• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Today at the lane

Absolutely terrible atmosphere. Songs-wise it was a fail. Norwich fans ran rings around us for the whole game :frown:

Was a poisonous atmosphere inside the Lane.... not good.

I think the team set the tone with the lazy way we started. I know people will say the fans should lift the team but they didnt deserve it today. Easy for the Norwich fans as they have nothing to play for and their players put on a committed, professional display.

That was the worst atmosphere I can recall there being at the ground from start to finish. The abject performance by the team didn't help but normally Park Lane can be relied upon to silence the away fans, however today there wasn't much singing and I even spent most of the match sitting down which is unusual for Park Lane ime.

I'm guessing a lot of the regulars weren't there today judging by ready availability of seats on the Ticket Exchange over recent weeks plus the number of couples and youngsters in South Lower.

Last edited:
Because when they went a goal up people truly realised that we've fudged it.....completely self imploded. No luck, no form no chance.

Doesn't inspire singing usually.

It did feel like deja vu after Norwich scored, rather like after we conceded against ManU last month and everyone in the ground just knew that our miserable run was going to continue.

I was slightly surprised how flat the atmosphere was even after Defoe equalised though, the fact that the team failed to go on and really dominate proceedings probably didn't help.

Sounded dreadful on tv. Why aren't we able to lift the team in those situations? Even though we went a goal down I think most people would have expected us to level things, which we did.

Are we within our rights to expect the players to believe if we clearly don't?

The players have 50-70 thousand reasons to believe, going into their bank accounts....every week.

Some of them are nothing short of a disgrace at the moment.

It did feel like deja vu after Norwich scored, rather like after we conceded against ManU last month and everyone in the ground just knew that our miserable run was going to continue.

I was slightly surprised how flat the atmosphere was even after Defoe equalised though, the fact that the team failed to go on and really dominate proceedings probably didn't help.

There's the key... we EXPECTED to go on and win after we equalised... a case of 'yeah yeah, 1-1 now w'ell go on and win it' THAT directly affects the nature of the celebration, if it was the 90th minute (a la Stoke) and the equaliser goes in, the roar is tangible, 'cos it's tinged with relief... THIS was saturated with indifferent arrogance that we'd simply go on and get 2 or three more... I think Harry's repeated mantra of 'I didn;t see that coming/could only see us winning' has finally rubbed off on both the fans AND the players.
Shame, the New Year had so much promise... fudge it. As much as I tell myself 'it's only football' this moment in the season still fudging hurts.

The players have 50-70 thousand reasons to believe, going into their bank accounts....every week.

This argument never really persuades me... just because they earn ridiculous amounts of money, I don't see why they shouldn't be subject to normal human psychology or emotion. Look at the negativity and misery on this board at the moment; of course the players are going to be feeling the same thing. And when you're playing in front of 30,000 people who are moaning and abusing and jumping on every poor pass or touch, of course you're to play with less confidence.

Of course I do understand why fans get frustrated and despondent, but we should also remember that we do have the ability to have a genuine effect on results through our support at games, and if we love the club as much as we say we do, then maybe we also have a responsibility to stay positive and not give up when things get tough.

This argument never really persuades me... just because they earn ridiculous amounts of money, I don't see why they shouldn't be subject to normal human psychology or emotion. Look at the negativity and misery on this board at the moment; of course the players are going to be feeling the same thing. And when you're playing in front of 30,000 people who are moaning and abusing and jumping on every poor pass or touch, of course you're to play with less confidence.

Of course I do understand why fans get frustrated and despondent, but we should also remember that we do have the ability to have a genuine effect on results through our support at games, and if we love the club as much as we say we do, then maybe we also have a responsibility to stay positive and not give up when things get tough.

They are motivated enough in the summer to demand big money moves, so they should be motivated enough on the pitch to simply trap a ball, and pass it to a team mates foot.

Wow!! So it's the players fault? The manager is blameless, even though he stated in his interview the formation was wide open to the counter and he didn't like it?

OK then!

think the crowd were just stunned at how bad we were. hard to underestimate how comfortably norwich won. could easily have had 5 or 6.

Just to clear anything up for anyone who thinks I think Redknapp is blameless, this is what I wrote in another thread:

Harry has made some terrible decisions which have derailed us massively. The players have also contributed.

Now, back on topic.

OK....I can agree with that.

So he goes at the end of the season if we don't get CL for me.

A player is brick, we move them on.

Same with the manager. 4 years on and we aren't a better team.

If we have some money to spend in the summer, and by all accounts we will, I would rather get a new man in and give them the chance to make signings than we start next season a bit wobbly and then fudge him off.

Then it's the whole season as a transitional one and the kitty is dry.

They are motivated enough in the summer to demand big money moves, so they should be motivated enough on the pitch to simply trap a ball, and pass it to a team mates foot.

Hmmmm, not really sure what to say to that. Poor touches or passes are more likely to be down to confidence than motivation. Do people think that our players suddenly don't care about winning football games? I think it's fair to argue that some of the players are being mentally weak, but in that case the thing that will turn things around is giving them support, not the opposite. You may think the players don't deserve it, but what about giving us the best run of games we've seen in ages during the first half of the season? And some of the best football and the best form that I've ever seen as a fan? Do they not deserve our support now that they're going through a lull in results and confidence? And regardless of what they deserve, do you not think that the fans, who are supposed to be the foundation of the club, have a part to play in trying to turn the momentum around?

The crowd aren't stupid. We are all fully aware of our stuttering form, and with last season's breakdown in mind, you can see why the fans are edgey. And it transmits to the players unfortunately. If only we had a big team to play at home which would galvanize the crowd. I think that if we can beat Chelsea, it will give the players and the fans a massive lift and could actually get our league form back on track.

Back