• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Townsend gets injured and the praises start dripping from Sherwood who describes him as a match winner. Yeah Tim so much of a match winner that I cannot remember the last time he started a league game for us.

Knew this would come up. Yet had he come out and said, 'he's injured, but it doesn't matter he's not good enough to be going to the world cup anyway' he'd be getting hammered for having a go at our players in the press again.

It doesn't matter what he says anymore it is twisted in some shape or form into a criticism.

I just spat my coffee out when I read the word 'competent'.

I would have expected Ginola to be more critical of Timmeh's dark ages anti-football - as it's what he as a player fought so bravely to save us from.

To be honest, I think that you have to offer Levy 'some small' credit here; in deciding that Baldini should stay, he is absolutely trying hard to achieve some form of continuity, and if he doesn't sell many this summer, you would argue that he has absolutely stuck to the model he is trying to establish, the loose cannon being that he has to find the right coaches/manager!!!

This has been the one saving grace for me. The one sign that we didn't abandon the project.

My interpretation of January was that Baldini protected Capoue and Holtby, with a view to the next coach being more endeared to them. I similarly think he's responsible for hiding Lamela away for his own protection.

If Baldini has influence in the appointment of the new coach, the project is back on track. FDB is pretty similar to AVB in his footballing philosophy and approach, so there will be a lot of continuity in that - he'll easily be able to work with the players bought for AVB (and bought for a 4-3-3). The only harm that has been done is the psychological one of having their confidence knocked out of them by Timmeh's hairdryering.

This is simply NOT true. He was, as I've said before, in with a GENUINE shout of keeping the job until approx 6 weeks ago. And you have to wonder why. You have to wonder what shut that door?I am telling you, he WAS in with a GENUINE shout…I suspect his 'targets for the summer' didn't exactly jive with Baldini's either? To be honest, I think that you have to offer Levy 'some small' credit here; in deciding that Baldini should stay, he is absolutely trying hard to achieve some form of continuity, and if he doesn't sell many this summer, you would argue that he has absolutely stuck to the model he is trying to establish, the loose cannon being that he has to find the right coaches/manager!!!

I know some will find it egregious, but Sherwood has been as responsible for his departure as anyone. That people cannot ponder why a man with such a 'winning record' has aced himself so spectacularly out of the running should speak volumes. Why would we get shot of the next Fergie/whoever? Why? What could it be? It isn't just for the joy of sacking a 'successful and great' young manager is it.

Interesting.

I trust you Steff and now feel even more confident that Sherwood is gone.

Hoddle- much as I love this guy his disparaging comments about disabled people didn't stop us hiring him as manager.

Completely off topic here, but something about this always made me wonder. I disagree with what he said, as I hope most people would, but what he said is a belief of the Hindu religion, Karma reincarnation forms. So when the F.A. fired him, did they effectively say no Hindu can manage England? As surely that would be discrimination

Completely off topic here, but something about this always made me wonder. I disagree with what he said, as I hope most people would, but what he said is a belief of the Hindu religion, Karma reincarnation forms. So when the F.A. fired him, did they effectively say no Hindu can manage England? As surely that would be discrimination

That would be true if we lived in a world where things made sense.

However in the world we actually live in you can and will be treated negatively for having idiotic opinions. But if those idiotic opinions are religiously motivated then you're protected.

I just spat my coffee out when I read the word 'competent'.

I would have expected Ginola to be more critical of Timmeh's dark ages anti-football - as it's what he as a player fought so bravely to save us from.
What makes you say that Sherwood plays dark ages anti football? He does nothing of the sort. Sherwood's preferred tactic is a quick passing game, played by a team of technically gifted players, utilising a high number of attacking players.

I have managed to stay awake when attending games reasonably easily in the latter half of this season.... something that wasn't nearly as easy to do prior to that.

My interpretation of January was that Baldini protected Capoue and Holtby, with a view to the next coach being more endeared to them. I similarly think he's responsible for hiding Lamela away for his own protection.
Lamela has clearly been injured for christ sake!... Do you really think he would allow himself to be 'hid away' with an Argentinian World Cup squad to be selected for?!?

This is simply NOT true. He was, as I've said before, in with a GENUINE shout of keeping the job until approx 6 weeks ago. And you have to wonder why. You have to wonder what shut that door?I am telling you, he WAS in with a GENUINE shout…I suspect his 'targets for the summer' didn't exactly jive with Baldini's either? To be honest, I think that you have to offer Levy 'some small' credit here; in deciding that Baldini should stay, he is absolutely trying hard to achieve some form of continuity, and if he doesn't sell many this summer, you would argue that he has absolutely stuck to the model he is trying to establish, the loose cannon being that he has to find the right coaches/manager!!!

I know some will find it egregious, but Sherwood has been as responsible for his departure as anyone. That people cannot ponder why a man with such a 'winning record' has aced himself so spectacularly out of the running should speak volumes. Why would we get shot of the next Fergie/whoever? Why? What could it be? It isn't just for the joy of sacking a 'successful and great' young manager is it.

Definately, I feel Sherwood knows he's gone too, but that wasn't the case until recently. His press conferences and comments have stepped up a gear considerably in the last few weeks, plus he's started dressing differently, acting differently, and ironically, he's started picking the team in a more consistent, relaxed manner, and although its been against some poor teams, our recent run of has been very consistent as a result.

Its almost like he's relaxed a bit now because he knows its all over, but for me it is his gobbing off in the press, his unprofessional manner and probably the way he conducts himself behind the scenes that has led to this.

I can't honestly see us not sticking with him, with his points haul and the fact that he has come in, pretty much increased the goal output of the team by double, PLUS, pretty much bedded in two prospects from the academy and turned them from "will they won't they make its" to two of the best young prospects in the division. Infact, Bentaleb turned up on a Top 20 list of the best young prospects in European football done by Gazetta in Italy (He was no 20 BTW).

You just can't imagine with all that achievement in a short time, that Sherwood wouldn't have been given the rest of his 18 months if he'd worn a shirt & tie, given calm and measured press conferences and not seeminly gone so out of his way to turn the club in to a public circus.

The press clearly love Sherwood, he's mana from heaven for them, but its clear to me that Levy and the club don't love the fact that the press love Sherwood. Its just the Sherwood show at the moment, ME ME ME. Has been since the moment he took over.

You add in the fact that he is has largely divided the fan-base quite spectacularly and I'm pretty sure Levy didn't think twice in the end about his decision to get rid at the end of the season.

If Sherwood did come to him advocating selling half the squad and starting again after a £100m investment in the playing staff, then that has probably sealed the final nail in his coffin.

What makes you say that Sherwood plays dark ages anti football? He does nothing of the sort. Sherwood's preferred tactic is a quick passing game, played by a team of technically gifted players, utilising a high number of attacking players.

I have managed to stay awake when attending games reasonably easily in the latter half of this season.... something that wasn't nearly as easy to do prior to that.

Lamela has clearly been injured for christ sake!... Do you really think he would allow himself to be 'hid away' with an Argentinian World Cup squad to be selected for?!?

Lamela started Sherwood's first league game in charge away to Southampton then got injured. Even the doctors at Roma that treated him confirmed it was a bad back injury. His brother on twitter tweeted circa Jan/Feb time that we wouldn't see Lamela fit until late march best case scenario too, so I honestly don't get the conspiracy theories. Or rather I get why people think the way they do, but the evidence doesn't support it if you take more than a glance at it.

We will never know this for sure. However, I suspect you are correct. If any new coach had come in in December and got the results he has achieved (given the handicaps that have been endured, the bad luck, the injuries, several disenchanted players, the incredulous errors in defence, the lack of a pre- season, and having no fresh new players of his choice) I suspect most sensible people on here would have been delighted with the results that he has achieved on the pitch.

However, I tend to agree that he has effectively now ruled himself out of being considered a viable long term solution by his off-field antics, behavior and comments.

As someone said earlier, it would have been interesting to see what the board would have done in the summer if he had worn a suit, played a straight (boring) corporate bat and gave anodyne answers to all questions asked.

Knew this would come up. Yet had he come out and said, 'he's injured, but it doesn't matter he's not good enough to be going to the world cup anyway' he'd be getting hammered for having a go at our players in the press again.

It doesn't matter what he says anymore it is twisted in some shape or form into a criticism.

He could have just said something fairly neutral like " "it is a shame he is injured, he was just getting back to the form he was showing earlier in the year and he would have been a useful option in the last few games of the season".

Not tricky to not hammer a player or over egg the pudding.

He was sacked because Tony Blair appeared on a morning t.v. show and when asked about it he said Hoddle had to be sacked. What the hell it had to do with Blair I will never know.

If what he said was so bad it should have been down to the F.A. to consult their legal team and decide if what he said was enough for him to be sacked. What should have happened was some media training made available to him.

4-4-2. No gameplan. Not able to retain the ball. Don't press to get it back. Long balls to Ade. Goals from set-pieces and bits of individual brilliance - never synchronised or purposeful. We're a hit 'n' hope hotchpot, carried because we've got good players.

Lamela's personal trainer said the other day he's not injured. And he keeps posting videos of himself playing down the local park.

He could have just said something fairly neutral like " "it is a shame he is injured, he was just getting back to the form he was showing earlier in the year and he would have been a useful option in the last few games of the season".

Not tricky to not hammer a player or over egg the pudding.

He could have, but I still don't see why he should be criticised for what he did say.

4-4-2. No gameplan. Not able to retain the ball. Don't press to get it back. Long balls to Ade. Goals from set-pieces and bits of individual brilliance - never synchronised or purposeful. We're a hit 'n' hope hotchpot, carried because we've got good players.

Lamela's personal trainer said the other day he's not injured. And he keeps posting videos of himself playing down the local park.

That is total nonsense, no game plan? We arent even playing a traditional 4-4-2 either, oh and by the way dont city play with 2 strikers?? Must be more trendy for them to do it, and if Lamela aint injured then why isnt he training?? If not he must be on strike.

Just curious did you ever play football or any team sport at any level?

The faith healing probably did not help his case in terms of claiming to have a credible set of religious beliefs. It still rankles that comments from a politician who believes in transubstantiation contributed to Hod losing the England job.

We will never know this for sure. However, I suspect you are correct. If any new coach had come in in December and got the results he has achieved (given the handicaps that have been endured, the bad luck, the injuries, several disenchanted players, the incredulous errors in defence, the lack of a pre- season, and having no fresh new players of his choice) I suspect most sensible people on here would have been delighted with the results that he has achieved on the pitch.

However, I tend to agree that he has effectively now ruled himself out of being considered a viable long term solution by his off-field antics, behaviour and comments.

As someone said earlier, it would have been interesting to see what the board would have done in the summer if he had worn a suit, played a straight (boring) corporate bat and gave anodyne answers to all questions asked.

Then we would have fallen asleep during the post-match interviews, instead of, as was the case earlier in the season, the matches themselves...

He's played various different formations. You and I both know that. 4-4-2 isn't necessarily dark ages either.

No gameplan.
On multiple occasions lately he has explained what his game plan has been for various games. You can choose to disagree with his plan, but don't make out like he never ever has one.

Not able to retain the ball.
Admittedly we haven't been as good at this as we were under AVB. On the other hand we look much more threatening on the counter and are scoring more goals.

Don't press to get it back.
We're not very good at that, fair point. But we haven't been very good at that all season.

Long balls to Ade.
Providing this isn't our only plan (which it isn't) what is the problem with it?

Goals from set-pieces and bits of individual brilliance - never synchronised or purposeful.
So you're hammering a manager who picks said players every week for said players individual brilliance? You are criticising him for the way we score goals? Does it really ****ing matter how we score?? You'd rather see us not score unless it's 60 pass wonder move finished by a volley into the top corner?

Tell me this. How can a goal from a set piece in any way possible not be purposeful???

We're a hit 'n' hope hotchpot, carried because we've got good players.
We have good players and are in the position we are in because of the results we have obtained over the course of the season. The manager (be that AVB or TS) is accountable for these results. On the whole, the results under TS have been quite good.

There is a massive difference between not injured and not match fit. You can be both at the same time. I suspect you know that though.

I'll wade in and say that the problem with the long balls up to Ade is that often he's either marked by a couple of players or that no one is close by to work off of a potential knock down. Either way we turn over possession more often than not when the ball is chipped from the back.

But at least we pass the ball forward now - that wasn't the case for the most part earlier in the season. It is easy to retain huge amounts of possession against teams sitting back, if you hardly dare venture out of your own half.

Back