• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Apparently a Belgian paper is saying Toby now wants to sign a new contract

There was something mentioned on Football London yesterday in their transfer news. Enough of an exciting headline about Toby to make me click on it. Then had to scroll through loads of dirge to find the item line, which was basically he now wants to stay if we can meet his demands - but didn't say what they were (now).
Just trying to find the post now, and found something else to say Utd don't want to pay £50M for defenders, and then another post to say negotiations have opened between us and Utd.
So who can tell!

Apparently a Belgian paper is saying Toby now wants to sign a new contract

Could be a ploy between him and Utd to drive his price down. Pretend he wants to renegotiate, waste time until the end of the transfer window where Spurs will be under pressure to sell for less than 50 mill because if he doesn't go this summer he will be able to go for 25 mill next summer

It's a bit of a ticking timebomb.

Could be a ploy between him and Utd to drive his price down. Pretend he wants to renegotiate, waste time until the end of the transfer window where Spurs will be under pressure to sell for less than 50 mill because if he doesn't go this summer he will be able to go for 25 mill next summer

It's a bit of a ticking timebomb.

But United need him now
Another season with us and his value would be £25m If he isn’t playing

But United need him now
Another season with us and his value would be £25m If he isn’t playing

That's why it would make more sense for United to wait till very late in the window to buy him for let's say 35 mill instead of 50-60 mill now. Levy will be forced to accept less than he wants later in the summer because he knows if Toby isn't sold in this window then his value is 25 mill

Toby will probably benefit financially from whatever Utd save on his transfer fee. Win win for him and Utd.

If we didn't want to be bent over (won't happen anyway)... there's no point excepting £35m when we can get £25m in a year.

I get the impression that Toby would still play to the best of his abilities if he had to stay for another year. (Shop window as well) It would suit us as well, with Sanchez and Foyth still being young. Plus we'd save £5m in wages by continuing to pay him circa £60k a week.

He can then go for the £25m which will help him get a good contract.

If he wants to sign a good deal with us then I'm all for that as well.

Think Toby has slipped too far down many supporters ability guage in all honesty. He is a very very good defender.

That's why it would make more sense for United to wait till very late in the window to buy him for let's say 35 mill instead of 50-60 mill now. Levy will be forced to accept less than he wants later in the summer because he knows if Toby isn't sold in this window then his value is 25 mill

Toby will probably benefit financially from whatever Utd save on his transfer fee. Win win for him and Utd.

Levy just won’t sell him then

We will put a timeline on it I’m sure

Teams then have to decide do they all want to battle for him next summer when they could be in a very different place as a club

Sounds like flimflam to me.

I don't know Poch was publicly very convinced the deal had been sorted. There was the 'we've got this' press conference. Then Van Dyke got sold a few days later and everything with Alder has been brick ever since

I don't know Poch was publicly very convinced the deal had been sorted. There was the 'we've got this' press conference. Then Van Dyke got sold a few days later and everything with Alder has been brick ever since

Sorry, I missed the "we've got this press conference" who said this and in what context?

He didn't with Bentaleb, Townsend, Walker and arguably Rose
It’s hard to know if Poch has the same view with Toby.

Bentaleb - (iirc) didn’t want to knuckle down in training; maybe thought he was better than he was and thought he deserved an automatic start;
Townsend - public spat with a member of Poch’s staff, seen as lack of respect and lack of acceptance of managerial decision? No idea what happened behind the scenes and I did at the time think Poch was harsh in the case of Townsend. (Not that he was ultimately good enough for a Poch team, but I still felt sorry for him).
Walker- wanted to leave Spurs. I don’t think that in itself was the problem. It was telling Poch his ‘heart wasn’t in it’ any more, before the season had ended. If he had said he wanted to move but would still give everything for the team until that happened then his ending might have been a bit different.
Rose - not sure that he hasn’t been forgiven as he was still featuring, albeit not as first choice.

As for Toby, I don’t think he fits any of the above scenarios. There is no indication that he wanted to leave. Certainly no indication that he wasn’t giving all in training (once fit). But...Poch did imply that all was good in negotiations with Toby, and then something obviously went pear shaped. I’m not convinced the only reason Toby didn’t play more was due to lack of fitness, I think Poch was freezing him out a bit. However If there is still a possibility that negotiations can be resurrected to a mutually agreeable outcome then I’d hope Poch could accept that - as long as Toby hasn’t shown any direct disloyalty or lack of desire.

Spot on!
Age and fitness are the only criteria for any player.
If he Toby or any player show a lack of commitment to club. They will be sold.

Sorry, I missed the "we've got this press conference" who said this and in what context?

Well, see page 72 of this thread (Post 1439)
Not Poch, but still indicating a change of wind since then.

I do remember a January conference where Poch was very reassuring saying we should trust Levy and that it's all in hand.

Last edited:
Toby, and indeed Dembele, signing for a couple of extra years would be brilliant. We won't buy two players as good and it will give Foyth, Winks, Onomah, etc a bit more time to develop.

Last edited:
Well, see page 72 of this thread (Post 1439)
Not Poch, but still indicating a change of wind since then.

I do remember a January conference where Poch was very reassuring saying we should trust Levy and that it's all in hand.

I remember that but it is quite different to what GB was saying and then he has extrapolated from that point.

I’ve never been convinced Toby is 100% gone because it’s an incredibly complex situation. Sure, I think we’d accept a good offer and Toby would happily take 180k if he could get it, but I’ve not been convinced there are clubs they will so willingly pay what we would ask for to make it worth our while to sell him this summer, and pay him drastically more than he could get with us. Because of the clause next summer, we are incentivised to wait until then to sell him unless someone pays over the odds this year (no point selling for 35M when we can get 25M next year and another season out of him) and then Toby and his agent risk him spending another season on 50k a week. At which point, next summer, there really is no telling who is going to pay him notably more than the 130k he was supposedly offered. At which point, it’s not the worst move to stay with us and sign again.

I don’t think Poch ever ‘fell out’ with Toby in the same way as Walker. Toby’s agent is just doing his job to try and get him a bigger contract if he can. And if he’s doing that, Poch is going to play someone who is more committed for the long term. I don’t think there’s hard feelings, it’s just business. And if Toby said he wanted to stay here and accept what we offered, I’m sure Poch would have him.

The crux of it comes down to whether or not there is going to be a club that offers us enough money to make us sell up this summer vs next, and to offer him notably more money than we would offer in our new structure to make it worthwhile to make the move. His options are seemingly United or Juventus. I don’t see that Juve really pay enough in fees or wages for defenders. And United have the complication of being in our League - and I don’t think they pay defenders that well anyway.

I really would not be surprised if he stayed. Have said it all along. Unless we really need to sell him to fund our own business, I feel like there’s a good chance we keep him in.

Some bloke on teletext, Ben Fairthorne, says Toby discussions now at an advanced stage, 50 mill plus add ons, Martial not part of any deal

Why sell to them of they don't want to include Martial. Just plain stupid

Back