welcome. We all hate losing to them, they're a horrible football club.

What Ange did was so unusual. I'd expect every team to sit in with 9. If I was a coach, that's what I'd do. The fact we didn't likely caused Chelsea some confusion because it took a long time for them to really figure out how to make the advantage count.

The danger is always that we think there was a way to get a result with 9. The strong likelihood is that we'd have lost whatever we did. There is not always a way to get a draw. In my view, what Ange did was actually pretty clever and turned what should be an almighty negative, if not into a positive, into something that's caused the confused feelings you've described. He stuck to his principles, made it very clear to the players what we're about (with the conviction to do it in those circumstances, how could you not follow the man) and endeared himself even more to a crowd that has been served up absolute brick in the last 4 years. I'm not sure I'd trade that for a point, let alone the minute chance of a point.

We're a football club that like to think we have traditions and a philosophy that should define us. On Monday night, Ange embraced those traditions in the toughest of circumstances that has me even more excited for the rest of the season.

It was the Brazilian centre back who went though him. Smart play

In fairness, Romero started that one having done the same less than a minute earlier. His challenge in the box was unfortunate. Not malicious, full-blooded for sure. No complaints with the decision, but his true brain fart happened when he tried that long diagonal ball into Madders from the right hand side of the box. That was a moment to play the ball around and just suck the sting out of the game for a bit. We will learn.

What did Bent say?

I think it’s fair to wonder and criticism of Ange is legitimate. It was a mad way to play if your sole goal is to get a point. I know that sounds a bit pretentious and borderline stupid but it seems for Ange that the philosophy is the most important thing and he’s not sacrificing that for what would be a low chance of a point anyway.

I wouldn’t have done it, I think it’s bonkers but I absolutely love him for it.

Again, look how close we were to getting that point with that approach. Our worst spells were when we defended deep. I think to have suddenly switched philosophies would've seen us get taken apart. As it was, at least we played the way we've been playing all season. So close.

Another idiot who's playing football in hypothetical land. It wasn't Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal or Liverpool. We didn't concede 8.

THIS!!!!! Thank you. Maybe these tossers should either a) play the lottery or b) send me a PM and tell me what the winning numbers will be.

Again, look how close we were to getting that point with that approach. Our worst spells were when we defended deep. I think to have suddenly switched philosophies would've seen us get taken apart. As it was, at least we played the way we've been playing all season. So close.
We dared, we aimed for Glory, and the psychological benefits - for the squad, AND for the fans at the ground - will hopefully do more than sitting in our box and maybe getting a draw (which I don't think we'd have got).

We dared, we aimed for Glory, and the psychological benefits - for the squad, AND for the fans at the ground - will hopefully do more than sitting in our box and maybe getting a draw (which I don't think we'd have got).

Agree, i thought we took the game to them and it was great to see us do that, the fans at the game showed they they believed it was the right thing to do by the way we cheered and stayed to the end. Well done Ange.

We lost the game but the smile on the fans faces ( including mine) showed just how much they love the attitude of the team.

I change my profile pix and now he is out for GHod knows how long. Like I am sure everyone else has said, the effort they all made on the night is enough for me. And they deserved the recognition. Hopefully we can ding dong them at theirs. Had we kept our heads, I still think we would have beat them. But we didn't. But we are unified...and that has to count for something.

I cannot stand them lot.....but our time will come. And again I am still waiting for ref's to book the other team when we get fouled. And its a joke that Ange gets booked for being out the technical area when Legohead spends all games doing the very same thing. The day VAR becomes consistent is the day I grow another foot in height.

Just be interesting how the next few weeks go and we keep backing them regardless. This defeat hits different than the others. I am still hopefully and excited!!!

Was coming in to post this. Please tell me this isn't @Bedfordspurs - he's one of the better posters on here.

Jesus, this is almost as bad as the Dippers and their "with the rules of the game applied, we're top" and Woolwich had something similar after the weekend. Are football fans so soft now that we need to invent alternate realities to cope with the fact that our teams sometimes lose?

Was coming in to post this. Please tell me this isn't @Bedfordspurs - he's one of the better posters on here.

Jesus, this is almost as bad as the Dippers and their "with the rules of the game applied, we're top" and Woolwich had something similar after the weekend. Are football fans so soft now that we need to invent alternate realities to cope with the fact that our teams sometimes lose?
It can’t be @Bedfordspurs unless using a different keyboard

Back