• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Youth Players/On-Loan Thread 2017/18

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...league-youngsters-are-choosing-the-bundesliga

A very good article. Gave me an eye opener as to why players like Griffiths would want to go.

From what I've heard, there are aspects of the system there that Spurs do mirror (Poch has said he wants to make space for academy players in the squad).

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Whilst we have a better record than a lot (particularly better than a lot of top clubs), I do think that promoting youth is something which we could still do better at, even just at the fringes. For example, for games such as Rochdale in the FA Cup I dont really see the need to have 6 senior players on the bench - I dont see why we couldn't have 3 senior and 3 youth, and then if we go 2 or 3 up, you bring on the kids

That said, getting young players game time in the league or Europe is difficult for a top 6 club in England given the competition is so fierce

as for Griffiths, from what I gather he isn't our only U18 who may be moving on this summer, though whether that's to a club abroad or not I don't know.

Why is this happening, I mean one or more of our talented prospects wanting to move on so soon?

I think we are in a precarious situation. Our top players want to win things and see quality brought in. If we do not and fail to improve, then we risk losing those top players.

We have done well over the last few years (with youth players coming through) because Poch has had the freedom to use them. Now our position in football has changed, which may mean this approach has to. It's OK giving them a chance to train with the first team, but to get them competitive game time is a different issue altogether.

Another way of looking at it however is the relative strength of the leagues. Bayern are the only top tier team in that league right now, yet they aren't flush with U21's.

Why is this happening, I mean one or more of our talented prospects wanting to move on so soon?

They don't see a first team pathway here, or at least see a clearer one elsewhere.

They'll probably look at someone like KWP who has been a model academy player and one of our best talents in recent years and here he is, nearly 21 and with very little first team football to his name. I'm sure that when Walker went, he(KWP) would've been thinking this is his chance, not to be a starter but just to be a back-up(initially at least) and then we go and buy a £25m player to do that job instead, one who you could argue at this point is just as much of a work in progress as KWP is. Pochettino has this great reputation for giving youth players a chance and bringing them through but in the four years he's been here the only player he's successfully brought really through is Harry Winks, I guess you can argue for Mason too but for a club with one of the best academies from one of the biggest footballing nations in the world it's not really a return worth writing home about. I hope we can add a few more names to that list soon but I can't say I'm too confident.

I don't want to see our youth players leaving but looking at it objectively, I couldn't really blame them if they do.

I don't have any figures but off the top of my head you've had these players move abroad in the past year or so

Jadon Sancho (Emirates Marketing Project -> Dortmund)
Chris Willock (Arsenal -> Benfica)
Marcus McGuane (Arsenal -> Barcelona)
Dan Crowley (Arsenal -> Willem II)
Kaylen Hinds (Arsenal -> Wolfsburg)
Mandela Egbo (Palace -> Monchengladbach)
Mukhtar Ali (Chelsea -> Vitesse)

Then you have quite a few out on loan like Reece Oxford(Monchengladbach), Ademola Lookman(RB Leipzig) and all the Chelsea lads at Vitesse. I think this is only the beginning though and the number will rise in the coming years. As for Griffiths, from what I gather he isn't our only U18 who may be moving on this summer, though whether that's to a club abroad or not I don't know.

This will be excellent for the national side. Young English players have been choosing easy bench time and big wages, over improving themselves and getting game time, since the beginning of the EPL. This is well overdue.

They don't see a first team pathway here, or at least see a clearer one elsewhere.

They'll probably look at someone like KWP who has been a model academy player and one of our best talents in recent years and here he is, nearly 21 and with very little first team football to his name. I'm sure that when Walker went, he(KWP) would've been thinking this is his chance, not to be a starter but just to be a back-up(initially at least) and then we go and buy a £25m player to do that job instead, one who you could argue at this point is just as much of a work in progress as KWP is. Pochettino has this great reputation for giving youth players a chance and bringing them through but in the four years he's been here the only player he's successfully brought really through is Harry Winks, I guess you can argue for Mason too but for a club with one of the best academies from one of the biggest footballing nations in the world it's not really a return worth writing home about. I hope we can add a few more names to that list soon but I can't say I'm too confident.

I don't want to see our youth players leaving but looking at it objectively, I couldn't really blame them if they do.

Makes sense.
It's difficult to read and accept but it's the dilemma clubs at the top face.

Good (fan) write-up here on 17 year old Brooklyn Lyons-Foster.
The writer likens his skills and style to that of Toby
"...But it’s that Alderweireld like reading of the game ...Time after time I’ve seen him snuff out danger by getting in front of his man at the decisive moment.
...Mature beyond his years the youngster is intelligent and able to deal with tricky situations, I.E a one on one....cool and collected he never panics and rarely dives in. Instead he waits for that decisive moment before getting the vital touch on the ball. "

https://superhotspur.com/

"...But it’s that Alderweireld like reading of the game ...Time after time I’ve seen him snuff out danger by getting in front of his man at the decisive moment.
...Mature beyond his years the youngster is intelligent and able to deal with tricky situations, I.E a one on one....cool and collected he never panics and rarely dives in. Instead he waits for that decisive moment before getting the vital touch on the ball. "

I've seen half a dozen times always impresses me, doesn't rely on being big to defend like a lot of youth defenders,

Yet another young player with a name like a solicitors firm.

Maybe the dad was just a bit bitter, you did say he was a Chelsea fan so clearly he is at the least a bit of a cnut.

Fredericks, Smith, Carol, Mason(sadly no more) Townsend, Livermore. We have a good record in youngsters going on in the game and then even the ones who are released earlier like that Bryne kid who is at Wigan I think it probably helps attract them to the club knowing they have a good chance to make it in the game even if it is not with us.
Not forgetting Charlie Daniels and Alex Pritchard, both of whom are also at Premiership clubs. Reminds me of how half the teams in the division at one stage seemed to have a Manchester United reject, often as their standout player.

Still no Edwards on the bench for Norwich. They said he may be ready for Forest on Tuesday and he was not in the squad. And today he is not either.

CCV played all 90 mins in a 0-0 draw with his previous loan team Sheffield United.
Walkes played the full 90 for Portsmouth in a 3-1 defeat to Gillingham.
Harrison came on for the last 10 mins in Southends draw with Doncaster.
GKN did not get on at all for Burnley at Wet Spam.
Onomah did not get off the bench for Aston Villa in their 4-1 win over leaders Wolves.

Last edited:
The U23s won 3-1 away to Arsenal to ease our relegation fears and also dent their hopes of winning the league. Eyoma, Skipp and Bennetts got our goals.

Still no Edwards on the bench for Norwich. They said he may be ready for Forest on Tuesday and he was not in the squad. And today he is not either.

Farke said he'll be involved after the international break at the latest but maybe before then.

CCV played all 90 mins in a 0-0 draw with his previous loan team Sheffield United.
Walkes played the full 90 for Portsmouth in a 3-1 defeat to Gillingham.
Harrison came on for the last 10 mins in Southends draw with Doncaster.
GKN did not get on at all for Burnley at Wet Spam.
Onomah did not get off the bench for Aston Villa in their 4-1 win over leaders Wolves.

Amos also played 90 mins for Stevenage.

Farke was tentative about Edwards playing before the international break.

I'm sure he said the Forest game was still too soon.

It’s a weird phenomenon

Arsenal and Chelsea seem to have the double barrels in abundance with their kids too

Arsenal’s all seem to be African origin

I believe it's been caused in some cases by family issues where parents have split up and kids take two surnames, two kids in my grandson team have double-barrelled names.

I believe it's been caused in some cases by family issues where parents have split up and kids take two surnames, two kids in my grandson team have double-barrelled names.

Maybe

I was speaking to one of my wife’s social worker colleagues snd in London it’s common as you say because kids take both parents babes for couples who aren’t together when the child is born

Back