• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The role of the press

Our manager chase is creating bigger news inside and outside the Spurs bubble than the story of Champions, FA Cup winners to relegation by Leicester within 7 years. In real football terms, that's the real disaster story of the year....

There is a reason for that

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk
Because if they printed stories about the doping they'd get sued?

nah it is always us

like you say, look at the mess Chelsea are in, look how up the arse of the arse they are, look how they got behind doping racist Leicester in 2016

there is an agenda in the UK press against us

A bit of a tin foil hat reply that - I don't think anyone has an agenda against us - ask Utd fans how it all went for them during the last few years of Solskjaer, Rangnick etc.

The same goes for Chelsea and Potter - they had an idea, they got a guy in to lead the project (albeit a nutty project which is about to swallow up one of our heroes and likely spit him out too) and when the constant barrage of media criticism and stirring up the fan base got too bad, they binned him.

Where you perceive an agenda, I believe it's just the self serving money making approach that is the main focus of the media.

We do have a number of outspoken ex players in the media, but then so does everyone else - look at Keane's comments about utd the last five years...

Mr G - this isn't about opinions. Opinions are formed on the basis of someone collecting facts to a level that suits them - some will do more research than others.

This is about the fact that in the interests of selling newspapers, advertising et al, the modern media now prey on subjects that are polarising and likely to provoke extreme reactions. I think of it as the Adrian Durham effect.

Right now it's fashionable to slag off Tottenham Hotspur for being a shambles. For having no plan. Once we have a manager and he's stable and making headway they will move to linking our top player with other clubs. All with no basis in fact. All designed to provoke a reaction.

If we fall for that, through a combination of passion for our club and discontent at perceived incompetence, then the media has won.

We should be smarter and more proactive with modern media. One blanket statement. That's it. We are behind the curve. Media has shifted beyond all recognition in the last 10 years, let alone 20! As a club, we are either behind the curve or willingly ignoring it IMV.

Read the news from several sources, form your own opinion.
everyone, every group, every business, every corporation and every government/political party have thier own agenda or narrative.
Be prepared to defend your opinion, but also be prepared to change your mind.
Respect others opinion, even when they are clams, you won't change thier mind be arguing with them, people need to be persuaded, not brow beaten.

Read the news from several sources, form your own opinion.
everyone, every group, every business, every corporation and every government/political party have thier own agenda or narrative.
Be prepared to defend your opinion, but also be prepared to change your mind.
Respect others opinion, even when they are clams, you won't change thier mind be arguing with them, people need to be persuaded, not brow beaten.

That's right. Though with social media nowadays, so much misinformation is spread and even worse than that, supposedly reliable journos from major publication re-tweet those things given that there's a constant war for numbers/followers etc that the misinformation is spread more widely.

Most technological innovations have some negative impacts but are generally net positive. Social media though has more downsides than upsides IMO. Obviously can't ban it buts the hours we all waste on it, the misinformation which it spreads, the divisions it generates in society...its a net negative innovation in my view

That's right. Though with social media nowadays, so much misinformation is spread and even worse than that, supposedly reliable journos from major publication re-tweet those things given that there's a constant war for numbers/followers etc that the misinformation is spread more widely.

Most technological innovations have some negative impacts but are generally net positive. Social media though has more downsides than upsides IMO. Obviously can't ban it buts the hours we all waste on it, the misinformation which it spreads, the divisions it generates in society...its a net negative innovation in my view

22 years on average of peoples lives online now, just a throw away stat I heard yesterday, not sure what the breakdown is but seems scary.

When add to that the people at the other end of that servicing the info are phone hackers, liars, Piers Morgan and Ollie Holt, who once famously said calling someone a Black clam was not racist its no shock that people are like they are

22 years on average of peoples lives online now, just a throw away stat I heard yesterday, not sure what the breakdown is but seems scary.

I suppose it depends what you are doing online. If you are informing yourself, reading from a wide variety of sources, doing business, communicating to maintain friendships with family and friends that you aren't able to see very often, then that would seem fine.

If you are spending your scrolling through social media then a re-think might be in order.

I suppose it depends what you are doing online. If you are informing yourself, reading from a wide variety of sources, doing business, communicating to maintain friendships with family and friends that you aren't able to see very often, then that would seem fine.

If you are spending your scrolling through social media then a re-think might be in order.
Think my 22 years will just consist of being on here and Tinder tbh :D.....

Yeh like I said, not sure what the breakdown of that was so without looking I would assume there is a mix. But as someone else rightfully said on the news and social media side, the amount of misinformation out there added to the fraction of that time is not a very good recipe. Take Spurs out the argument for a moment and there is a clear issue with global misinformation in varying industries and politics, its a problem regardless of any sporting bias people might have

Edit: the average time people start browsing the internet each day is 8:52am - and they don’t log off until 21:25pm

Last edited:

Yeh I mean its only taken them three managers, 500m and a finish closer to the relegation zone than CL for the to appoint a manager often labelled by the same media as a failure for winning nothing ;);)

People don't seem to get that the various sides of the media will cover all angles sooner or later so no matter what your viewpoint/ bias is, everyone can go to www.I'mright.com and dive further in to their own rabbit hole but have "evidence" to back themselves up.

That said, the people who year in year out moan about the people moaning about stuff in the media are no more productive or clever, if anything actually more tiresome as they are merely repeating the same sentiment, it's ruthlessly boring and high horse-y. Within reason people are entitled to get carried away and it can occasionally be a fun ride.

Places like this are for discussion, otherwise we may as well just lock the new manager thread until we appoint one in an official statement, same for dof thread, same for transfer rumours thread etc etc.

I don't see a problem with people hoping for Slot even if they only recently became aware of him, getting your hopes up and then swiftly brought back down to earth is part of the Spurs experience and supporting nearly any football club.
What about the people that moan about the people who year in year out moan about the people moaning about stuff in the media? :p

What about the people that moan about the people who year in year out moan about the people moaning about stuff in the media? :p

They're the absolute worst, don't get me started on those clams ;)

It is an interesting one though, it probably comes down to mindset combined with expectations, some on here continuously moan about the club and others about the fans, I doubt it's exclusive to this board.

It's the same with the agenda thing, fans thinking the media have it in for their club rather than considering they may be targeted by triggering material because of algorithms / the personal bubble that everyone creates. It's not a surprise that it's gospel on here that Emirates Marketing Project have cheated (same for the whole Liverpool PED thing which many buy in to without any credible sources) but on Bluemoon / Rawk they'll no doubt be certain it's a conspiracy. It's part of the whole idiotic but enjoyable tribalism factor of football I guess.

As for negativity about the club, I've said many times that we've been at such an odd position of being so close to greatness but not quite making it, and scheudanfraude (spelling) being the opiate of the masses it makes sense to mock the general happenings but not many "neutrals" would engage with content laying in to Leyton Orient.

For me a touch of humility and awareness that someone may be believing something because it suits the way their pre conceived viewpoints goes a long way, we're mainly basing "wot we reckon" on scraps outside of what we see on a football pitch or bland press conferences until someone actually speaks their mind and loads of people have kittens over it..

Back