• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Top 3 Movie soundtrack thread

I think its interesting how 2 of the greatest contemporary Hollywood film score composers - Clint Mansell and Jonny Greenwood - both came out of mid-80s indie bands from the West Midlands(ish)
Ish…
One was successful
The other wasn’t though
And that’s also reflected in their music

Based entirely on albums I actually own:

Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze Of Glory/Young Guns II
ACDC - Who Made Who (Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive)
Music from and inspired by Mission Impossible 2 (the one with Limp Bizkit and Metallica)

Based entirely on albums I actually own:

Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze Of Glory/Young Guns II
ACDC - Who Made Who (Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive)
Music from and inspired by Mission Impossible 2 (the one with Limp Bizkit and Metallica)
I love the MI movies, watched them soooo many times. But MI2 is far and away the worst one. As a movie that is, can't comment on the music.

The choice
Wouldn’t have been on my list
Nothing negative
Ah right no worries, just wasn’t sure if I’d missed something.

if you look at the track list then yea it’s probably a surprise choice, although In the City is an absolute belter! For me though, on soundtracks I’m not just rating it on the track list, but on how that music played throughout the film (in this case with the dj announcing many of the songs) and what the music / song adds to the moment you are viewing.

there’s plenty of others where the list of songs is great but I don’t really associate them with the film they are in, they are just standalone songs. If that makes sense?

Ah right no worries, just wasn’t sure if I’d missed something.

if you look at the track list then yea it’s probably a surprise choice, although In the City is an absolute belter! For me though, on soundtracks I’m not just rating it on the track list, but on how that music played throughout the film (in this case with the dj announcing many of the songs) and what the music / song adds to the moment you are viewing.

there’s plenty of others where the list of songs is great but I don’t really associate them with the film they are in, they are just standalone songs. If that makes sense?
Yeah of course
I love documentaries on films
One of the best was about Dirty Dancing and it focussed a lot on the songs as they were key, but also a BIG part of the budget. Without the sings it wouldn’t have been huge

another was Ghostbusters… the song was written for the film and for me growing up was a staple at kids discos even though it’s a brick song. It worked though

the 80s for me was a classic period of songs with films that made the film that much better

Blues Brothers

Amazing group of very talented musicians that made up the actual band, not many realise that.

Most of the films I'd have mentioned have been used already, but I'll add (for their score) Empire Strikes Back & Chariots of Fire - iconic for what they gave imo.

Yeah of course
I love documentaries on films
One of the best was about Dirty Dancing and it focussed a lot on the songs as they were key, but also a BIG part of the budget. Without the sings it wouldn’t have been huge

another was Ghostbusters… the song was written for the film and for me growing up was a staple at kids discos even though it’s a brick song. It worked though

the 80s for me was a classic period of songs with films that made the film that much better

Legally debatable - they had to pay the royalties to Huey Lewis and the News, as it was found to plagiarise I Want A New Drug

The Crow (94 Brandon Lee version)
Into The Wild
The Dark Knight

Honourable mentions for O Brother, Where Art Thou, Dead Man Walking and The Big Lebowski

Last edited:
Back