• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I'll reiterate what I said in a previous post, we are going to have to give Kane for example a pay rise sooner or later, sooner rather than later judging by what Steff has said. This will more than likely trigger a chain reaction amongst our best 4/5 players who want a similar pay increase. It's inevitable if we want to keep our elite players.

Absolutely, I completely agree with that. We are clearly going to give rises to our key players this summer and probably increase the scale right across the squad for the players that have earned it.

But the proportion and scale is the important thing. Eg Kane can justifiably say he wants to earn the most. Eriksen might say he wants second most. But someone like Dele be happy with doubling his money, but not if it means he’s earning half as much as Eriksen (in this hypothetical scenario).

It’s about relative status compared to the rest of the squad. I’m sure in purely financial terms we can afford to pay Toby 180k. Do we want to give him as much as we would want to give Eriksen, hypothetically? These tiers are important and if we think Toby is roughly at the 130k mark, I don’t think we will go drastically higher, because we just don’t need to.

He’ll either take it or he’ll find a club that gives him a long contract at the level he wants. But that other club needs to pay us enough money to make it worth our while to sell him this summer rather than next (so it needs to be far enough beyond 25M). Or he can choose to stay another year on 50k. Or he can sign a new deal with us, knowing the staff, the club, the system, more than double his money and be happy with it. For him to get 180k it means a club needs to stump up the money to invest in him to that extent at a fee that suits us. There is a chance he stays and takes 130k, it’s just a game of poker to see where all of these cards land. And Levy’s hand is very strong. He doesn’t need to be pushed in any way on this.

Anyone else heard the rumour that £130K/w was agreed and ready to sign, and then the van Dijk transfer happened. Toby decided he wanted parity.

It’s about relative status compared to the rest of the squad. I’m sure in purely financial terms we can afford to pay Toby 180k. Do we want to give him as much as we would want to give Eriksen, hypothetically? These tiers are important and if we think Toby is roughly at the 130k mark, I don’t think we will go drastically higher, because we just don’t need to.

He’ll either take it or he’ll find a club that gives him a long contract at the level he wants. But that other club needs to pay us enough money to make it worth our while to sell him this summer rather than next (so it needs to be far enough beyond 25M). Or he can choose to stay another year on 50k. Or he can sign a new deal with us, knowing the staff, the club, the system, more than double his money and be happy with it. For him to get 180k it means a club needs to stump up the money to invest in him to that extent at a fee that suits us. There is a chance he stays and takes 130k, it’s just a game of poker to see where all of these cards land. And Levy’s hand is very strong. He doesn’t need to be pushed in any way on this.

We know the club has a tier model, I have no problem with Toby being in Tier 1 -> Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan

I agree its a game of poker, Toby can wait to see if he has an offer like the PSG rumor of $200K, see what the delta is and decide if he wants to leave his settled position/life for the money/opportunity.

I think the risk is on Toby, if he doesn't like the alternative offers on the table in two months from now and decides to stay at Spurs, he loses a lot of leverage (probably more on length of contract based on his age). The way the club seemingly has responded to him and Walker is a strong message, we will not be held hostage and we will not wait to see if we are second choice, either you want to stay or you want to go.

Might explain why he played like van dijk in those cup games.
581370f219e879ffc3ec87dc5c131a36-e1482252070432.jpg

We know the club has a tier model, I have no problem with Toby being in Tier 1 -> Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan

If you look at the importance for the whole club, which I guess is the way Levy has to look at it, I wouldn't consider Toby (or Jan) as Tier 1 player, mainly due to their age. For only Kane, Eriksen and Dele should be considered as Tier 1 player.

Anyone else heard the rumour that £130K/w was agreed and ready to sign, and then the van Dijk transfer happened. Toby decided he wanted parity.

Heard that a while back, thought it had been mentioned here before? but yeah supposedly Poch and Levy agreed to his wage increase, 'shook on it' with the player only for his agent to come back and say he wants another X amount more - which supposedly tinkled Poch off.

Would be interesting to know if it tied up date wise with Poch saying don't worry Levy's got this.
28th Dec, van Dijk's wages revealed.
31st Dec, Poch says 'stay calm and put their trust in the chairman, Daniel Levy' - so it's feasible Alderweireld hadn't gone back to Levy by then.

Heard that a while back, thought it had been mentioned here before? but yeah supposedly Poch and Levy agreed to his wage increase, 'shook on it' with the player only for his agent to come back and say he wants another X amount more - which supposedly tinkled Poch off.

Can see why it would annoy Poch but if you don't ask, you don't get. I'm sure it's not the first time a player has done that. And as another poster said, would be hypocritical if this approach annoyed Levy, didn't he do the same thing just before we signed Lloris i.e. moved the goalposts and gave Lyon a low-ball offer? Could have sworn it was during the AVB years but might have been a different player.

Can see why it would annoy Poch but if you don't ask, you don't get. I'm sure it's not the first time a player has done that. And as another poster said, would be hypocritical if this approach annoyed Levy, didn't he do the same thing just before we signed Lloris i.e. moved the goalposts and gave Lyon a low-ball offer? Could have sworn it was during the AVB years but might have been a different player.

Not sure what transfer negotiations between clubs has to do with a contract deal personally - but if you see it like that then Lyon were free to draw their line in negotiations at any point they saw fit, much like we are here

Im pretty sure we could find several examples beyond Lloris:D

Not sure what transfer negotiations between clubs has to do with a contract deal personally - but if you see it like that then Lyon were free to draw their line in negotiations at any point they saw fit, much like we are here
I guess moving the goalposts as a player when negotiating with a club youre are already allegedly committed to is different to trying to negotiate a transfer with another club....

Of course we are free to draw the line. But Levy can't take it personally if an agent or player tries to play him at his own game.

I guess moving the goalposts as a player when negotiating with a club youre are already allegedly committed to is different to trying to negotiate a transfer with another club....

If your point is at the most basic simple level of 'moving goal posts' then sure if you feel the need to have to find hypocrisy somewhere i guess there's enough to go on.

However a player already at the club negotiating, agreeing and giving his word that it will be signed only to then come back with higher demands isn't quite the same as two clubs who have no real relationship to one another negotiating a transfer.

Back