• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Arsenal OMT***

One thing to note as well is Arsenal never opened us up. All of their chances came from their good pressing and subsequent mistakes from ourselves. The Jesus chance came from Maddison coughing up the ball. The Nketiah near post shot came from the terrible back pass from Udogie. I literally can't think of any other good chances. Their first goal came from the deflection. What else did they do?

Whereas we actually opened them up a few times. The Raya worldie save from Johnson. Our first goal obviously, which came on the back of passing pressure and attacking their goal.

I've watched a lot of analysis of the game since and no one is really picking up on the fact Arsenal were never able to fashion even a half decent chance from their feet.

Ok. Fair result in the end. What did we learn? Think we need another option at cb, for maddison or son. We lost pace when son, johnson and maddison came off as well as creativity.

Romero unlucky with goal and handball (did the arsenal player handball beforehand)? But wanted him subbed cause i thought he might lose it mentally.

The passing around the back while being pressed was dangerous. Yet second half when we weren't vicario seemed to go long. Didn't understand that.

Anyway, bring on liverpool.

Correct. I know that we play from the back.
However, it is really risky passing to the GK, specially while being pressed.
We gave Arsenal a few chances there.

100%, it was a disgraceful tackle. In my view, even worse because it’s on a defenceless goalkeeper (though I understand that doesn’t make sense as a rule.)

Then you compare it with what Emerson Royal got sent off for last season…crazy.

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

One thing to note as well is Arsenal never opened us up. All of their chances came from their good pressing and subsequent mistakes from ourselves. The Jesus chance came from Maddison coughing up the ball. The Nketiah near post shot came from the terrible back pass from Udogie. I literally can't think of any other good chances. Their first goal came from the deflection. What else did they do?

Whereas we actually opened them up a few times. The Raya worldie save from Johnson. Our first goal obviously, which came on the back of passing pressure and attacking their goal.

I've watched a lot of analysis of the game since and no one is really picking up on the fact Arsenal were never able to fashion even a half decent chance from their feet.
It’s because their system relies on volume
Stop the volume of chances and they need quality
Saka can be that
But Jesus… hot and cold
Nketiah..not really
Odegard was taken out of the game with out movement
The player I laugh at most is Zichenko. Good player but not a great left back or CM and they ask him to play both roles. Kulu had him nailed back
Good job they spent 200m plus this summer to score less and concede more

Apparently white hand balled before Romero and talk is had that shot gone in they would have pulled it back but not after Romeros hand ball.

Games on its arse with all this
I noticed this afterwards. When he initially controlled it the ball bounced up and touched his hand. For some reason that wasn't spotted and hasn't been mentioned since.

I'm really not one who complains about refs as i find it pointless and I do beleive it tends to even out but yesterday the ref was such a massive homer it was annoying. The yellow that Sarr got when it seemed like he got the ball clean, there was another one in the first half when I think it was Kulu got fouled and was semi clean through on the right but it got given as foul against. Both times no replay was ever shown.

A question about the handball/penalty (and handball in general).
This is the handball rule from the FA website, which is interesting. I'd suggest that the position of Romero's hand/arm was the consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement. It certainly wasn't an intentional movement to make the body bigger. So did the ref make a mistake, or was it correct.
When I first saw it I agreed definitely a penalty. It now reading the rules im not sure.

'touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised'
I don't think anyone really know the handball rule these days or at least how to interpret it, especially not those in the VAR room. Some are given, some not for very similar incidents. It seems totally random. As Ange said, you just have to hope it evens out in the course of the season.

I don't think anyone really know the handball rule these days or at least how to interpret it, especially not those in the VAR room. Some are given, some not for very similar incidents. It seems totally random. As Ange said, you just have to hope it evens out in the course of the season.
Its not random. Its betting ring interference. VAR is much more vulnerable to that than human referees

Correct. I know that we play from the back.
However, it is really risky passing to the GK, specially while being pressed.
We gave Arsenal a few chances there.

I agree it’s nerve wracking and risky — and we will get picked off, like Brighton did yesterday — but it’s a vital part of our setup, to draw the opposition out. Once we beat the first press then we can really punish them.

Refereeing aside, it was an interesting game to watch, even though I felt we were mostly second best. On the plus side, we showed a lot of character and we never folded. It's also a good opportunity for me to eat a huge slice of humble pie: I said I wasn't a big fan of Bissouma earlier this season and he completely won me over with his last few performances. He's been absolutely massive. Shows I much I know about football, I guess... Anyway, it's really been a very good start to the season, so much so that I'm actually looking forward to the Liverpool game for a change!
Everyone I've spoken to today, who isn't a Spurs fan, said we were the better team, and their goals came from an unlucky deflection and a questionable penalty, and ours came from our own play.

I watched the game again now, and live I felt we were under massive pressure the first 25 minutes, but watching it again without the stress, we really weren't, apart from a couple of lapses in concentration. They didn't really create much themselves, and we were actually fairly comfortable.
If at least one of Son or Maddison had been able to play the full game, I think we'd have won it.

Yes, plus the fact is their system, their entire goal of the system is to own possession.

The fact is their best spells of the game, we still had better possession, so while their press created some ball turnovers, they weren't able to hold possession and dominate us, their domination was just moments of the game where they could push our line deeper.

Everyone I've spoken to today, who isn't a Spurs fan, said we were the better team, and their goals came from an unlucky deflection and a questionable penalty, and ours came from our own play.

I watched the game again now, and live I felt we were under massive pressure the first 25 minutes, but watching it again without the stress, we really weren't, apart from a couple of lapses in concentration. They didn't really create much themselves, and we were actually fairly comfortable.
If at least one of Son or Maddison had been able to play the full game, I think we'd have won it.

All sports is like that, once you know the outcome that tension disappears and that's a vital element of the contest, things that look really dangerous or disastrous live seem less so on a recording and the electric shock you get when a goal is scored, a wicket taken, a knockout punch or your horse crosses the line can never be repeated.

We are all bias but I had to smile when I saw a bit of his interview when he said they let in a couple of bad goals, compared to his they were worldies, but interviewer just let it go.

I still feel we ought to differentiate between a deliberate handball ( everyone used to know what that meant) and an innocuous one . A penalty is just too harsh for unintended hand ball.
Exhibit A Sissoko in the CL final.

I agree. I know the rules is as it is, because trying to interpret intent is very difficult. But that is the essence of handball - intentionally using your hand to control or divert the ball.

Back