• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Nope, just done some extensive research, results below

Current > Planned max capacity by stadium:

75k > 88k - United (plans announced 2017; start/completion dates awaited)
57k > 66k - West Ham (existing capacity is 66k, owners currently lobbying to be allowed up to 60k)
36k > 61k - Tottenham (completion expected 2018)
55k > 61k - City (plans confirmed 2016; start/completion dates awaited)
60k - 60k - Celtic (no expansion planned)
41k > 60k - Chelsea (completion planned for 20/21)
60k - 60k - Arsenal (no expansion planned)
54k > 59k - Liverpool (announcement due Sept 2017)
40k > 50k - Everton (new stadium plans announced; start/completion dates awaited)
52k - 52k - Saudi Sportswashing Machine (all previous hopes for expansion dashed by Mike Ashley March 2017)
50k - 50k - Rangers (no expansion planned)

Assuming we manage to fill the new WHL regularly our average attendance should place us comfortably among the top ten in Europe:

Average attendances by top European clubs 2016/17

79,653 Dortmund
78,034 Barcelona
75,290 Man United
75,000 Bayern Munich
69,462 Real Madrid
60,703 Schalke 04
59,957 Arsenal
56,972 West Ham
55,952 Benfica
54,762 Celtic
54,091 Emirates Marketing Project
53,016 Liverpool
52,341 Hamburg
51,494 Borussia Mönchengladbach
51,106 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
50,573 Stuttgart
50,267 Hertha Berlin

great effort there, Spur!
i don't see how united is going to fill an 88k stadium - the additional must come from tourists.
that said i wonder if our overseas commercial marketing department is thinking global with the new stadium, shop and sponsors.

i don't see how united is going to fill an 88k stadium - the additional must come from tourists.
that said i wonder if our overseas commercial marketing department is thinking global with the new stadium, shop and sponsors.
Cheers. Here's an old link revealing huge discrepancies between officially published OT attendance figures and police records for 2012/13, suggesting their Statement of Intent to expand OT to 88k might just be an exercise in willy-waggling:
http://redsaway.com/2013/04/revealed-how-many-people-actually-go-to-old-trafford/

Last edited:

The majority already does. It's can be like Beijing central there sometimes.

I think you will find that they have over taken us globally with fan base

The main purpose of 'global fan base' stats is to convince sponsors to pay more money. It has a different meaning depending on which agency has been commissioned to produce the research (and who is paying for it).

The main purpose of 'global fan base' stats is to convince sponsors to pay more money. It has a different meaning depending on which agency has been commissioned to produce the research (and who is paying for it).

Sounds bananas if they all say the same thing. Surely not all are paid

Cheers. Here's an old link revealing huge discrepancies between officially published OT attendance figures and police records for 2012/13, suggesting their Statement of Intent to expand OT to 88k might just be an exercise in willy-waggling:
http://redsaway.com/2013/04/revealed-how-many-people-actually-go-to-old-trafford/
I don't think the clubs are particularly bothered whether or not the fans actually turn up, just as long as the tickets are sold. One of the reasons why I think resale platforms such as Stubhub are good are because they allow ST holders to easily sell their ticket if they are unable to attend. OK so some matches end up over face value, but other matches see tickets sold for under face value, it is simple supply and demand. The only change I would like to see on Stubhub is a limit so that an ST holder can only sell a maximum of 4 or 5 games per season in an attempt to avoid people taking a season ticket simply to tout it.

I would be interested to find out what method they are using to measure our attendances at Wembley. It looked to me as though the attendance is being announced as bums on seats as opposed to tickets sold. I say this because it seemed to me as though the number of tickets still available for sale the day before the game (only about 100 or so) plus those not made available at all (the back 12 to 15 rows of the corners of the top tier) would probably only equate to somewhere between about 6 and 10 thousand tickets.

I don't think the clubs are particularly bothered whether or not the fans actually turn up, just as long as the tickets are sold. One of the reasons why I think resale platforms such as Stubhub are good are because they allow ST holders to easily sell their ticket if they are unable to attend. OK so some matches end up over face value, but other matches see tickets sold for under face value, it is simple supply and demand. The only change I would like to see on Stubhub is a limit so that an ST holder can only sell a maximum of 4 or 5 games per season in an attempt to avoid people taking a season ticket simply to tout it.

I would be interested to find out what method they are using to measure our attendances at Wembley. It looked to me as though the attendance is being announced as bums on seats as opposed to tickets sold. I say this because it seemed to me as though the number of tickets still available for sale the day before the game (only about 100 or so) plus those not made available at all (the back 12 to 15 rows of the corners of the top tier) would probably only equate to somewhere between about 6 and 10 thousand tickets.
I get that up to a point, but there could come a time surely when the visibility of empty seats on tv becomes too much of a negative, sending out the wrong message to viewers. Why else were you and others including myself so keen to avoid seeing too many empty seats at Wembley?

Sounds bananas if they all say the same thing. Surely not all are paid

Why would anyone commission the research if it wasn't to drive some form of revenue for a team or the league? It's not like it has any impact on what happens in the pitch or in the stadium.

What constitutes a 'fan' can be as tenuous as being a Twitter follower of a player who plays for the team.

Why would anyone commission the research if it wasn't to drive some form of revenue for a team or the league? It's not like it has any impact on what happens in the pitch or in the stadium.

What constitutes a 'fan' can be as tenuous as being a Twitter follower of a player who plays for the team.

Do they though? Most research is biased but in this instance the data seems to be consistent with what the common knowledge of teams value seems to be bar a few shockers like west ham

Looking at the Amazing stadiums we have in this country and soon to have more its a total void that we dont have a Wold Cup coming here. No Money need. All ready to go.

New White Hart Lane, Emirates, Wembley, Anfield, Old Trafford, The Etihad, Stadium of Light, St James Park. Its just crazy. I hate how corrupt FIFA was and still is.

Looking at the Amazing stadiums we have in this country and soon to have more its a total void that we dont have a Wold Cup coming here. No Money need. All ready to go.

New White Hart Lane, Emirates, Wembley, Anfield, Old Trafford, The Etihad, Stadium of Light, St James Park. Its just crazy. I hate how corrupt FIFA was and still is.
But how would you launder any money if you have nothing to pay out?

Do they though? Most research is biased but in this instance the data seems to be consistent with what the common knowledge of teams value seems to be bar a few shockers like west ham

You'd have to show me some examples. I previously worked in football for a few years, so am only commenting on how our commercial teams appointed research agencies.

The research is always paid for by someone, nearly always to drive sponsorship or broadcast revenue, and the agencies are usually incentivised to design a methodology which maximises the number of fans.

Back