• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 4, EL or ECL

What would you prefer?

• Top 4

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Europa League

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Benny_Lad

Andy Sinton
I could not see a thread for this so feel free to remove/move if there is one.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot (increased since the Sheff U game).

Almost everyone talks about the top 4 as though it is some sort of holy grail, and yes, we did almost go all the way in 2019 and I get the clubs reliance on the funds the CL brings.

However - the more I think about it, the more I think that with our attitude towards domestic trophies what it is, we are saying that we are removing almost any chance of winning a trophy for any given season that we qualify for the top 4.

I’m starting to wonder if I wouldn’t genuinely rather finish 5th and have a good go at the EL. If we did happen to win that competition - it would represent the biggest achievement in the clubs past 30+ years. It’s certainly not to be sniffed at. I get the early fixtures are nowhere near as glamorous as the CL.

FWIW I can see us sliding behind Newc, Liv and Brighton at this rate and if you offered me 5th I’d bite your hand off. I can honestly see us ending up in the ECL.

So my question is, would you rather finish 4th? Or go straight into the EL. I’m ignoring the fact you can slide into the EL if you finish 3rd in your CL group.

I could not see a thread for this so feel free to remove/move if there is one.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot (increased since the Sheff U game).

Almost everyone talks about the top 4 as though it is some sort of holy grail, and yes, we did almost go all the way in 2019 and I get the clubs reliance on the funds the CL brings.

However - the more I think about it, the more I think that with our attitude towards domestic trophies what it is, we are saying that we are removing almost any chance of winning a trophy for any given season that we qualify for the top 4.

I’m starting to wonder if I wouldn’t genuinely rather finish 5th and have a good go at the EL. If we did happen to win that competition - it would represent the biggest achievement in the clubs past 30+ years. It’s certainly not to be sniffed at. I get the early fixtures are nowhere near as glamorous as the CL.

FWIW I can see us sliding behind Newc, Liv and Brighton at this rate and if you offered me 5th I’d bite your hand off. I can honestly see us ending up in the ECL.

So my question is, would you rather finish 4th? Or go straight into the EL. I’m ignoring the fact you can slide into the EL if you finish 3rd in your CL group.

Pool just beat united 7-0 so we wont be in the CL next season anyway.

However as usual we will go into next season with a poor squad especially at centre back, so when it comes to the EL last 16 and onwards we will rotate players and then get duly knocked out.

Watching this club is like watching a bad movie over and over again.

Pool just beat united 7-0 so we wont be in the CL next season anyway.

However as usual we will go into next season with a poor squad especially at centre back, so when it comes to the EL last 16 and onwards we will rotate players and then get duly knocked out.

Watching this club is like watching a bad movie over and over again.

I believe that Liverpool still only get 3 points for beating Utd 7-0, rather than bonus points for scoring more. 4th is still up in the air

Our transfer windows have been a lot better since Paratici arrived. Problem was there was a huge amount of work needed on the squad. If we can get a keeper and 2 CBs in the summer, the majority of the rebuild will have been done.

I believe that Liverpool still only get 3 points for beating Utd 7-0, rather than bonus points for scoring more. 4th is still up in the air

Our transfer windows have been a lot better since Paratici arrived. Problem was there was a huge amount of work needed on the squad. If we can get a keeper and 2 CBs in the summer, the majority of the rebuild will have been done.
Yeah but the season is done now because pool beat united, at home, again!!! The end of the world has just happened

we’re on the exact same amount of points as this time last season too

I fully agree on the transfers too

We are shocking away from home. We wont end above liverpool by just winning most of our home games and very rarely winning away.

But cling to hope if you must chaps :D

The aim should be to win every game we play and reach for the top, the CL over the EL every day of the week for me

I understand the argument for people seeing the EL as an easier route to a trophy BUT that would have a knock on to player recruitment and people would soon start moaning about league form and not getting the targets they expect the club to get

Ultimately you can't have it all ways, but for me, look forward and up, not hope to finish in the EL with hope of winning that IMO

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

It'd be nice to be the best of a bunch of competitors that enter a competition. That's evidently a controversial view on here but it has to take precedence. Taking part is lovely of course but maybe doing well is also important? Participation kudos lol.

Hearing the League cup referred to the Micky mouse club on here, if we disregard that it only makes it look longer since we've won a "proper competition". We're mocking ourselves at this point @Kandi1977 Well fudgein done lol. "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Top four" can suck my dingdong. If the quest for 4th genuinely resulted in us resting players which caused our loss in the FA club, fudge that attitude. As I've said many times we always mocked Arsenal for just finishing 4th as it it was a trophy, and we have posters stating that the only trophies that result in CL qualification mean something. clams.

We need to bang out as many concerts, boxing, you name it to make up the £££ shortfall of being in the EL next season.

So we can have a group circle jerk about how good the spreadsheets look? Who actually cares? "Oh well we're gash to watch but at least we have ample revenue streams" - Who has said that!?
We need to bang out as many concerts, boxing, you name it to make up the £££ shortfall of being in the EL next season.

"Well we're totally brick but at least we have numerous revenue streams, thank GHod"

Its a good question, but I say Top 4 so we get better players (in theory) and so can win a domestic cup. Revolutionary thought that, Spurs winning a cup...
It’s the daft vicious circle of modern football
You need modern
To buy better players
To win more games
To stay in the same position as last season
You throw the cup games because you need to shaw your last for “games that matter” to deliver that top 4 trophy

Poch created his first team in the EL, while he was weeding out the wasters from the league team. So i'll vote for more fun like Kane going in goal and Lamela rabonas. Europa for me

Back