• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Temporary Tim

Tim Sherwood has wasted no time in getting stuck into the Tottenham players. That is according to Danny Rose, who revealed interim head coach Sherwood laid down the law at his very first training session.

Sherwood has written a new rule book the players must follow while he is in charge and has made it clear he will not stand for any nonsense.

The 44-year-old is hoping to be told he has got the Spurs job at a meeting with chairman Daniel Levy on Monday. Louis van Gaal has ruled out a job share, but suggested he would be interested in the post when his contract as Holland boss expires after the World Cup.

“People may think that Tim is not a big name or doesn’t have a big CV, but you know he will take no nonsense from anybody,” said Rose. “His first training session, a couple of lads rolled out on to the training pitch late and he got us in a circle and said it was unacceptable.

“Fortunately, it wasn’t me who was late. Tim set out some new rules and you know not to mess with him, and that’s good.”

Asked what Sherwood’s rules are, Rose replied: “Punctuality, when we go down to eat, team meetings. Stuff on the training pitch as well. When he speaks, you’ve got to listen. It’s great.”

Left-back Rose had problems with his own discipline early in his Tottenham career and the 23-year-old is grateful to Sherwood for helping him realise he needed to work harder.

“Tim came to the club and probably about four years ago I sat down with him and Harry Redknapp, and they told me I needed to train a lot harder to have a chance in the team,” said Rose.

“I didn’t get that many chances under Harry. But from when I did change my attitude on the training pitch, I won Tim over and from then he has always been pushing me to try to get into the team – along with others like Jake Livermore, Nabil Bentaleb and Andros Townsend as well.

“I never wanted to properly leave the club. I’ve been unhappy and I wanted more chances. But I’ve never wanted to leave. If I had wanted to leave, then I would have made sure I left.

“Tim and Harry helped me with my attitude to training. I went out on loan last season and did very well, and that was down to Martin O’Neill, and I came back and I started the season well and that was down to Andre (Villas-Boas). But Tim has been backing me and a lot of the other youngsters for a good three or four years.”

Despite his strict approach, Sherwood has brought controversial striker Emmanuel Adebayor in from the cold and has been rewarded with three goals in two games from the Togo international.

Things got so bad for Adebayor under previous head coach Andre Villas-Boas that he was sent to train with the reserves and forced to apologise to his team-mates for his behaviour from a raised platform.

“The fact he apologised shows you Ade wants to play for the club,” said Rose. “It goes without saying, he’s not short of money so he could have just sat and not done anything. But he apologised and that’s that. Whatever happened with the previous manager, it’s up to the manager.

“We had meetings about the situation. If a manager thinks something about someone, then we’ve all got to respect it. We might not agree with it, but we have to respect it.

“We are all just happy Ade’s back now. When he plays like he has in the last two games, you can see why he’s played for a lot of great clubs.

“Soldado and Defoe are great goalscorers, but Ade gives us another dimension. He can finish, hold the ball up and he wins defensive headers from set-pieces. He’s definitely like a new signing.”

Sherwood’s attacking approach has impressed Tottenham supporters who wanted more entertainment and Rose believes it will have gone down well with Levy and director of football Franco Baldini.

“It has showed the way he plans to go and it’s from upstairs as well,” said Rose. “Recently, we’ve not played the Tottenham way, attacking and counter-attacking, and it’s been hard with only one striker up front.

“Tim has said he doesn’t know if he’ll get the job, but that’s how Tottenham should be playing – like we did in the second half against Southampton – and that’s what we’re trying to do, play attacking football. At times we know we may concede, but we want to be scoring quite a few goals every game.

“I’d be over the moon if Tim gets the job as manager. Tim’s backed me for a good three or four years now and I know if I’m fully fit that I’ll play. And I know if I do things wrong, he’ll pull me to the side and tell me it’s unacceptable. I know if I want to work on something, he’ll take me on to the training pitch and work with me, just like he will with others.

“But, I have to be honest, I really don’t mind whoever the manager is. It doesn’t change how I approach training or games. I want to give 100 per cent for my team-mates and my club. It’s great I’ve got 90 minutes under my belt with Tim. We don’t know what’s going to happen, but nobody’s principles should change how they approach every day and game situations.”

The victory at Southampton meant Spurs are four points behind fourth-placed Everton with two home games to come against West Brom and Stoke.

“The top four is still the aim, we want to win as many games as possible,” said Rose. “We’ve got two home games now that we will be looking to win. You never know, Arsenal play Chelsea, somebody will slip up, Liverpool play City, so you never know.

“But the aim for this club is to finish in the top four. It was the aim under the previous manager, he wanted to win a trophy and finish in the top four, and it should be the same whoever comes in now or for Tim. Personally, I want to finish in the top four. The club flourished playing Champions League football and that’s the aim.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10535046/Tim-Sherwood-writes-new-rule-book-which-Tottenham-players-must-follow.html

Who cares what Sherwood sounds like or how he comes across in the press? Sometimes I think you guys care more about that kind of thing than results :lol:

Who cares what Sherwood sounds like or how he comes across in the press? Sometimes I think you guys care more about that kind of thing than results :lol:

It's all about perception. Tim doesn't make up big words so he's obviously simple and has no idea what he's on about. AVB sounds like he's just graduated from Harvard so he can destroy everyone lyrically and tactically.

Its about being an advocate for the club and representing the club in a good light. I imagine thats where most come from, either that or they just really hate him. Id hazard a guess at the latter. I dont care, I think he will do good.

Its about being an advocate for the club and representing the club in a good light. I imagine thats where most come from, either that or they just really hate him. Id hazard a guess at the latter. I dont care, I think he will do good.

It's important but it's not the be all and end all. Who gives a **** what the manager sounds like if we're sitting in 12th place?

It's important but it's not the be all and end all. Who gives a **** what the manager sounds like if we're sitting in 12th place?

I agree. Totally. People want someone with gravitas thats the issue here, whereas the most important thing in my eyes is - are the players happy with him? I dont know as im not privy to that situation but I imagine they may be as he has, and perhaps wil, release them from their shackles and allow them to enjoy their football again.

Public relations are important for an organization the size of Tottenham, believe me, there is probably a direct measurable money impact at Pool from the whole Doglish & racist incident.

The problem is clubs haven't learnt how to separate the two properly, i.e. if you had a manager who was terrible in interviews but great at on the pitch results, I'd appoint someone else to do the interviews, but clubs don't seem to do that.

Public relations are important for an organization the size of Tottenham, believe me, there is probably a direct measurable money impact at Pool from the whole Doglish & racist incident.

The problem is clubs haven't learnt how to separate the two properly, i.e. if you had a manager who was terrible in interviews but great at on the pitch results, I'd appoint someone else to do the interviews, but clubs don't seem to do that.

It isnt like Tim is ****e at interviews. Granted he isnt the best but he will improve over time. Im sure he is a tad nervous to as he hasnt experienced this type of commotion before. AVB wasnt that adept at interviews either. Throwing around long words like he just read the thesaurus doesnt equate to being very good at interviews. Reminds me of that episode of Friends where Joey uses the thesaurus for every other word in writing a letter.

Probably because it would cause more problems. You could imagine what some of the vultures in the press would be like if a club didn't let the coach talk to anyone.

I don't care how he sounds, I merely care that he's intelligent. Intelligent, educated people don't tend to sound like they're idiots. When they do, it's usually an attempt to make others underestimate them - one can only do that publicly once though.

In case you don't care whether our manager's intelligent, how else do we get ahead of those with more money? Other than the odd Bale or Modric we won't have better players than them, certainly not on a scale large enough to make a difference. We won't have a better academy for at least a decade either. In which case, we have to have a manager that can outsmart them.

So LVG wont take the job till after the WC.......great....rightly or wrongly we need a manager in now.....how long are we going to carry on with this interim bollox.....Daniel has got to act soon to clear up the uncertaintainy.....

seems like we have the following options.....
-appoint hoddle and review situation in the off season
-appoint sherwood permanently but advise him depending on how it goes we may review in the off season
-appoint a another coach now or if we wait for LVG it will probably be Hoddle in charge for six months.......

you would think a decision needs to be reached before the january transfer window....or maybe that's Franco's problem so it doesnt matter........

I actually think Levy will go with Sherwood.......and from my point of view I would see this as the most viable option........From an observation point of 5 years he understands a great deal about our club....he has witnessed our triumphs and our failures.....he has witnessed us come close but fail when it matters......he understands Levy and has a good relationship which could be exactly what we need at this moment in time. Maybe Levy will be impressed if TT tells him save your 20 million quid and have a butchers at this young lad who we have been nuturing for five years. He seems to have the youth of our squad (through the system players) on his side and is clearly unafraid of using them.....one thing I think he would need his a more experienced assistant than Les beside him to bring him along. But the influx of youth could be very exciting and rewarding.

Sherwood wanted the job when AVB got it and he wants it now!!!!!(unlike some) at least he isnt fannying around....he is showing confidence in himself (some may say arrogance) but I dont think so......You could call SAF or Brian clough the same but players looked up to them because they were so assured in themselves the belief they had in themselves and their views rubbed off on their players... confidence not arrogance which is a fine line and maybe have the tendency to stray over both lines.

Blackburn tried to get TT as permanent manager and Levy fought hard and blocked it......maybe he should now back up that deciscion and faith.

and something to chew over for those that criticise tt for being a wormtongue or whispering words of anti-avb into Levys ear.......I ask you all is this not something we have all done at some stage of our lives? but listen if you are in an organisation and you see things you disagree with why wouldnt you go to the highest authority and air your views.....Its not like Levy cant think for himself.....It may be that he was raising viable concerns from his position in the club things that we didnt know.......There isnt much harm in any of us going to the big boss and saying...'he's going about it the wrong way...this is what I think we should do'......not nice but it happens and at the end of the day Levy makes his own deciscions....doesnt he??

lets give the guy 6 months at least...

or we could wait for another coach to come with loads of titles abroad but eff all in the english game..... cause we all know how Ramos & AVB worked out....trophies galore but didnt fit our club.....I daresay Tim just might......even though he isnt everyones cup of tea I doubt that will cause him sleepless nights.

Sounds like Sherwood wants the gig full-time but has made it clear he's no part-time caretaker.

Now i don't think for a minute Levy sees Sherwood as the next manager, so if a new man cannot come until the summer then it will be Hoddle in the interim.

Think Sherwood will have shot himself in the foot a tad (maybe too over confident). He has never managed a club, let alone a top 5 PL side. This is a chance to get half a season under his belt and if he did well perhaps Levy would want him as part of the new management teams set-up to mentor him for maybe a shot at it next time round. (smooth transition)

Don't get seduced by this small snippet of time no matter how many positive results we get, it's a very tough gig and we could slide quickly if mis-managed (by sherwood or levy).

Furthermore, Sherwood has stated that it is 'his club and he has been here for years'...so when your boss asks you to help out while we are managerless, you step-up and help out for the greater good for as long as it takes. BUT within a week he's giving the chairman ultimatums and backing him into a corner as well as giving him extra work in possibly finding a interim as well as a full-time manager. So will Sherwood drift off back to the U21's if he's not involved?

I don't care how he sounds, I merely care that he's intelligent. Intelligent, educated people don't tend to sound like they're idiots. When they do, it's usually an attempt to make others underestimate them - one can only do that publicly once though.

In case you don't care whether our manager's intelligent, how else do we get ahead of those with more money? Other than the odd Bale or Modric we won't have better players than them, certainly not on a scale large enough to make a difference. We won't have a better academy for at least a decade either. In which case, we have to have a manager that can outsmart them.

Football intelligence and intelligence in general are almost two completely different things. Try having a discussion about politics with Wayne Rooney or Rio Ferdinand, you won't be conversing for very long. But when it comes to football they are both talented individuals and I'm sure they could tell you 1000 things you don't know about the game.

I'm not concerned with our manager's background, upbringing, social etiquette or personal life (unless of course they had committed a crime), all I ask is he has a good knowledge of the game both domestically and abroad, can convey their ideas and beliefs to the team effectively, creates and maintains a good team spirit within the entire club not just the first team and has a decent (ish) relationship with the fans. But most important of all, he gets results. AVB looked the part and sounded the part, but what good is his knowledge, thoroughness and dedication to theories and stats if we lose 5-0 and 6-0?

I don't know what the manager has do to with how good our academy is. There's only so much a manager can do in this respect, scouts are the ones who recruit youngsters, it's the manager's job simply to play them and nurture them, if they are good enough. West Ham have had **** managers and haven't won anything for 30 years but they still have a far better youth system than we do.

Didn't NBD accept the role on a caretaker basis?

If so, it's incredibly cvnty to be insisting he gets or full time now. If not, WTF is Levy playing at? Giving a temp role to someone who refuses to accept it as a temp role?

Is anyone else really annoyed at how he looks?

I know it is a ridiculous thing to moan about but the way he looks just really ****es me off. He looks like he's been on the drugs.

Scara, I don't think he accepted it on a caretaker basis did he? His role isn't even as a caretaker is it, he's effectively managing on a game to game basis at the moment.

Is anyone else really annoyed at how he looks?

I know it is a ridiculous thing to moan about but the way he looks just really ****es me off. He looks like he's been on the drugs.

Scara, I don't think he accepted it on a caretaker basis did he? His role isn't even as a caretaker is it, he's effectively managing on a game to game basis at the moment.

I'm not sure, that's what I was asking. Either he's being a dingdong or Levy 's ****ing up here. Both have previous.

Probably because it would cause more problems. You could imagine what some of the vultures in the press would be like if a club didn't let the coach talk to anyone.

Seems to be working a treat for Southampton

Tim must think it is Christmas, in more ways than one! Some pay rise he is (presumably) getting! But "it's a funny old game", and speaking in a down to earth way, which players can understand and relate to, must be an advantage. There were certainly times when AVB made himself look faintly ridiculous by using long words when a short one was preferable (e.g. "expressive scoreline" when he meant "we've been raped!").
But if Sherwood can keep Adebayor motivated all through January and February, we will have our own Suarez, and we WILL be in the top 4. To which all of us would say: "YES, YES,YES".

Nice interview with danny rose there at the top of the page. Paints both himself and Sherwood in a good light.

Back