• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

He's a good squad option, as he can cover across the midfield, but I don't fancy him in the middle of the pitch compared to Dembele etc.

I don't get what's good about him. He's a decent passer, but he requires far too much support and cover around him to work. He can't play in the 2 central positions. He's way too weak for that. The only viable option form him is the #10 position, and we have a lot of far better options there.

He keeps the ball moving, always on the move into space and plays with his head up all the time. I have said before he reminds me a little of Modric and the way he plays is the same. Buts Stop! Hammer time.

I don't get what's good about him. He's a decent passer, but he requires far too much support and cover around him to work. He can't play in the 2 central positions. He's way too weak for that. The only viable option form him is the #10 position, and we have a lot of far better options there.

His technique, awareness, composure, willingness to move the ball forward, pleasantly coupled alongside the fact that he is an academy product with bags of enthusiasm might be a difficult thing "to get" I suppose.

Re the weak comment, indeed I do not forsee him winning challenges in the air against Yaya Toure just yet but he puts himself about and has bought in to the pressing game otherwise he wouldn't be getting as much time on the pitch as he does. As I said, away at DM with Mason - Big no no. At home against Watford alongside Dier, I see a very good pairing that will have a strong effect on the game. Would I have him over a fit and on form Dembele? Nope. But we can't be looking at the game like it's only about the first XI. Say what you want about him but we are where we are this season and he's been a part of that.

His technique, awareness, composure, willingness to move the ball forward, pleasantly coupled alongside the fact that he is an academy product with bags of enthusiasm might be a difficult thing "to get" I suppose.
If people don't want to see it they won't see it. Plus they discount the opinions of former players like Brad Friedel AND the selection of Poch who has shown that if he doesn't rate a player he won't play him.

All I see is some little guy moving about a bit, playing safe passes. No penetration. And at 24 I don't think he goes under the "talented" tag any more. Don't think he's improved very much, and I don't see that he has a much higher ceiling. Ok footballer, but not someone I'd miss if he were sold.

I think Carroll will cover Eriksen, Mason will cover Alli and Bentaleb will be sold, making way for a more like-for-like competition for Dier.

When Carroll has come off the bench lately, he's tended to be used in those wide positions that Eriksen and Lamela play in. So I think that's where Poch sees him.

I think Carroll will cover Eriksen, Mason will cover Alli and Bentaleb will be sold, making way for a more like-for-like competition for Dier.

When Carroll has come off the bench lately, he's tended to be used in those wide positions that Eriksen and Lamela play in. So I think that's where Poch sees him.
Actually, I see him carving out a niche as a utility player who can be subbed into several positions across the midfield to do a job -- keep a bit of possession through neat passing, perhaps calm the game down. Remember all those "Carrick, what does he do?" posts we used to have? Carroll isn't a Carrick, and certainly not a Modric, but I think he's a useful type of player to have around.

All I see is some little guy moving about a bit, playing safe passes. No penetration. And at 24 I don't think he goes under the "talented" tag any more. Don't think he's improved very much, and I don't see that he has a much higher ceiling. Ok footballer, but not someone I'd miss if he were sold.

I don't think that the passing maps on the previous page show him only playing safe passes.

I agree with the post above with regards to him becoming a bit of a utility player - a great option to have if we want to see a game out and keep hold of possession and I disagree with the poster saying he's not adventurous with his passing, I think he has good awareness and is often looking to pick players making runs in to the box - it's just of late I think he's been used at the end of games where we're perhaps being a little more conservative.

No key passes.....

I'll ignore you moving the goalposts away from your original assertion that he only played safe passes and assume that you accept that this isn't true.

How many key passes do you expect to see from the base of midfield? How many would you expect Dembele to make over a similar number of games?

I'll ignore you moving the goalposts away from your original assertion that he only played safe passes and assume that you accept that this isn't true.

How many key passes do you expect to see from the base of midfield? How many would you expect Dembele to make over a similar number of games?
I'd expect Dembele to make at least 1 or 2 key passes pr game, which he usually does, and he did 3 in that passing comparison in 1 game. Carroll had none in 3 games....

I'm sorry, but you are not gonna convince me Carroll is a great player. Only he himself can do that, but he'd have to up his game ten notches. I think he's pretty average. Period. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but nothing I've seen would suggest so. Don't think he's got it in him. He's 24 and should at least have started to show the signs, but I haven't seen it.

Actually, I see him carving out a niche as a utility player who can be subbed into several positions across the midfield to do a job -- keep a bit of possession through neat passing, perhaps calm the game down. Remember all those "Carrick, what does he do?" posts we used to have? Carroll isn't a Carrick, and certainly not a Modric, but I think he's a useful type of player to have around.

Good point, I could live with this scenario. I think it's great for the club if we have youth products filling squad roles (not to mention the star-player role being filled by Harry!)

I'd expect Dembele to make at least 1 or 2 key passes pr game, which he usually does, and he did 3 in that passing comparison in 1 game. Carroll had none in 3 games....

Dembele has had three in his last three games, Carroll has two in the three games on the previous page.

Dembele_v_Bmouth.png

Dembele_v_Villa.png

Dembele_v_Goons.png

I'm sorry, but you are not gonna convince me Carroll is a great player. Only he himself can do that, but he'd have to up his game ten notches. I think he's pretty average. Period. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but nothing I've seen would suggest so. Don't think he's got it in him. He's 24 and should at least have started to show the signs, but I haven't seen it.

Who said he was a great player? I think that most speaking up for him are saying that he is a useful squad player who can cover a number of positions.

That's 1 per game isn't it? Quite a bit better than 0 in 3 ain't it?

Less than you said and Carroll has two key passes in the three games on the previous page. A very small sample size but not a significant difference in their stats. Carroll's passes look to be more attacking in the games we are comparing too.

And I say that I don't think he can cover a number of positions. Too brittle in central midfield imo. He'd be ok in the #10, but we have many better options there. I don't think he's creative enough. He's fine when we have a comfy lead, and he can pass it around, but otherwise... meh... I'm done.

Back