• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Barnsley OMT ***

Hope one of us who went can give a bit of a run down of the match
After the angst of the Swansea game, decided I needed to lower my expectations substantially and steel myself for a frustrating night and a possible humiliation. It worked a treat because as a result I ended up enjoying the game immensely.

From the off Alli played like he really meant business. Set about bossing the game in the absence of Eriksen. Loads of clever stuff in and around the box, liberally sprinkled of course with mistakes and over-ambitious trickery. Still, made for great watching and if anyone deserved to get on the score sheet it was him.

Closely followed by Son who sparkled throughout. Constantly attempted to dance and dribble his way into the box, often in tandem with Alli. Plenty of shots from him, some close, some wild but he was always entertaining.

In fact entertainment was the big difference between tonight and Swansea /Burnley.

Foyth looks promising prospect in central defence. Plenty that needs working on in his game though. Got himself into trouble once or twice but also got himself out of it quite nicely.

Trippier mostly infuriated once again like he did against Swansea. Too many poor crosses and too many backward passes, wtf has happened to him? That was until towards the end, once he'd set Dele up for his winner when at last we began to see signs of an improvement.

N'koudou when he came on started off a little too flighty, kept beating his man then running the ball too far ahead of himself and out of play. Nervousness, perhaps, it's been a long time out. But then he started to show what he's all about with some exciting runs down the flank capped off now by some end product. One particular moment stood out: having started on the left he'd switched over to the right flank and was right over by the touchline, confronted with a Barnsley defender. How was he going to get past? Well I don't quite know how he did it but a feint, a half-dragback and a shimmy all in the one movement and he'd left the defender for dead and was through on goal. The crowd gasped and laughed simultaneously at such a gem. Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube.

Some no doubt will paint a very different picture of the 90 minutes but for me it was all about lowering expectations from the outset in order to get something more out of the game.

Like I said, it worked a treat!

FT 1-0. Relief, but hugely disappointing. Only three goals in four games now at Wembley. Not nearly good enough. Hope we improve significantly against Wet Spam on Saturday.

494b2b62c149e406322c3d6e614080b7.gif

After the angst of the Swansea game, decided I needed to lower my expectations substantially and steel myself for a frustrating night and a possible humiliation. It worked a treat because as a result I ended up enjoying the game immensely.

From the off Alli played like he really meant business. Set about bossing the game in the absence of Eriksen. Loads of clever stuff in and around the box, liberally sprinkled of course with mistakes and over-ambitious trickery. Still, made for great watching and if anyone deserved to get on the score sheet it was him.

Closely followed by Son who sparkled throughout. Constantly attempted to dance and dribble his way into the box, often in tandem with Alli. Plenty of shots from him, some close, some wild but he was always entertaining.

In fact entertainment was the big difference between tonight and Swansea /Burnley.

Foyth looks promising prospect in central defence. Plenty that needs working on in his game though. Got himself into trouble once or twice but also got himself out of it quite nicely.

Trippier mostly infuriated once again like he did against Swansea. Too many poor crosses and too many backward passes, wtf has happened to him? That was until towards the end, once he'd set Dele up for his winner when at last we began to see signs of an improvement.

N'koudou when he came on started off a little too flighty, kept beating his man then running the ball too far ahead of himself and out of play. Nervousness, perhaps, it's been a long time out. But then he started to show what he's all about with some exciting runs down the flank capped off now by some end product. One particular moment stood out: having started on the left he'd switched over to the right flank and was right over by the touchline, confronted with a Barnsley defender. How was he going to get past? Well I don't quite know how he did it but a feint, a half-dragback and a shimmy all in the one movement and he'd left the defender for dead and was through on goal. The crowd gasped and laughed simultaneously at such a gem. Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube.

Some no doubt will paint a very different picture of the 90 minutes but for me it was all about lowering expectations from the outset in order to get something more out of the game.

Like I said, it worked a treat!

Thanks for the write-up! Much appreciated.

I really hope we get to see more of N'Kouodu this year. I only caught glimpses of him through the Periscope-stream yesterday, but he a had a few good runs on the flank, it seemed. We sure could utilize his speed in certain matches. Give him a few matches and a bit of confidence, and I'm sure he could do a job for us. Fingers crossed! :)

A bit of my passion for football dies each time I visit Wembley...just hope the new stadium is as good as the old one was!
Moan, moan, moan. Yes, it's too big and a bit sterile, and with 25k it's like a desert. But a (close to) full Wembley is not bad. Good seats, decent view. Our new stadium will be MUCH better, but Wembley ain't that bad. But if you decide that it's bad, then it will be bad.

So, this is another unconvincing Cup performance under Pochettino. Obviously, Pochettino does not rate League Cup or FA Cup highly. But it was wrong for him to say it openly. It is not surprising that the players find it hard to lift their game in Cup matches like these.

Credit to Alli for scoring and Trippier for assisting our only goal. This means Alli remains our only goal scorer in 4 English league and Cup matches at Wembley. Remember we have only scored 3 goals in those matches with 2 scored by Alli and another being an own goal. It is clear we are struggling to overcome the Wembley jinx. Would have preferred Llorente to score on his debut or Kane to get his first domestic goal at Wembley this season. I think Kane should have played a part just to get his goal.

This match again shows our lack of squad depth especially in midfield and attack. We have struggled every time we rested our key players. When we struggle to beat a lowly Championship team at home, not sure how we are going to handle much stronger teams.

Glad we kept another clean sheet. It seems like Foyth had a promising debut. Atleast we have more depth in defence now. But Boom shaka laka similiar depth in midfield and attack as well.

Again, Pochettino should take the League Cup and FA Cup seriously. Remember, Pochettino has never won any major trophy as a manager and we have not won any since the League Cup win in 2008. We should be taking all the Cups seriously until we start to win the trophies regularly. Hope Pochettino will keep this in mind.

I can't comment on last night's game as I did not go, but it only confirms my belief that without Kane and Eriksen we struggle to look dangerous in our home games and that making more than 3 changes to the team severely reduces our performance. After seeing this problem for the last 2 years it's surprising when I see so many people suggesting multiple changes to the team each week. I do not see it is possible to have suitable cover for the two players I have mentioned as players of that calibre want to play regularly or want mega money to sit on the bench. So far this season we have been off the pace but I expect us to get stronger and quicker as the year goes on. My view is that rotation should only be used for players that need a rest and we should always look to play our strongest team, the last two league winners did this, I know they had less midweek games but it's a case of setting targets and committing to them, we cannot win 4 trophies this season.

Why does everyone think that an abject performance is down to Pochettino's talk before the game or Kane and Eriksen missing. The game is very much in keeping with the pattern that we have seen so far at Wembley and even some games from last year. Give us possession and we may struggle to create against a low block. We will need to keep working on a solution. We overpowered sides at WHL eventually. Let's give them a chance to get back to that, we are capable.

Why does everyone think that an abject performance is down to Pochettino's talk before the game or Kane and Eriksen missing. The game is very much in keeping with the pattern that we have seen so far at Wembley and even some games from last year. Give us possession and we may struggle to create against a low block. We will need to keep working on a solution. We overpowered sides at WHL eventually. Let's give them a chance to get back to that, we are capable.

It is the ONLY way forward. Hard work on the training ground.

Just another comment on the game. As some have have said, I also went with low expectations but did actually enjoy it!

We dominated throughout but it was always that final pass/shot that lets us down, they had one real chance on goal from a long clearance (they're only real tatic tbh, soak it up and go long to catch us) that caused us trouble and Vorm saved well.

People, including Poch, understandably crediting Barnsley with a great defensive display. But they did what everyone seems to be doing against us, creating a wall in desperation not to get hammered. With 5 minutes to go, 1-0 down, they had a free kick in our half and only 2 Barnsley players bothered to get forward onto the edge of our box, the rest didn't move. Maybe it's me but I didn't sense any real desire to try and get something from the game, it seems they were just happy with playing us at Wembley and not getting a spanking.

I still can't fathom how it's possible that none of the games are on TV (at least here in the States, where we regularly get most games, including cups). I mean, if I were Carabao, I'd be fuming at the lack of exposure.
This was my thought as well.

N'koudou .... One particular moment stood out: having started on the left he'd switched over to the right flank and was right over by the touchline, confronted with a Barnsley defender. How was he going to get past? Well I don't quite know how he did it but a feint, a half-dragback and a shimmy all in the one movement and he'd left the defender for dead and was through on goal. The crowd gasped and laughed simultaneously at such a gem. Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube.
They did, in the post before yours?!

GKN looks so full of tricks, always darting into the box, looks really good to me. The opposite of Sissoko, who just lumbers around with the ball bouncing off his shins, passing to his teammate's throats... it will be interesting to see who has the better Spurs career, a very skillful GKN or the lumbering wooden Ox, Sissoko

FOURTH ROUND DRAW IN FULL

Tottenham Hotspur vs. West Ham United
Bristol City vs. Crystal Palace
Swansea City vs. Manchester United
Arsenal vs. Norwich City
Chelsea vs. Everton
Emirates Marketing Project vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers
Leicester City vs. Leeds United
AFC Bournemouth vs. Middlesbrough

So, we will face West Ham at home in Round 4. Not really an ideal match for us. Remember, we lost 1-2 at home to West Ham in Round 5 in 2014, conceding 2 goals in the last 10 mins.

Back