• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top of the League ( in squad age )

Talksport did the match on the squads and we are the youngest. Manchester United were 3rd which suprised me a lot.

http://talksport.com/football/all-2...average-age-oldest-youngest-150921167308?p=19

I think their maths is wrong (our squad average is 23.5, not 24.6):

Michel Vorm 31
Hugo Lloris 28
Jan Vertonghen 28
Mousa Dembele 28
Federico Fazio 28
Toby Alderweireld 26
Nacer Chadli 26
Kyle Walker 25
Danny Rose 25
Kieran Trippier 24
Andros Townsend 24
Ryan Mason 24
Tom Carroll 23
Erik Lamela 23
Christian Eriksen 23
Son Heung-Min 23
Harry Kane 22
Alex Pritchard 22
Ben Davies 22
Kevin Wimmer 22
Clinton Njie 22
Eric Dier 21
Nabil Bentaleb 20
Dele Alli 19
Harry Winks 19
Luke McGee 19
Josh Onomah 18

Average squad age = 23.5

Michel Vorm 31
Hugo Lloris 28
Jan Vertonghen 28
Mousa Dembele 28
Federico Fazio 28
Toby Alderweireld 26
Nacer Chadli 26
Kyle Walker 25
Danny Rose 25
Kieran Trippier 24
Andros Townsend 24
Ryan Mason 24
Tom Carroll 23
Erik Lamela 23
Christian Eriksen 23
Son Heung-Min 23
Harry Kane 22
Alex Pritchard 22
Ben Davies 22
Kevin Wimmer 22
Clinton Njie 22
Eric Dier 21
Nabil Bentaleb 20
Dele Alli 19
Harry Winks 19
Luke McGee 19
Josh Onomah 18

Average squad age = 23.5

Luke McGee first team squad? I think you are reaching there

Michel Vorm 31
Hugo Lloris 28
Jan Vertonghen 28
Mousa Dembele 28
Federico Fazio 28
Toby Alderweireld 26
Nacer Chadli 26
Kyle Walker 25
Danny Rose 25
Kieran Trippier 24
Andros Townsend 24
Ryan Mason 24
Tom Carroll 23
Erik Lamela 23
Christian Eriksen 23
Son Heung-Min 23
Harry Kane 22
Alex Pritchard 22
Ben Davies 22
Kevin Wimmer 22
Clinton Njie 22
Eric Dier 21
Nabil Bentaleb 20
Dele Alli 19
Harry Winks 19
Luke McGee 19
Josh Onomah 18

Average squad age = 23.5

According to our official website the following players are not part of our first team

Harry Winks 19
Luke McGee 19
Josh Onomah 18

Michel Vorm 31
Hugo Lloris 28
Jan Vertonghen 28
Mousa Dembele 28
Federico Fazio 28
Toby Alderweireld 26
Nacer Chadli 26
Kyle Walker 25
Danny Rose 25
Kieran Trippier 24
Andros Townsend 24
Ryan Mason 24
Tom Carroll 23
Erik Lamela 23
Christian Eriksen 23
Son Heung-Min 23
Harry Kane 22
Alex Pritchard 22
Ben Davies 22
Kevin Wimmer 22
Clinton Njie 22
Eric Dier 21
Nabil Bentaleb 20
Dele Alli 19
Harry Winks 19
Luke McGee 19
Josh Onomah 18

Average squad age = 23.5

Except the Talkbrick article referred to the average age of the team that was fielded on Sunday, not the average age of the squad overall.

He was in the 27 man squad we submitted to the league and FIFA. He's been promoted to 3rd GK now (after Friedel, Archer and Miles were all released in the summer)

Like I said, he is not even on the Spurs first team web page.

27 man squad submitted to the league? Are you sure?

Except the Talkbrick article referred to the average age of the team that was fielded on Sunday, not the average age of the squad overall.
Nope that was 23.9. I worked that out further in up there. But maybe it was the matchday squad. That can be the only thing now.

The article cites Transfermarkt as the source of the data on the average age of the squad (and they do have 24.6, I checked). It also says the lineup against Palace had an average age of 24y and 118d (24.3). Also, if we're going to 3 sig figs, the average for GB's squad above is close to 24.0 ( a few of them have either just had birthdays or have one coming up).

Regardless of what calculation they used this is at least some widespread recognition of the youth of our squad.

To be fair it is a few years since the Wenger + Youth policy narrative has been pushed out massively; I think Woolwich have taken their finger off the pulse somewhat with development of youth.

The bigger question should be how important is our investment in youth to us? For me, the identity of a team, and squad, relies much on it the composition of younger players who have either come through the academy or purchased as young pro's and given time to flourish in the 1st team. In the last couple of years, since Poch arrived we do appear to have redeveloped 'an identity' which we as supporters can relate to.

Based on what I grew up on I either need to see Spurs playing in an all-out attacking manner with flair players and/or to have a core of young Spurs players in the team. I'm not convinced that we regularly see the former right now but we do have the latter in abundance which is pleasing.

Based on what I grew up on I either need to see Spurs playing in an all-out attacking manner with flair players and/or to have a core of young Spurs players in the team. I'm not convinced that we regularly see the former right now but we do have the latter in abundance which is pleasing.

agree fully with this part - I know we are not flowing but it pleasing to see Spurs players come through with the hope they all come good together

Regardless of what calculation they used this is at least some widespread recognition of the youth of our squad.

To be fair it is a few years since the Wenger + Youth policy narrative has been pushed out massively; I think Woolwich have taken their finger off the pulse somewhat with development of youth.

The bigger question should be how important is our investment in youth to us? For me, the identity of a team, and squad, relies much on it the composition of younger players who have either come through the academy or purchased as young pro's and given time to flourish in the 1st team. In the last couple of years, since Poch arrived we do appear to have redeveloped 'an identity' which we as supporters can relate to.

We now have better facilities and better youth coaching than Arsenal. We now tend to pick up most of the kids that have a straight choice between us, Arsenal and West Ham (as well as the Orients, Watfords, etc).

Ourselves and Chelsea have the best two academies in London. Nationwide you can also add Southampton, Aston Villa and Emirates Marketing Project into the mix.

There is nothing special about being the youngest squad. You need experience to achieve anything ! Ask Arsenal who have experienced this for the last 10 years or so.

Back