• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur v Wigan Athletic Match History 2005-2013 & OMT

Sounds like we were very lethargic most of this game. Can anyone offer a reason why? We've stopped the heavy schedules now, I would have thought we at least would have looked fresh...

Sounds like we were very lethargic most of this game. Can anyone offer a reason why? We've stopped the heavy schedules now, I would have thought we at least would have looked fresh...

I'll offer a few thoughts mate and see what others think too...

1) The side AVB sent out was suspect. I don't think Parker/Hudd/Dembele can function together properly unless we have Bale, Lennon and Ade. We need Ade to be able to hold the ball/stretch defences/make space for runners, and we need pace from the middle. Yesterday we had Tommy's passing, which was often sublime, but with JD uptop it was only going to work as long as Wigan played a high-line, which they quite ludicrously did. Subsequently, we looked like Brazil at the start.

2) Having got the early goal, we switched off IMMEDIATELY, and for me, this allowed two things to happen. Our confidence was knocked AND Wigan suddenly sat a little deeper and got a little more organized and comfortable. They didn't sit super-deep at this point, but right when the confidence had been drained from them, they absolutely found it flooding back. They settled. They dropped back 5-10 yards and we were left then playing more of our game in front of their box. Always harder. We failed to take advantage of two excellent chances before the half ended.

3) Second-half, again some very slack defending across the top of the box (Holtby failing to close a pass down and Naughton failing to throw his body on the line at the shot) and they scored, which allowed a full-press retreat to 10 men behind the ball. We genuinely looked nervous and shell-shocked at that point, and lost 10-15 minutes as we tried to figure out WTF was going on.

We scrambled the equalizer and still could've won it (undeservedly) at the death, but I will say, as disappointed as I was, I also felt it could again prove to be a vital point gained. The goons result earlier vindicates that thought.

But AVB will be hoping for a fully fit Lennon for Chelski and he cannot experiment with 4-3-3 starting line-ups again before the season ends IMHO. Nice option if the game demands it, otherwise noooooo...

COYS

4) players were not used to each other playing the ball behind/through a very crowded defence. in the Emirates Marketing Project game we did this in the second half when there was more space available

5) we played directly in wigans game plan - defend with 6 and hassle with 4 - killing the space bale needed and overwhelming defoe everytime the ball got near

7) We really needed proper width from our full-backs, and our left-hand side needed to have left-footed players in particular yesterday. Very curious decision from AVB not to start with Benny. If Benny and Walker push up, the CB's split and Hudd passes from deep...

7) We really needed proper width from our full-backs, and our left-hand side needed to have left-footed players in particular yesterday. Very curious decision from AVB not to start with Benny. If Benny and Walker push up, the CB's split and Hudd passes from deep...

Yup was very surprised to see Naughton starting. Not sure what the thinking was there.

If someone had told me we would lose one of our final 5 games I would have bet on it being this one. I'm far from confident in us doing the business against Chelsea, but we'll play a lot better than we did today.

I know what you mean but I expected Wigan to be a lot better and more determined than they were. They started very poorly and at the end of the half too they were there for the taking. They scored at good times though which boosted their confidence and commitment.

Back