• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Ornstein - Athletic

“It is now three and a half years since Tottenham Hotspur moved into their new home, a £1billion state-of-the-art stadium built on top of the old White Hart Lane. But despite chairman Daniel Levy confirming back in 2019 that the club would be interested in securing a “naming-rights deal” with the “right brand, on the right money”, no such agreement has been struck.
That could be about to change. Because The Athletic has learned that Tottenham are in meaningful talks with Google over naming rights for the 62,850-capacity stadium, which hosted an NFL match between the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints yesterday.

Google, one of the most valuable companies in the world, has struck a number of sports partnerships in recent years. In March, the McLaren Racing Formula 1 team signed Google to its sponsorship portfolio in a multi-year deal, while the tech giant also has commercial agreements with the NBA and the MLB in the United States.

Tottenham’s stadium holds obvious appeal. As well as hosting the club’s home matches in the Premier League and Champions League — two of the most-watched football tournaments in the world — the ground also stages regular NFL matches and could yet welcome a permanent franchise in the future. The stadium has also hosted rugby league’s Challenge Cup Final, heavyweight boxing world title fights and several large concerts.

Any deal with Google would be a coup for Tottenham too. The club’s average annual turnover is the fifth-best in the Premier League and Spurs already have lucrative long-term arrangements with its main shirt sponsor AIA, kit supplier Nike, plus a sleeve partnership with online car seller Cinch. But striking a naming-rights deal would boost their coffers further at a time when they continue to make solid progress on the pitch under Antonio Conte.

An agreement would additionally be a triumph for Todd Kline, the club’s first ever chief commercial officer. Kline moved to north London from the US and, while working at the Miami Dolphins, helped the NFL side to land a naming rights deal for their stadium, worth a reported $250million (£226m) over 18 years.

Tottenham and Google were contacted for comment.

I seem to recall reading or being told that it was a space that the main sponsor, so potentially AIA could use. So either we're waiting for the big naming rights deal before it's used properly or they haven't got a clue on what to do with it.

Asked guy I was working with and he said there are still plans but there was no urgency because of Covid to begin with and they need to work out logistics of how it will work as you can't watch games from there due to booze rules and logistically its not near any premium seats (Unlike tunnel club etc).

Obviously better than nothing but isn't in on the low side at around 12m a year?

Also why do google need to advertise, they are to search engines what Rizla are to fag papers and tannoy to PA systems?!
That was a poor reference. Tannoy have been totally irrelevant in the professional speaker industry for over 25 years! I work with this stuff, and haven't seen a Tannoy at all since I started in that industry in 1995.

Obviously better than nothing but isn't in on the low side at around 12m a year?

Also why do google need to advertise, they are to search engines what Rizla are to fag papers and tannoy to PA systems?!
The numbers quoted there are for Miami Dolphins, not us.

This article from Ornstein seems to be a week old, he’s referencing last weeks NFL game as being played yesterday. I’m surprised this wasn’t picked up on earlier if the article’s been out a week already?

This article from Ornstein seems to be a week old, he’s referencing last weeks NFL game as being played yesterday. I’m surprised this wasn’t picked up on earlier if the article’s been out a week already?

There was a game yesterday.

The article came out 2 hours ago.

Guess they could use any of their brands/services if they so wished, The Android Arena, Tag Manager Stadium, etc etc.

That was a poor reference. Tannoy have been totally irrelevant in the professional speaker industry for over 25 years! I work with this stuff, and haven't seen a Tannoy at all since I started in that industry in 1995.
If anything, I think that strengthens @MKSpur's point. People very much talk about announcements being heard "over the Tannoy". Like Hoover and Sellotape, Google is a household brand.

Now watch us become the "Android North London Stadium".

Back