• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Ugly Truth

Lilywhite

Stephen Kelly
We didn't think the season could get any worse, but tonight it did.

Most of us are well aware by now that we just aren't very good. Some still have their head in the sand regarding it. Others (Jordinho, I'm looking at you more than most ;) ) reckon we are still capable of finishing in the top four :lol:

The (ugly) truth is that we are complete crap and it's going to have to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. There is a lot more suffering for us still to take.

Players

I don't think a team has ever had so many players with a reputation suggesting they are so much better than they actually are:

Lloris - I like Hugo and he is a good keeper but his ridiculous decisions to come out based on luck rather than judgement are very grating
Vertonghen - overrated defensively, see him get torn apart so frequently for a supposed 'top defender'. As well as that, his attitude stinks
Dembele - not bad by any means, decent but offers **** all going forward other than a good dribble from time to time
Walker - literally all athlete, zero awareness at the best of times. If he's England's best right-back then we're ****ed

Then there are the players who have been here a while and been good servants but have clearly gone downhill for one reason or another and are unlikely to get back to where they were. Lennon, Sandro, Kaboul, I'm looking at you three in particular.

Adebayor - very good player when he turns up, no doubt about it and is a key reason for us having 50+ points but his attitude is even worse than Vertonghen's.

Finally, the new boys from last summer. I'm convinced it will go down as the worst set of transfer business EVER. One good thing appears to have come out of it, Eriksen, and even he is infuriatingly inconsistent, partly cos he keeps getting played out of f*cking position. The others are duds. All duds.

Manager

Tim just isn't cut out for top level football management. Has no idea how to set a team up tactically and we've actually gotten worse (performance and results wise after the initial surge of luck) under him. Should have stayed on as youth coach.

Levy and Baldini

The former has made too many bad decisions at our club now, I'm done with him and can't wait to see the back of the guy. Baldini shouldn't be forgotten for his part in our dreadful summer last year.

Long term future

Doesn't look good, does it? We've a number of old players, some perma-injury-stricken boys and some who are just decent. No standout players whatsoever that a top club would be absolutely desperate to buy like with Bale and Modric.

Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project don't sell their best players. Neither do Liverpool and Man United. Now I know some of you might reply with 'but but but Chelsea and City are money cheats and have no need to, and Pool/MUtd are much bigger than us' blah blah blah, fact is if we truly wanted to compete with these teams as the board always bangs on saying we do (until recently) then we would not constantly flog our best players. Even Arsenal will probably stop doing that now.

Seriously, where do we go from here? It looks unbelievably bleak. The fact we are ahead of Everton and Man United is incredible, they should be folding. We're even somehow only a few points back from 4th, although the four above us are worlds ahead and there is absolutely no chance we overtake any of them. More chance we end 8th TBH.

I'm so disillusioned right now and it's sad but it really is our own work. We even had a huge chunk of luck in the first few months of the season to keep the more deluded section of our fans happy but now we're playing some good sides in a row it will be made abundantly clear that we are rubbish. I'll be shocked if we register another win in March, and by the end of the month expect us to be out of the Europa League and 7th in the Premier League. Season will be over, and you can quote me on that.

Above all, I blame the obsession with qualifying for the Champions League. It's led to this constant sense of single-minded desperation and, since our successful qualification four seasons ago, a self-fulfilling fear and melodramatic anger at failure.

I've forgotten what it feels like just to enjoy supporting and watching your team.

**** the Champions League - **** it in the ass.

Last edited:
it's going to have to get a whole lot worse before it gets better

Yep.

Even though Arsenal are nowhere near what they once were I fear we will get absolutely raped until our bum holes are as wide as the Thames.

We've got 9 games left and it wouldn't surprise me if we picked 9-14 points, there just isn't a team to be seen.

The players looked completely destroyed when Benfica went 1-0. It was harsh at that stage but seriously the fans went quiet and the players stopped playing.

Wouldn't mind seeing leave:
- Lloris
- Vertoghen
- Paulinho
- Chadli

Finished due to age/injury/their time just being up:
- Hellboy
- Gomes
- Dawson
- Kaboul
- BAE

Borderline/Who knows?/Meh
- Lennon
- Naughton
- Capoue
- Fryers
- Siggy
- Lewis

Players to keep/Top 4 squad quality:
- Walker
- Vlad
- Rose
- Sandro
- Eriksen
- Lamela
- Townsend
- Betaleb
- Dembele
- Carroll
- Livermore
- Soldado
- Adebayor
- Kane

So for me that's only 14 players I'd hang my hat on. The rest, blah.

Ridiculously unreliable central defence plus a completely uncreative central midfield equals the current mess.

The truth is we are just an above average Premier League team nothing more than that. We look absolutely toothless going forward with Eriksen and Ade the only bright sparks but even they are inconsistent. Nobody is on the same wavelength and we just look like a team full of players who have never met each other before. I was patient for the first half of the season as it takes time for a team to gel and even after the 6-0 and 0-5 hammering's to City and Liverpool i thought we would eventually turn the corner but i've got to the point where i've realised the squad is just full of average players.

I blame the obsession with qualifying for the Champions League. It's led to this constant sense of single-minded desperation and, since our successful qualification four seasons ago, a self-fulfilling fear and melodramatic anger at failure.

I've forgotten what it feels like just to enjoy supporting and watching your team.

Good post, let's do just that on Sunday!

Above all, I blame the obsession with qualifying for the Champions League. It's led to this constant sense of single-minded desperation and, since our successful qualification four seasons ago, a self-fulfilling fear and melodramatic anger at failure.

**** the Champions League - **** it in the ass.

This.

Although i loved seeing us playing in the CL...and i want us to play there again.

But this desperate need to get in there is somewhat killing the happiness i should get just by seeing Spurs play.

It's funny, we were laughing at Liverpool a few years back for buying Carroll , Henderson, Downing for ridiculous amount of money but the fact is that it doesn't even come close to our **** up during last summer's transfer window.

We've wasted £100 million (bar Eriksen and Lamela imo) and now we are going to suffer consequences of it for a few seasons to come, at best. Add a trigger happy chairman to the mix who likes to fire managers once a year and you have a recipe for a never ending evil circle full of inconsistency and lack of stability. As good of a business man as DL is, we will never progress as a club as long as he is at the helm.

This.

Although i loved seeing us playing in the CL...and i want us to play there again.

But this desperate need to get in there is somewhat killing the happiness i should get just by seeing Spurs play.

No, the way they are playing football is doing that... I'm all for forgiving results if performances get you on your feet but we have been poor since Harry left. There were moments under AVB which suggested a taster of more to come but when the entertainment is being rationed you have to look around yourself just to check you're still a spurs fan!!!

No, the way they are playing football is doing that... I'm all for forgiving results if performances get you on your feet but we have been poor since Harry left. There were moments under AVB which suggested a taster of more to come but when the entertainment is being rationed you have to look around yourself just to check you're still a spurs fan!!!

I agree, I didnt like Harry but thought he did a decent job and although it was basic stuff the football was good under him. AVB came and at times last season we looked good (only a hand full of times)

I cant wait for this season to end

I liked Harry but I felt he made his position untenable - if anything I think he was sacked too late. But yes, his football, without a plan b, was entertaining to watch just so long as we didn't come up against a team who defended with 10 men as Harry didn't know how to break these teams down either.

I can't wait for the season to be over either, new manager - maybe? Who cares? New players - ditto! Feeling less and less connected to our current side and enthusiasm is at a low.

It's funny, we were laughing at Liverpool a few years back for buying Carroll , Henderson, Downing for ridiculous amount of money but the fact is that it doesn't even come close to our **** up during last summer's transfer window.

We've wasted £100 million (bar Eriksen and Lamela imo) and now we are going to suffer consequences of it for a few seasons to come, at best. Add a trigger happy chairman to the mix who likes to fire managers once a year and you have a recipe for a never ending evil circle full of inconsistency and lack of stability. As good of a business man as DL is, we will never progress as a club as long as he is at the helm.

But signings should never ever be judged until second season. That is when most really get to grips with this league, so many players have said this and when Sandro said it yesterday he wasnt saying that for the sake of it. Most of our signings if not all we've seen attributes of real quality, maybe not on a consistent basis but I guarantee most if not all of them, at least those who remian here will be operating on a much higher level next season....

But signings should never ever be judged until second season. That is when most really get to grips with this league, so many players have said this and when Sandro said it yesterday he wasnt saying that for the sake of it. Most of our signings if not all we've seen attributes of real quality, maybe not on a consistent basis but I guarantee most if not all of them, at least those who remian here will be operating on a much higher level next season....

I totally agree, but they are more or less nothing getting picked under TS. Look at the Chelsea game, not one new signing was in the starting 11. Andros ****ing Townsend, aka headless chicken who is such a limited football player that it's unreal, has been picked before a £30m Argentina international, one of the worlds biggest talents. Harry Kane starts in a nr 10 role against Benfica at the expense of £28m Spanish international. Eriksen who has been showing most promise of them all doesn't feature for 4 games in a row.
The point is, they will never gel and therefore be consistent if they are not played.

The Ugly truth is we should have spent the 80m on the new stadium. The other 25m we spent could and should have been just for Soldado.

Back