• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It was 15-25 year olds who don't watch matches at the ground - the discussion was the potential decline of match going fans due to more games being on TV and the 15 -25 year olds more likely to watch there than at the game. This is the opposite point to what you said it was saying.

It's both. It's a generation that only accesses football through clips and computer games

The discussion on televised games was in relation to lower league - Luton's poor attendance last night because our game was on. Though in truth CL tv audiences are falling dramatically too.

It's both. It's a generation that only accesses football through clips and computer games

The discussion on televised games was in relation to lower league - Luton's poor attendance last night because our game was on. Though in truth CL tv audiences are falling dramatically too.
They were not talking about generations watching clips and computer games on 5 Live - the discussion was about people watching games on TV rather than at the lower league grounds, not they don't watch full matches.

They were talking about 15-25 year olds watching matches on TV instead of going to lower league grounds- you cant use that as evidence that less 15-25 yr olds are watching matches on TV.

I wouldn't be so sure. Viewer figures (of full games, rather than tricks and goals youtube clips) are dropping.

There's a massive PR spin going on, but the EPL is actually in trouble about this. It's really significant that no new players have come anywhere near it, while Sky and BT have formed a cartel.

But I agree with BoL - it is good news for us, and bad for badly run clubs.
I don't know how good news this is for us. If the money doped clubs get £20 million per year less from a new TV deal, it's not even going to register for them. But it could mean one more solid player on good wages for us. At the other end of the spectrum, smaller clubs getting the same or more money will not make a difference to us as we are not competing with them anymore for signings, etc. So overall I do not fully subscribe to the argument that a worse TV deal is better for us.

Reactions: DTA
I don't know how good news this is for us. If the money doped clubs get £20 million per year less from a new TV deal, it's not even going to register for them. But it could mean one more solid player on good wages for us. At the other end of the spectrum, smaller clubs getting the same or more money will not make a difference to us as we are not competing with them anymore for signings, etc. So overall I do not fully subscribe to the argument that a worse TV deal is better for us.

They've been offering higher and higher wages as a percentage of their revenue in the anticipation that the money coming in will continue to increase. You have a club like us that has pretty stringently ran a wage structure which enables us to be sustainable. And you have someone like Wenger who has ran Arsenal on the idea that the money won't keep getting higher and at some point there will be a correction. If those clubs that have been offering higher and higher wages on the anticipation of continually increasing TV money (and if they have owners that have bought in at valuations that were high because of the anticipated profile and revenue of said TV money) then if that falls or stagnates, those clubs will have to correct themselves. It may not be massively noticeable immediately, and it is definitely a long term thing, but in the grand scheme of things long term predictable revenue is more important to clubs than one season meaning they can afford one more or one less player.

It will help ourselves and Arsenal if City and United ever have to correct. And I'd argue we are already seeing it with Chelsea - they seem to be doing what they can to build a long term strategy in place of their previous spend at all costs one. It may mean Chelsea take a short term hit but long term they would be able to weather any storms created by a reduction in either TV money or interest from Abramovic. Liverpool too are living pretty well within their means. It's not like United especially won't always have more commercial revenue than us (although we can close that gap), it's that if they have over extended themselves based on anticipated future earnings, they will need to correct slightly. The bubble bursting slightly will benefit the clubs that have decided to sacrifice short term success for long term stability when these macro shifts occur.

I have no doubt we would have maybe had a couple more CL campaigns over the last ten years if Levy had decided to spend more than his golden rules allowed at certain points, but equally I think we also would have had a couple more Chelsea finishing 10th disaster type seasons thrown into the mix, and I certainly don't think we would have the platform to succeed that we have now.

Gosh, golly, I can't say enough good things about the man for whom this thread is named. He's been nothing but an absolute pleasure to watch in a Spurs shirt.

So, if I'm reading all the contract bumpf correctly, Toby can basically walk out of Spurs after 2020 for free or Spurs can sell him between now and the commencement of his extension in June, 2019, about 16 months from now for somewhere in the fair market range of about 30 million quid.

If we were looking at a younger player, now would be the critical moment to sign him to a lucrative longer term deal. But we're talking about a player - as fine as he has been - prone to some bad ass muscular/soft tissue injuries who will be 29 if we sell him or 30 when he walks for free.

I'm not throwing good money after bad bones. If we can keep him, that would be great. He'll never have a defence partner as totally in sync with him as Jan Vertonghen. And he'll never look as effective for breaking that partnership. I bet he knows that.

But if this player - or this player's agent - thinks he can put the club over a barrel in these contract talks, he's sadly mistaken. Spurs hold all the cards over the next 28 months. Toby will never net a huge deal if Spurs force him to honour that contract and force him to stay until he's 30. No one will throw huge coin at an injury prone defender over 30.

By all means, work hard and fair to give him a good offer and keep this great central defence partnership going. No other club will stand to gain as much from a healthy, motivated and happy Alderweireld.

Gosh, golly, I can't say enough good things about the man for whom this thread is named. He's been nothing but an absolute pleasure to watch in a Spurs shirt.

So, if I'm reading all the contract bumpf correctly, Toby can basically walk out of Spurs after 2020 for free or Spurs can sell him between now and the commencement of his extension in June, 2019, about 16 months from now for somewhere in the fair market range of about 30 million quid.

If we were looking at a younger player, now would be the critical moment to sign him to a lucrative longer term deal. But we're talking about a player - as fine as he has been - prone to some bad ass muscular/soft tissue injuries who will be 29 if we sell him or 30 when he walks for free.

I'm not throwing good money after bad bones. If we can keep him, that would be great. He'll never have a defence partner as totally in sync with him as Jan Vertonghen. And he'll never look as effective for breaking that partnership. I bet he knows that.

But if this player - or this player's agent - thinks he can put the club over a barrel in these contract talks, he's sadly mistaken. Spurs hold all the cards over the next 28 months. Toby will never net a huge deal if Spurs force him to honour that contract and force him to stay until he's 30. No one will throw huge coin at an injury prone defender over 30.

By all means, work hard and fair to give him a good offer and keep this great central defence partnership going. No other club will stand to gain as much from a healthy, motivated and happy Alderweireld.
£25M is not a lot of money these days even for an injury prone (is he?) defender, if it comes to the last year people will be lining up to pay that for one of the best defenders in the world and give him £200K for the privilege - IMO.

We have Foyth who looks like he will be the next coming of Alder.

But I would like to think that he would like to stay and there is some sort of resolution

£25M is not a lot of money these days even for an injury prone (is he?) defender, if it comes to the last year people will be lining up to pay that for one of the best defenders in the world and give him £200K for the privilege - IMO.

The £25m 'buy out' only kicks in if we take up the contract 1 year extension in summer 2018?
His current value is much higher than £25m. nearer £60 -70m IMHO.

I like the fella but we have stood by him and done well when he has been injured so a little loyalty on both sides wouldn't go a-miss! If the rumours regarding Lamela are true the same applies to him.

The £25m 'buy out' only kicks in if we take up the contract 1 year extension in summer 2018?
His current value is much higher than £25m. nearer £60 -70m IMHO.
Agreed, but we do not hold all the cards for the text 28 months only until next summer when it kicks in.

Agreed, but we do not hold all the cards for the text 28 months only until next summer when it kicks in.
No we will have to get him to sign before May 'ish - It's Toby's call.

From Spurs standpoint. he's 28 yo. with debatable injury record and IF he's got itchy feet (as Southampton & Atletico fans will testify) for a final pay day.

Levy will sell to Real or the like this summer IMHO

Ah okay I was going from the starting point that selling him in the summer was always undesirable, similar to Walker it will inevitably make us weaker.

Ah okay I was going from the starting point that selling him in the summer was always undesirable, similar to Walker it will inevitably make us weaker.

Will we be weaker than over past 3 months?
Toby is a great defender dont get me wrong, this new contract though has been a problem for both sides. These type of protracted nagotions will have a time limit and if he is looking for more money than the powers that be are prepared to pay then?
We will get him match fit then..........

I like the quote below also.

Also bear in mind the wise old sports management maxim: Better to move a player a year too soon than a year too late.

Will we be weaker than over past 3 months?
Toby is a great defender dont get me wrong, this new contract though has been a problem for both sides. These type of protracted nagotions will have a time limit and if he is looking for more money than the powers that be are prepared to pay then?
We will get him match fit then..........

I like the quote below also.
When Jan was injured and Wimmer came in we performed well but yes we would have been weaker in the longer term.

Can't believe people are ready to let him leave, he's the second best defender in the league (behind Jan). If we want titles then we need to keep him.

Back