• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Edwards also linked away? Barca?

There was some leaked scouting report which had his name listed(very short list) amongst a handful of other top prospects around the world, they no doubt hold an interest but I don't think they've acted on it. Emirates Marketing Project have previously tried(and failed) to take him though. I've also learnt the reason for Edwards removing THFC from his twitter bio is down to John McDermott, he's very old school and doesn't like the kids thinking they've made it before they actually have.

Wasn't Edwards also linked away? Barca?

Yes. But it was more than that, I think. Those who follow his twitter feed were reading a lot into one of his tweets to one of his teammates last season - something along the lines of "what the f*** happened there? I've had enough" - after he wasn't picked for an U18 game (though it might have had nothing to do with Spurs!); and then, more recently, when "Tottenham academy player" (or similar) suddenly disappeared from his twitter profile. There was also some concern that there had been pics of almost all the other new academy intake signing their new contracts (or whatever it is that they sign) at White Hart Lane while Edwards was a notable absentee.

So there was much wailing and wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth among Spurs youth followers.

There had been recent itk that he had no intention of leaving, that his family loves the club and that he has signed a pre-contract (in advance of his first proper contract when he turns 17 in December). Nevertheless, it's good to have it confirmed on the official site that he is definitely one of the new academy intake.

Last edited:
There was some leaked scouting report which had his name listed(very short list) amongst a handful of other top prospects around the world, they no doubt hold an interest but I don't think they've acted on it. Emirates Marketing Project have previously tried(and failed) to take him though. I've also learnt the reason for Edwards removing THFC from his twitter bio is down to John McDermott, he's very old school and doesn't like the kids thinking they've made it before they actually have.

You know for a fact that City tried to nab him?

Would be surprising. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that there is an unwritten rule among the top English clubs that they don't poach each other's youth players.

I'm guessing also that he is no longer an academy player an is now a reserve or a higher level player maybe

You mean Onomah?

If so, then yes, he's now a development squad player - although I expect him either to be on the fringes of the first team, getting game time in cup games and possibly as a late sub in the Premier League, or to be sent out on loan. He got plenty of experience of U21 football last season and he needs to step up from that now.

You know for a fact that City tried to nab him?

Would be surprising. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that there is an unwritten rule among the top English clubs that they don't poach each other's youth players.

As close as, 2nd hand info so not definite but it's what I was told. As for the unwritten rule, I think Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea may have an understanding but Liverpool and the two Manchesters don't seem as willing to play ball. City are forever taking Utd's talent, well I say taking, more like Utd's kids are flocking to City due to the better facilities and the on-campus education they receive, as well as other *ahem* bonuses. Liverpool are probably the worst offenders, they took a kid(Dixon-Bonner) from Arsenal a few weeks ago, they basically hawk the best talent in the 14-16 age range regardless of what club they're currently with.

Yeah there is nothing clubs can do to prevent breaking gentlemen's agreements like this, because they're not legally enforceable.

You mean Onomah?

If so, then yes, he's now a development squad player - although I expect him either to be on the fringes of the first team, getting game time in cup games and possibly as a late sub in the Premier League, or to be sent out on loan. He got plenty of experience of U21 football last season and he needs to step up from that now.

I meant Edwards but in principle it's any player who steps up a group. I was refund to his change do his Twitter profile

I meant Edwards but in principle it's any player who steps up a group. I was refund to his change do his Twitter profile

Ah, I see.

No, he is still an academy player. In fact, he has only just become an academy player, officially. Prior to this coming season, he was only on schoolboy. forms. Still only 16.

And in case you missed it, Yoof provided the explanation for the change in Edwards' twitter profile a few posts back.

Ah, I see.

No, he is still an academy player. In fact, he has only just become an academy player, officially. Prior to this coming season, he was only on schoolboy. forms. Still only 16.

And in case you missed it, Yoof provided the explanation for the change in Edwards' twitter profile a few posts back.

Thanks I'd missed that

I'm pleased to see Coulhirst getting some games with the 1st team, he impressed me when I saw him with the Next-Gen team. He was much better than the over hyped Coulibaly.

I'm pleased to see Coulhirst getting some games with the 1st team, he impressed me when I saw him with the Next-Gen team. He was much better than the over hyped Coulibaly.
I would rather go into next season with him in the squad as our third choice striker instead of Soldado.

I doubt that Coulthirst has a long term future at the club. He's getting game time in these behind-closed-doors friendlies only because we are so short up front until Harry Kane is back up to speed. And for all that Soldado has failed to deliver in a Spurs shirt thus far, I'd be far more confident about our prospects in any forthcoming game with him on the team sheet than Coulthirst.

I expect us to bring in two strikers / wide forwards by the close of the transfer window, though - players who can fulfil either role, like Berahino and Njie, possibly. And then my guess is that Soldado will be sold and Coulthirst will go out on loan.

I doubt that Coulthirst has a long term future at the club. He's getting game time in these behind-closed-doors friendlies only because we are so short up front until Harry Kane is back up to speed. And for all that Soldado has failed to deliver in a Spurs shirt thus far, I'd be far more confident about our prospects in any forthcoming game with him on the team sheet than Coulthirst.

I expect us to bring in two strikers / wide forwards by the close of the transfer window, though - players who can fulfil either role, like Berahino and Njie, possibly. And then my guess is that Soldado will be sold and Coulthirst will go out on loan.

I fully understand he's not ready yet, but most of the people on here didn't think Kane was worth a try at this time last year, loans are only any good when players get game time and play in a team that are not struggling.

I fully understand he's not ready yet, but most of the people on here didn't think Kane was worth a try at this time last year, loans are only any good when players get game time and play in a team that are not struggling.

It's not just that Coulthirst isn't ready.

It's simply that I don't get the impression that he is anything like as highly rated by the coaching staff (academy and first team) at Spurs as Kane has always been - despite the eye-catching hat trick against Barca in the Next Gen series. Kane was talked, or rather whispered, about as a potential star since as young as 15. He just had that something, even if it took him a while to show it consistently at senior level. I've never heard similar things said of Coulthirst.

By all accounts, Coulthirst is a good lad; well liked and hard working. But that alone won't be enough. I'm sure that he has a decent career ahead of him. I'm just not so sure that it's at Spurs, the level we are at or the level we aspire to reach.

U21 squad for the France tourney on Fri/Sat:

Voss (GK), Whiteman (GK), Amos, Azzaoui, Ball, Carter-Vickers, Goddard, Hall, Harrison, Maghoma, McEvoy, Oduwa, Ogilvie, Sonupe, Sterling, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters, Walkes.

Interesting squad. Veljkovic no closer to 1st team consideration then and KWP/CCV/Oduwa have all dropped down, which means Winks and Onomah go to the US. Two 1st year scholars there as well in Whiteman and Sterling, the latter now seemingly seen as a regular at u21 level. I don't know why we still have Hall tbh, I thought we'd have released him by now and him taking game time from Maghoma doesn't really make any sense.

So Oduwa on loan this season then? seems strange that if he was anywhere near in contention for the first team that he would not be in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back