• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

What the Toby and walker that got spanked in the CL group stages last year?
I think he means the imaginary Toby & Walker that never make mistakes and are smiling holding the CL trophy while thinking about the Premier League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup medals they have already won.

I think he means the imaginary Toby & Walker that never make mistakes and are smiling holding the CL trophy while thinking about the Premier League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup medals they have already won.

Neither of them are perfect especially Walker but they are better players than Serge, Trippier and Sanchez. We’re being very biased and myopic if we think that we can let the likes of Walker and Toby go and Poch will still get the same out of inferior players.

What the Toby and walker that got spanked in the CL group stages last year?

As did Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Hugo and the rest.

But you can’t dispute that Walker is better than Trippier or Serge and Toby is better than Sanchez (albeit Sanchez has potential).

Neither of them are perfect especially Walker but they are better players than Serge, Trippier and Sanchez. We’re being very biased and myopic if we think that we can let the likes of Walker and Toby go and Poch will still get the same out of inferior players.
Good point, but we cannot compete with the wages being offered by certain clubs. I would prefer Walker to Trippier and would have loved a fit Toby for this game - and for the past three months. Until we get into the new stadium with the NFL money, vastly improved gate receipts, naming rights etc. we have to convince players that the best interests of their careers are served by being with us.

As did Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Hugo and the rest.

But you can’t dispute that Walker is better than Trippier or Serge and Toby is better than Sanchez (albeit Sanchez has potential).

I would debate walker vs trippier, I'll give you serge :), Toby is injured, so can't really see what we are meant to do there.

Posted in the Juve OMT that tonight highlights why we can’t afford to lose one of the few older, more experienced, trophy winning stars from the side. If he wants £150k a week then give it him as far as I’m concerned. All very well talking about systems and projects but you don’t win trophies without top players.

Good point, but we cannot compete with the wages being offered by certain clubs. I would prefer Walker to Trippier and would have loved a fit Toby for this game - and for the past three months. Until we get into the new stadium with the NFL money, vastly improved gate receipts, naming rights etc. we have to convince players that the best interests of their careers are served by being with us.

And that’s a fair point. I don’t want Levy bankrupting the club if we genuinely can’t afford it. It would be wrong to do that.

But if we can’t pay our best players we have to accept that eventually they will leave and we’ll forever be in the shadow of the United’s and City’s of this world. The manager is a top, top manager but he isn’t a miracle worker so selling our best players will catch up with us and we got a glimpse of how tonight.

And that’s a fair point. I don’t want Levy bankrupting the club if we genuinely can’t afford it. It would be wrong to do that.

But if we can’t pay our best players we have to accept that eventually they will leave and we’ll forever be in the shadow of the United’s and City’s of this world. The manager is a top, top manager but he isn’t a miracle worker so selling our best players will catch up with us and we got a glimpse of how tonight.
That is the position we're in. And might always be in unless Lewis & Levy sell us to some blood-and-oil-soaked country who can open their bottomless wallets. We might still win the FA Cup this year and finish 4th, and then the anti-Spurs phalanx will deride the FA Cup win...

I would debate walker vs trippier, I'll give you serge :), Toby is injured, so can't really see what we are meant to do there.

There is no debating Walker and Trippier in my view. Walker is a much better defender although he’s never a million miles from a brain fart.

The point with Toby is this. Sanchez was great tonight but he’s been poor in a few games because he’s young and inconsistent. If he’s Toby’s replacement, for 2-3 seasons he’ll cost us more goals and points than Toby. Tonight illustrated how and why. To remain competitive, we can’t sell our best players and say “we’ll Poch will sort it with his system”. If we can afford to pay the players, we should pay them. If we can’t, we have to accept we’re probably at as high a level as we’ll ever reach.

There is no debating Walker and Trippier in my view. Walker is a much better defender although he’s never a million miles from a brain fart.

The point with Toby is this. Sanchez was great tonight but he’s been poor in a few games because he’s young and inconsistent. If he’s Toby’s replacement, for 2-3 seasons he’ll cost us more goals and points than Toby. Tonight illustrated how and why. To remain competitive, we can’t sell our best players and say “we’ll Poch will sort it with his system”. If we can afford to pay the players, we should pay them. If we can’t, we have to accept we’re probably at as high a level as we’ll ever reach.
I think we've done pretty well considering how long Toby has been out and how many times we've had to chop and change our defensive personnel.

I think we've done pretty well considering how long Toby has been out and how many times we've had to chop and change our defensive personnel.

We absolutely have. And we’ll get away with it against most PL teams because Trippier and Sanchez are very good players more than capable of standing out against the Evertons and Huddersfields of this world. They may even be good enough against United and Arsenal particularly at home. But they’ll cost you when the pressure is really on.

Although I do think Sanchez will, in a few years, be a top player.

But we haven't sold Toby, and you only need to look at scurrious rumour posted tonight in the lamela thread about him not even being at the ground to see how notice to take in press talk.

But we haven't sold Toby, and you only need to look at scurrious rumour posted tonight in the lamela thread about him not even being at the ground to see how notice to take in press talk.

Absolutely we haven’t. My point isn’t really about tonight. My point is that other people have said “if we sell him, we have Sanchez and Poch’s system will make sure we’re just as good.” Tonight illustrated why that won’t happen if we sell Toby.

My fear is that we keep selling our top players and fans think Poch will still keep us at the same level. Once the results turn, I’m fearful the fans will turn on Poch.

He’s a tremendous manager but if we sell our best players, including Toby, Poch can only do so much. His system will get the players playing better than the sum of its parts but if we lose our best players and that sum equals a lower number, our results will suffer.

Absolutely we haven’t. My point isn’t really about tonight. My point is that other people have said “if we sell him, we have Sanchez and Poch’s system will make sure we’re just as good.” Tonight illustrated why that won’t happen if we sell Toby.

My fear is that we keep selling our top players and fans think Poch will still keep us at the same level. Once the results turn, I’m fearful the fans will turn on Poch.

He’s a tremendous manager but if we sell our best players, including Toby, Poch can only do so much. His system will get the players playing better than the sum of its parts but if we lose our best players and that sum equals a lower number, our results will suffer.
Some fans have already turned on Poch. Yes, Mr. @The Portugeezer, I'm referring to you, kind sir.

Thing is if it is 150k that' still below market value for one of the top 3-5 CBS in the prem. If we can' pay that then I have to agree that we may have to accept that we can't maintain the level we are at at least until we pay down some of the staduim

Back