• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

tickle my balls with a feather. Sherwood has a decent PPG this season and so, actually, has AVB. In fact, the team are 6th on 59 points with a run of relatively easy games to finish the season. Hardly the disaster on paper that this season seems to many.

But its when you watch the team play that the real pain lies this season. We have so much individual talent, but as a collective, its practically non-existent. It's like we have been relying on individuals to do something for ages. Both AVB and Sherwood have proven absolutely incapable of constructing a TEAM. Even in AVB's first season the football was terrible, but we relied on Bale turning into a force of nature. There was no team, it was Bale and 10 strangers.

We've just beaten Sunderland 5-1 but a lot of that was down to Eriksen producing moments of individual quality. At various times under Sherwood we've mainly relied on Eriksen's set-up play and Adebayor's finishing to win us games. There is little or no structure to our play and against the good teams, our lack of tactical training and set up has been exposed time and again.

But isn't individual brilliance frequently the only reason why teams win? Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez, Aguerro, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Van Persie, Yaya Tour - all these players regularly win matches for their teams through moments of individual brilliance.

This has been done to death and I have so many better things to do than to try and turn a n opinion that verges on religious fervour.

So what I will say is "settling in period" and leave it at that. I've promised myself I'd stop banging my head against this particular brick wall.

But Sherwood doesn't get the same settling in period?

Here's one for the likes of GB and Jordinho:

Van Gaal to Spurs but he only signs if we get rid of the DOF structure, or; We keep Sherwood and keep Baldini?

Do you disagree with them? Shall we follow Chelsea's lead and sack the manager every few months?

given enough time for what? (going by the headline of the vid)

it's always been a temp job for him - nothing he has done since has changed that

- do you think a club of our stature should be giving the managers/head coach role to someone with no experience?

- why shouldn't we follow Chelsea's lead? - doesn't seem to have done them any harm...

Had an argument with a fan during the game. Really not doing himself any favours. You just have to let it go through one ear and out of the other in this business.

fypi10.jpg

2yyv19l.jpg

I was looking at Tims body language, when they asked who leaked the story!
He did look away from the camera.

It's the elephant in the room. Shameful. He should be disgusted with the whole thing. It's the final straw for me, the c nut deserves to be sacked, except this is what he wants, so now he should be retained just long enough not to get the Norwich job or whatever else he's angling for...as for Redknapp and Neville, wow, really? What a shock! Sky? No, you don't say...

As for his record...I gave the guy a chance (more than I wanted to) but I don't care if he won the ****ing league, his BEHAVIOUR in the short amount of time he has 'graced' the chair has been reprehensible, and THIS whole debacle tops the list. It is wholly embarrassing.

He had a chance. Levy was genuinely prepared to see how it went. And he blew it. On and off the pitch. So be a good boy, hold your hands in the air and just get on with it/work elsewhere when the pop comes. DON'T get involved in this sort of media-manipulation shenanigans...dare I say it reminds me of someone else from our not too distant past? he mugged a bunch of people off too with his 'friendly manner'...christ, roll on ****ing May and the end of this circus!

it's always been a temp job for him - nothing he has done since has changed that

- do you think a club of our stature should be giving the managers/head coach role to someone with no experience?

- why shouldn't we follow Chelsea's lead? - doesn't seem to have done them any harm...

Well we gave AVB the job, granted he had experience in the league but he failed miserably at the other English club he managed.

I'm not even a big fan of Sherwood but do we really want to go on the managerial merry go round for the 15th time in 15 years? We've gone for experienced foreign managers in the past which has also gone horribly wrong. I was more referring to Levy never wanting to actually back a manager and/or stick by him. Considering how little our net spend is, Levy is one of the most unrealistic chairman in the league.

It's the elephant in the room. Shameful. He should be disgusted with the whole thing. It's the final straw for me, the c nut deserves to be sacked, except this is what he wants, so now he should be retained just long enough not to get the Norwich job or whatever else he's angling for...as for Redknapp and Neville, wow, really? What a shock! Sky? No, you don't say...

As for his record...I gave the guy a chance (more than I wanted to) but I don't care if he won the ****ing league, his BEHAVIOUR in the short amount of time he has 'graced' the chair has been reprehensible, and THIS whole debacle tops the list. It is wholly embarrassing.

He had a chance. Levy was genuinely prepared to see how it went. And he blew it. On and off the pitch. So be a good boy, hold your hands in the air and just get on with it/work elsewhere when the pop comes. DON'T get involved in this sort of media-manipulation shenanigans...dare I say it reminds me of someone else from our not too distant past? he mugged a bunch of people off too with his 'friendly manner'...christ, roll on ****ing May and the end of this circus!

whoa wtf...

what am i missing here? Tim consented to have this story leaked so he would gain some sympathy? Levy will have him gone tomorrow if thats the case...surely?

Well we gave AVB the job, granted he had experience in the league but he failed miserably at the other English club he managed.

I'm not even a big fan of Sherwood but do we really want to go on the managerial merry go round for the 15th time in 15 years? We've gone for experienced foreign managers in the past which has also gone horribly wrong. I was more referring to Levy never wanting to actually back a manager and/or stick by him. Considering how little our net spend is, Levy is one of the most unrealistic chairman in the league.

maybe im wrong but i have the impression that you was in favor of AVB being sacked/outed at the time - are you now saying Levy was wrong in this instance and should have stuck with him? merry go round and all that ...

There's no point sticking with someone just for the sake of it - they have to show they have what it takes. I personally thought AVB should have been afforded more time to show one way or the other whether he was the right man for the job, others disagree...Sherwood for me was given a temp role, handed an 18 month contract as a sweetener - the plan was always to get a new man in the summer so all this talk about Sherwood not being given enough time is moot - as he was never in a position to take the job on long term.

Tim Sherwood has won 32 of the 51 Premier League points on offer (62.75%).

This already gives him the best record of any Spurs manager in the Premier League Era.

If we can manage to win our remaining 5 matches (not beyond the realms of possibility), he will have won 47 of the 66 points on offer (71.21%).

Experience or no experience, it's difficult to argue with those numbers.

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2014

ive said from the beginning THFC that 6 months (or whatever the exact number is) is too short of a time to fairly assess a manager - he could stink the place out or be a roaring success - it does not matter, it's too short of a time to judge someone.

ask yourself - if Sherwood was in charge of another club and had the same 6 month record would you be happy if we appointed him as a full time manager on the back of it?

Sherwood for me was given a temp role, handed an 18 month contract as a sweetener - the plan was always to get a new man in the summer so all this talk about Sherwood not being given enough time is moot - as he was never in a position to take the job on long term.

This is it for me. In Decemeber after exhausting all options Levy wanted a caretaker so that come the Summer he could get in a top tier manager (LVG most likely) and he thought that TS would do that job. Sherwood however came out and said he wanted the job full time and wouldn't be a caretaker so Levy knowing that he had no other option appeased him and gave him a shot. If Tim proved a hit then Levy would be able to keep him on for another season or longer but if he didn't do well then he could look elsewhere.

ive said from the beginning THFC that 6 months (or whatever the exact number is) is too short of a time to fairly assess a manager - he could stink the place out or be a roaring success - it does not matter, it's too short of a time to judge someone.

ask yourself - if Sherwood was in charge of another club and had the same 6 month record would you be happy if we appointed him as a full time manager on the back of it?

I'm sorry but unless i have missed something you're suggesting that sherwood deserves more time! Have you not listened to his interviews recently - he makes harry seem intelligent ffs

I'm sorry but unless i have missed something you're suggesting that sherwood deserves more time! Have you not listened to his interviews recently - he makes harry seem intelligent ffs

i think you must be missing something because i certainly don't think he should be getting more time ... i think that 6 months is too short of a time to make an accurate judgment of whether he is a good manager or not (which in turn means i don't think we should be appointing a manger that we have no grounds to make a proper call on whether he is right for the job or not - it's the ultimate case of blind faith)

i think that 6 months is too short of a time to make an accurate judgment of whether he is a good manager or not (which in turn means i don't think we should be appointing a manger that we have no grounds to make a proper call on whether he is right for the job or not - it's the ultimate case of blind faith)

I agree. Which is why his current point per game, though impressive, is not enough in itself to give him the job. If 6 months is not enough time to judge, it follows that likewise a winning manger might be a charlatan. Maybe they copied the previous manager, don't have their own ideas etc etc.

However, Sherwood can still make a case. He needs to get the team playing well - not just winning - something that AVB couldn't do. He needs to shore up the defence. And...the hardest of all...he needs to get us passing the ball with greater accuracy. So many poor passes. Maybe a set formation might help. But its individuals not making easy passes. Not sure how you fix that in a handful of games.

Last edited:

So did AVB this season. They both failed the 'significant tests"...

That's the thing i will never get. whilst you're so so quick to ignore AVB's failings you refuse to do the same with Sherwood. I didn't ignore AVB's failings and i won't ignore Sherwood's but i hate others who can't do the same thing and take sides.

For me the difference was that I understood what AVB was doing - the journey we were taking and what the end point would be. There was logic to it, even if he was over cautious (i.e. not implementing 4-3-3 and building strictly from the back rather than working more on the final third in tandem). In contrast Sherwood is clearly winging it and doesn't have any clear vision of how to progress.

We did also win a lot of our big matches under AVB. The two that got him the sack obviously stand out, but aside from that he did genuinely go toe-to-toe with our rivals during his reign.

Here's one for the likes of GB and Jordinho:

Van Gaal to Spurs but he only signs if we get rid of the DOF structure, or; We keep Sherwood and keep Baldini?

Definitely LVG without a DoF.

But I don't think it will happen. LVG doesn't like transfers, he finds them disruptive to the organic growth that he focuses on. He's never worked without a DoF, including his most recent club roles at AZ and Bayern.

Well whatever happens im sure the likes of Kane, Bentaleb & Velkovic will be eternally grateful to Tim.

perhaps an effective Kane aka Sheringham mk2 for us will be Sherwoods legacy....and the life preserver.

For me the difference was that I understood what AVB was doing - the journey we were taking and what the end point would be. There was logic to it, even if he was over cautious (i.e. not implementing 4-3-3 and building strictly from the back rather than working more on the final third in tandem). In contrast Sherwood is clearly winging it and doesn't have any clear vision of how to progress.

We did also win a lot of our big matches under AVB. The two that got him the sack obviously stand out, but aside from that he did genuinely go toe-to-toe with our rivals during his reign.

Definitely LVG without a DoF.

But I don't think it will happen. LVG doesn't like transfers, he finds them disruptive to the organic growth that he focuses on. He's never worked without a DoF, including his most recent club roles at AZ and Bayern.

have had horrible dreams that Wenger leaves to be replaced with LVG....oh how that would go down a treat on here.

one could argue AVB was too rigid and Timbo tinkers too much...we require a happy medium.

Back