• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur FC vs South Coast Big Club OMT ***

According to whoscored:

Bae had 109 touches of the ball.

Bale, Lennon, Defoe and Dempsey had 113 between them.

Not exactly the most reliable source though.

I normally agree with virtually everything you post on here braineclipse, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I can't speak for whether other people would have slated him for doing things differently, but as soon as I saw the lineup I was worried that we'd struggle to string any passes together with Bale, Defoe and Dempsey all about scoring goals and making runs behind defenders (at least in this game).

Not sure what you mean by "same story" with Siggy and Dempsey - to me they are quite different style of players. And I would have played Lennon too (I would have just played Holtby ahead of Dempsey). Of course we might still have played poorly - we can never know - but I think it's almost self-evident that it will be very difficult to keep possession against a pressing team when you play with two strikers and two wide-men high up the pitch.

(Regarding the subs, in fairness I find it frustrating how managers in general wait so long to make subs, so I guess I'm not picking on AVB or yesterday specifically.)

You make good points, but we've looked much better with similar line-ups earlier this season so I don't think it's just down to tactics and selection.

No problems agreeing to disagree though :)

According to whoscored:

Seems about right from how I remember the game.

You make good points, but we've looked much better with similar line-ups earlier this season so I don't think it's just down to tactics and selection.

No problems agreeing to disagree though :)

Seems about right from how I remember the game.

Even if you're right, it's playing that line-up / shape specifically against a team who's so well-known for pressing man-to-man high up the pitch that I think was a poor decision.

Wouldn't it be great if managers wrote public articles about their tactical approach to each game? AVB is well-known for being a 'tactical' manager who bases gameplans on the differing opposition each week but, despite us all spending so much time discussing things like this on Glory Glory, we never actually get to hear about it direct from the manager!

I was at the game yesterday and have to say I was very impressed by Southampton, seemed very assured on the ball and knocked it around nicely even when we pressed them well and got into a no of promising positions on the flanks for crosses etc which is far more than we did all day. To be honest I was alarmed at the ease at which they just seemed to knock it around the pitch with what many would say are far more limited players than ours.

I think Sig definitely has to start against Chelsea, looked good yesterday and seems to get involved a lot more.

According to whoscored:

BAE saw a lot of the ball and he dealt with it well. Like Hudd he had nobody to pass to.

According to whoscored:

According to WhoScored:

BAE misplaced 19 of the 59 passes he attempted.
Bale (2 of 20), Lennon (4 of 10), Defoe (3 of 10) and Dempsey (10 of 26) misplaced 19 passes between them, of 67 attempted.

Twitter / OptaJoe: 20% - Tottenham played the highest proportion of long passes (35+ yards) in the Premier League this weekend. Eager.

I was at the game yesterday and have to say I was very impressed by Southampton, seemed very assured on the ball and knocked it around nicely even when we pressed them well and got into a no of promising positions on the flanks for crosses etc which is far more than we did all day. To be honest I was alarmed at the ease at which they just seemed to knock it around the pitch with what many would say are far more limited players than ours.

I think Sig definitely has to start against Chelsea, looked good yesterday and seems to get involved a lot more.

Just goes to show that you do not need 20mill play makers to be able to knock the ball around as a team.

That's Wigan, Southampton and Swansea who play better football than us with a lesser team.

Just goes to show that you do not need 20mill play makers to be able to knock the ball around as a team.

That's Wigan, Southampton and Swansea who play better football than us with a lesser team.

Amazing what a manager with a footballing philosophy can do.

This is why Alan Pardew must be sacked immediately. Defensive, negative, taco.

We were very fortunate to win this match. For some reason, we never turned up for this match. Not sure if the pressure got to the players or not as they just just couldn't lift their game. Fortunately for us, Bale rescued us again with the late wonder goal. Really disappointed with our performance as that was a good chance for us to get a big win and increase our goal difference. The fact Southampton had more shots on target than us is really disappointing. We cannot afford to play like that against Chelsea or we will get trounced. Hope we will lift our game against Chelsea.

Great to see Bale scoring his 20th league goal of the season. It has been a long long time since a Spurs player achieved that. It seems only Sheringham and Klinsmann have scored more than 20 league goals for us during the PL era. It has been that long ! Nice to see Bale reaching that record now. It is brilliant the way he always scores these wonder goals just when we needed them most. He didn't have a good game but to come up with the crucial goal is the sign of a great player. Hope he can score a few more goals in the remaining matches. Just wish the likes of Defoe and Dempsey had scored as well. We really should be beating teams like Southampton by more than 1 goal at home.

Our midfield were really disappointing, especially after Dembele went off injured. Was hoping Hudd can prove his worth after inspiring us against ManCity. But he has been poor in the 2 matches since then. Was not impressed with Holtby either. I think we missed Parker. I think Hudd needs to be more aggressive like Parker. We really lack a top quality ball-winning midfielder. A younger Parker would have been an ideal choice for us. Hope we will buy similiar defensive midfielder next season. Disappointed with Lennon as he was hardly in the match. I think there is no point playing an unfit Lennon as he is mentally not strong enough to play on while injured.

Really satisfied to see our defence keeping a clean sheet for once ! Just wish we had kept more clean sheets like that. Due credit to Lloris for making some great saves. I think it boosts the confidence of the defenders when the goalie is making such great saves. Hope Lloris will go on to help is keep clean sheets in the remaining matches. We really should be doing that consistently as that will increase our goal difference.

It was a crucial win. We could have dropped valuable points if we had not win. Hope this win will boost our confidence to go on a winning run.

Amazing what a manager with a footballing philosophy can do.

This is why Alan Pardew must be sacked immediately. Defensive, negative, taco.

weren't he the best thing since sliced bread less than a year a go?

Turns out that taco that abused Shaw on twitter at least owned up to it, sort of:

dLDjgHu.png

To simplify skyfarer's 10,000 word thesis on Push and Run:

When a Spurs player gets the ball, he starts running and does what he can to move forwards, whilst his teammates stand and watch him.

When a United (etc) player gets the ball, the rest of the team start running to give him options - it is not up to that player to run, but the rest of them.

Back