• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

"Sky sources" have been wrong in the past. But in this case I hope they're not.

Some took an instant dislike to him, but I was more than happy to give Sherwood a chance when he took over. He certainly wasn't my first choice, but deep down I pretty much wrote off the season when AVB was sacked and I kind of assumed Sherwood was a caretaker manager in all but name (didn't everyone?). Sure, if he managed to finish top 2 or 3 and put in amazing performances and took a run at the Europa League... well, then I'd be happy to renew his contract (though I suspect some would have begrudged him even under those circumstances). But that dream was over quite a few weeks ago. So in my eyes he was always just the caretaker until Levy could reassess the situation in the summer. And to be honest, I can't get angry at a young inexperienced caretaker manager who suspects he's in over his head, is doing his best and is terrified he's going to feck up on the big stage and torpedo his career before it's even started.

The ideal situation? It should be announced tonight before the match that Sherwood will be returning to his role in Youth Development at the end of the season where he will also act as advisor to the new manager: (INSERT BIG NAME MANAGER HERE). What's more, (BIG NAME MANAGER) is sitting in the stands with Levy as he will be taking a little time out of his busy world cup preparation to assess the players he'll be inheriting.

This gives Sherwood a dignified exit, because as I say, I don't have anything against the guy. And he doesn't even have to go back to Youth Development, he can take over at Blackburn in the summer (they might stick with Bowyer for a bit longer, but I think they'll want to freshen things up after another mediocre season) or whatever. But it takes the pressure off him and makes it clear he's just steadying the ship. Meanwhile if the presence of (BIG NAME MANAGER) in the stands next to Levy doesn't motivate the players to perform well, then nothing will (and those who fail to respond can be shown the door).

Am I hoping for too much from tonight?

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree. I do think you are hoping for too much for tonight, though. ;)

i honestly think it would be the worst ever decision to get the southampton manager in!??!! the bloke cant speak a word of english to start with!

Re your points

- Yes, AVB is to blame, honestly he needed to fight more for it .. it wasn't an unrecoverable position.
- Not sure re Rodgers/Martinez/AVB, i.e. not sure we tried, they were all similar risk levels two years ago.
- Baldini is too early

The big issue with Sherwood come down to two things

- He was out of his league, his resume showed it, he shouldn't have gotten the job, he shouldn't have put himself forward, club shouldn't have hired him.
- His statements, his blaming the players, his sitting in the stands all the while trying to play off this arrogance just didn't work.

Managers get paid a lot of money to be accountable, fair or not, that's what TS signed up for, and like a lot of other things, it's what he seemed to fail to grasp.

Look, I agree with most of what you say there, but on the last line, honest question: Who has got more hate this season, and who got paid more, AVB or Sherwood?

I don't think it's even close on either question to be honest.

i honestly think it would be the worst ever decision to get the southampton manager in!??!! the bloke cant speak a word of english to start with!

He actually speaks it very well, just not to the press.

I initially liked AVB, but lets be clear, no manager post BMJ would have any doubts as to what Levy expects = CL football, they may be able to complain about complete cooperation re signings, but the goals are simple and immovable.

Re players, I actually think the one thing people have missed with Levy's policy is how attractive Spurs must be for a player looking to play at the biggest clubs, Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale have shown what a good season or two at Spurs can do for your career, a stumble with AVB/TS is not going to change that, come play in a top 5 PL club, get some European football and if you impress, the biggest clubs in world football await ..

I think Levy is massively wrong there though. He can say he wants CL football all he likes, but demanding it from the Manager as if they are one of his ad sales guys needing to hit target every month or they're out is counter productive.

No doubt we are a good showcase for relatively younger talent, particularly as we will likely be set up to get the best out of them. But at the same time for someone like Vertonghen now we can't look as attractive as we did a couple of years ago.

I would bet AVB gave up because of Levy's demands on him and lack of trust. If there were truly no other options out there, I would have expected Levy to just lay off a bit on the manager we actually do have and give it a chance to work rather than treating him with suspicion. If AVB was treated in that kind of manner he probably would have seen out the season to the end at which point it could have been reviewed, and will have done no worse than Sherwood and in my personal opinion would have done better.

If he then wanted to move on because he couldn't work alongside Levy's strategy and it was an amicable parting, it's better for all concerned. As it is we've acted like a club that's probably given the likes of Lloris, Verts, Paulinho and Sandro serious food for thought about whether they will want to remain here any longer.

I find it strange how you discount all available evidence and choose to construct these odd theories instead.

I find it strange how you discount all available evidence and choose to construct these odd theories instead.

Why is it in any way odd? He seems completely like what happened?

If there were no other options, back the manager and see if he can turn it around. Or...sack the manager and suddenly realise no-one is available, so we employ the YTS guy.

I have no sympathy for Levy with the 'to be fair to him, there was nobody else to take the job' line. In that case, he didn't need to sack the incumbent. We weren't bottom, we weren't anywhere near relegation trouble.

AVB wouldn't have given up if he thought the working environment was allowing him to succeed - he certainly wouldn't have given up due to a lack of confidence in his managerial ability.

Last edited:

rumours he punched a player in the dressing room after the liverpool game, that was the last straw for levy

Wow, is this actually happening? Do I need to stop off on the way home for a bottle of champagne?

Hopefully it will be a big release for the players and fans, and we'll see the effect on the pitch.

I would be happy for Freund (or Hoddle) to take over for the last 5 to try and drive us back ahead of United and into the EL.

I still wonder if the vacant Norwich job (Timmeh's first club) might have prompted this move today?

I sometimes wonder how we've managed to do as well as we have in the league in recent years considering Levy ****ing up every transfer window and managerial appointment. Did all these players just appear out of thin air?

Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason, there are so many variables in play that nobody can control. AVB didn't work out, fine, we move on. Sherwood takes charge temporarily and turns out to be clueless so he gets sacked eventually. Levy can only hire or fire based on the information available to him, which will include a lot more knowledge about these people than we are privy to, but a lot will depend on what they tell him of their plans in interviews and meetings. How can he be blamed for someone not doing on the training pitch what they've promised to do? If he had known that Sherwood would repeatedly make the same basic mistakes and talk ******** in the press, would he have put him in charge? Hell no.

I sometimes wonder how we've managed to do as well as we have in the league in recent years considering Levy ****ing up every transfer window and managerial appointment. Did all these players just appear out of thin air?

Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason, there are so many variables in play that nobody can control. AVB didn't work out, fine, we move on. Sherwood takes charge temporarily and turns out to be clueless so he gets sacked eventually. Levy can only hire or fire based on the information available to him, which will include a lot more knowledge about these people than we are privy to, but a lot will depend on what they tell him of their plans in an interview situation. How can he be blamed for someone not doing on the training pitch what they've promised to do?

On the whole his strategy has worked fairly well so far. Even with such a turn over of managers we've not been 'spinning our wheels' and we've consistently moved over the years from a mid table club to a top 6 club.

We've come to a stage now though were we are looking to move from a top 6 club to potentially a title challenging club. To do that we need to find the right manager and allow them the time and money to execute their plan that will get us there without spending the millions that City et al can. If Levy thinks LVG (or whoever) is the man for it, he needs to give him the time and the resource to do so.

My biggest problem with Levy is not that he keeps changing manager, it's that he will never allow any manager to build a team because he continually sells their best players.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised. The idea Levy would have given Sherwood the job for next season was always a very long-odds bet. To the point of it never really being a runner at all I don't think.

Sherwood has been treated badly here, no doubt about it. Does he deserve the humiliation of being a dead man walking for the last 6 games of the season? No. Even the worst charges against him - incompetence and intemperance - don't warrant that. He's being humiliated not because of anything he's done, but because circumstances demanded that matters came to a head now. It's political as much as anything.

Worst of all though, the extent to which he has been blamed for problems that were overwhelmingly down to Levy, AVB and Baldini has been revolting to watch.

- Above all, I blame AVB. He couldn't get it working on the pitch, and then he bottled it when it came time to fight for his job. So, so unbelievably pi$$ fukking poor.
- As for Levy, he's a great businessman who has been very good for Spurs, but we're talking about the guy who appointed Santini and Ramos, and who picked AVB above Martnez and Rodgers. Leaving himself with no option other than appointing Sherwood when the shinola hit the proverbial wasn't and isn't Sherwood's fault.
- And while the jury is still out on Baldini - I think he's an easy spacegoat, which is why that fukking useless arsewipe Jamie Redknapp is having a pop at him - he was there at the top table making big decisions long before Sherwood was appointed.

And yet, almost all the bile rains down on Sherwood. This hasn't been anyone's finest moment, but I wish the blame was more fairly spread around.

im sure if you look around you will see that the blame has been spread fairly. I dont see many accepting Levys continued wrong choice of manager, Baldini has been roundly criticised for most of our summer buys, and AVB has rightly been outed for the poor attacking football weve played since he took over which just got worse and worse this season. TS has solely been criticised for his team selections, the way the team lacks any shape, his sometimes embarrassing touchline behaviour, his public attacks on his players, basically he has been assessed just on the job he is doing. No one blamed him for appointing AVB, Ramos, Santini etc, no one accused him of signing expensive players who have failed to perform etc

Season ticket renewals me thinks.

Also why are so many people convinced LVG is coming. Somehow I don't think Spurs will be the highest profile job available across Europe this summer. Maybe not even in the PL. And if we have got him why not just announce it and be done now that Sherwood is confirmed as going.

Levy and co have facked up again with their managerial appointment and the blame is being deflected.

Sherwood hasn't helped himself. He needs to learn that a dignified silence is often your best bet especially in footy. He's got years ahead of him to answer his critics. However he shouldn't have been left out to dry like this.

I said at the time that if the AVB appointment doesn't work out Levy should follow him out the door. How many more car crash appointments will he deliver.

This summer he has to make the right decision or its mid table mediocrity here we come.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised. The idea Levy would have given Sherwood the job for next season was always a very long-odds bet. To the point of it never really being a runner at all I don't think.

Sherwood has been treated badly here, no doubt about it. Does he deserve the humiliation of being a dead man walking for the last 6 games of the season? No. Even the worst charges against him - incompetence and intemperance - don't warrant that. He's being humiliated not because of anything he's done, but because circumstances demanded that matters came to a head now. It's political as much as anything.

Worst of all though, the extent to which he has been blamed for problems that were overwhelmingly down to Levy, AVB and Baldini has been revolting to watch.

- Above all, I blame AVB. He couldn't get it working on the pitch, and then he bottled it when it came time to fight for his job. So, so unbelievably pi$$ fukking poor.
- As for Levy, he's a great businessman who has been very good for Spurs, but we're talking about the guy who appointed Santini and Ramos, and who picked AVB above Martnez and Rodgers. Leaving himself with no option other than appointing Sherwood when the shinola hit the proverbial wasn't and isn't Sherwood's fault.
- And while the jury is still out on Baldini - I think he's an easy spacegoat, which is why that fukking useless arsewipe Jamie Redknapp is having a pop at him - he was there at the top table making big decisions long before Sherwood was appointed.

And yet, almost all the bile rains down on Sherwood. This hasn't been anyone's finest moment, but I wish the blame was more fairly spread around.

Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jamie Redknapp wants director of football Franco Baldini and chairman Daniel Levy should both shoulder the blame for a torrid season at White Hart Lane amid reports Tim Sherwood will be sacked at the end of the campaign.

With Spurs eight points adrift of the top four ahead of the visit of Sunderland on Monday, reports have emerged the club will part ways with Sherwood just a third of the way into his 18-month contract in north London after nine defeats in his 22 matches in charge.

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal has been heavily linked with replacing Sherwood after the 2014 World Cup but Redknapp says that with none of the seven players signed last summer to replace Gareth Bale having made a sufficient impact for Tottenham this season, both Baldini and Levy should be held accountable.

"He [Sherwood] was put into a position that wasn't easy from the start," Redknapp told Sky Sports. "Some of players that were signed at the start of the season haven't been good enough as well.

"What tends to happen is the managers take the brunt of it. One person, the one who is sitting there who has brought the players Franco Baldini and Daniel Levy - they have to take some responsibility as well. Who has really come in and made an impact?

"If Sherwood does leave at the end of the season how can someone like a director of football like Franco Baldini still keep his job? I find that amazing. Young managers get the sack and the people who bring the players in don't take any responsibility. It's a route Daniel Levy took a few years ago and it didn't work, then they decided to change it."

Levy initially ditched the director of football model at Tottenham before reincorporating it during Andre Villas-Boas' reign in charge but with limited success, with the Portuguese boss sacked in December following the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool.

Though Van Gaal and Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino have been linked with a role, Redknapp says a complete change of structure at Tottenham may be required.

"It doesn't surprise me," he added. "I don't know how many managers he's [Levy] been through now in his time there but he does enjoy sacking managers and sometimes you got to look to the people close to you that aren't always the managers. Sometimes it's the setup.

"If you're going to have a director of football he's got to know what he's doing, he's got to bring in the right players but at the moment it's not really working. I think Daniel Levy enjoys buying the players too and I think that's a problem."

Also why are so many people convinced LVG is coming. Somehow I don't think Spurs will be the highest profile job available across Europe this summer. Maybe not even in the PL. And if we have got him why not just announce it and be done now that Sherwood is confirmed as going.

Levy and co have facked up again with their managerial appointment and the blame is being deflected.

Sherwood hasn't helped himself. He needs to learn that a dignified silence is often your best bet especially in footy. He's got years ahead of him to answer his critics. However he shouldn't have been left out to dry like this.

I said at the time that if the AVB appointment doesn't work out Levy should follow him out the door. How many more car crash appointments will he deliver.

This summer he has to make the right decision or its mid table mediocrity here we come.

Levy does his job, the team "competes" for European spots and he is running a successful business. Could he have done better = absolutely, could he have done worse = look around, odds are he actually should be doing worse.

Don't be a drama queen, our spending power keeps us out of mid table mediocrity, top 8 teams in the league are very close to locked at this stage.

Agreed this summer levy makes the right decision or he walks with the next managerial disaster

On the whole his strategy has worked fairly well so far. Even with such a turn over of managers we've not been 'spinning our wheels' and we've consistently moved over the years from a mid table club to a top 6 club.

We've come to a stage now though were we are looking to move from a top 6 club to potentially a title challenging club. To do that we need to find the right manager and allow them the time and money to execute their plan that will get us there without spending the millions that City et al can. If Levy thinks LVG (or whoever) is the man for it, he needs to give him the time and the resource to do so.

My biggest problem with Levy is not that he keeps changing manager, it's that he will never allow any manager to build a team because he continually sells their best players.

He never purposely set out to do it though. It's just where we stand as a club. There's a handful of bigger clubs with seemingly endless amounts of money available. Sometimes you just got to be pragmatic about it and sell. All the money recouped has been reinvested and we've remained at a fairly stable level. Just in case anyone disagrees: Suarez is not a valid example of how easy it is to say no and how everything will automatically work out perfectly.

Jamie Redknapp said:
It doesn't surprise me. I don't know how many managers he's [Levy] been through now in his time there but he does enjoy sacking managers and sometimes you got to look to the people close to you that aren't always the managers. Sometimes it's the setup.

If you're going to have a director of football he's got to know what he's doing, he's got to bring in the right players but at the moment it's not really working. I think Daniel Levy enjoys buying the players too and I think that's a problem.

The most knowledgeable man in football. We must all bow to his superior insight.

Back