• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I’ve never developed the hatred for Arsenal that others have.
Which is fair enough....

......If you are over 80 and watched both teams at the Lane in WW2 then had a season ticket at both teams in the 60s as some did, like Hunter Davies the journalist.
Otherwise it's fecking absurd,

How is it absurd?

I went to school in Essex in the 80’s, nobody supported Arsenal, it was 99% dipper.

I didn’t meet an Arsenal fan until I started work, they were reasonable, had no delusions or expectations, I liked them.

Obviously when we had our run ins with them under Jol I didn’t like losing, but they were so far ahead of us it would have been churlish to expect otherwise.

Arsenal don’t have fans like other clubs, it’s not wall to wall tribal flimflam, they have their AFTV lot, who seemingly hate Arsenal more than anyone else, but the rest of the ones I know keep quiet and never gloat.

Dippers on the other hand, either winning through clear cheating or shouting conspiracy and rematch every time things don’t go their way, and you always know who their fans are, because they never shut up about it, how they are special, how it means more.

My experience is my experience and my opinions are based on that.

Definitely not a spurs fan wanting arsenal to win the league over Liverpool

I’m definitely a Spurs fan.

I just don’t hate anyone as much as I hate Liverpool. (I don’t actually hate anyone but Liverpool).

I’m a grown up. I’m capable of my own analysis and decision making.

I don’t let others dictate who I have feelings for or against.

Admit it, you would rather see Everton win the league than United.

How is it absurd?

I went to school in Essex in the 80’s, nobody supported Arsenal, it was 99% dipper.

I didn’t meet an Arsenal fan until I started work, they were reasonable, had no delusions or expectations, I liked them.

Obviously when we had our run ins with them under Jol I didn’t like losing, but they were so far ahead of us it would have been churlish to expect otherwise.

Arsenal don’t have fans like other clubs, it’s not wall to wall tribal flimflam, they have their AFTV lot, who seemingly hate Arsenal more than anyone else, but the rest of the ones I know keep quiet and never gloat.

Dippers on the other hand, either winning through clear cheating or shouting conspiracy and rematch every time things don’t go their way, and you always know who their fans are, because they never shut up about it, how they are special, how it means more.

All I can say on the bolded part is that you have been very fortunate my friend.
Went to school in Hackney and in those early 80's was fortunate that we actually won a few things.
Been working in Islington since 1989 and they have some of the the biggest gloaters you could ever meet, even worse since gentrification of the area and the middle/upper middle class moved in. I can honestly say 99% of them hate Spurs and want us to lose every game. I have time for my Arsenal mates but the others are mostly horrible people.

All I can say on the bolded part is that you have been very fortunate my friend.
Went to school in Hackney and in those early 80's was fortunate that we actually won a few things.
Been working in Islington since 1989 and they have some of the the biggest gloaters you could ever meet, even worse since gentrification of the area and the middle/upper middle class moved in. I can honestly say 99% of them hate Spurs and want us to lose every game. I have time for my Arsenal mates but the others are mostly horrible people.
We all meet different people
I can honestly say the arsenal fans I know are good lads. They go and they get football
Yeah they get carried away like all fans but they are sound

How is it absurd?

I grew up in the 80s as well, and in Norway the only way you could follow football was on the single TV channel we had so it was a little arbitrary which clubs people started to support. Needless to say it was the Liverpool era of all eras, so naturally they were shown more, won more and gathered more supporters, but there is a span. My age it's Liverpool, add a few years and theres a huge Leeds base. We even have a pretty strong Hull(?) supporter base I think. Lots of fairweather supporters.

Anyway, I don't think I know more than a handful of Arsenal supporters. And as you say, they were never gloaty or rowdy. I had a double or nothing bet jokingly going on for years with a colleague at work about league position. I probably owed him 1000 quid before I changed job (right before the Poch era), but we never kept count and he has never asked for it back, and even offers to continue the bet when I see him now. It needs to be said he's a bit simple, as all of their supporters are. I don't think I know more that 2-3 Chelsea supporters. A few Leeds, couple of West Ham, Villa, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, one City (post-oil) but lots and LOTS of Liverpool and Man Utd. They span from indifferent to very knowledgeable, but the only set of fans I would call fanatic or impossible to have a meaningful conversation with supports Liverpool.

We all meet different people
I can honestly say the arsenal fans I know are good lads. They go and they get football
Yeah they get carried away like all fans but they are sound
For me it’s nothing to do with what they are like as fans, my best mate is a Goon I was his best man, but it’s just inherent in supporting Spurs that you hate Arsenal.

Totally bizarre to think otherwise IMO, unless maybe you’re a foreign fan and haven’t been brought up on that rivalry and it’s just about what Spurs do.

For me it’s nothing to do with what they are like as fans, my best mate is a Goon I was his best man, but it’s just inherent in supporting Spurs that you hate Arsenal.

Totally bizarre to think otherwise IMO, unless maybe you’re a foreign fan and haven’t been brought up on that rivalry, it’s just about what Spurs do.

have you never analysed that?

does it stand up to scrutiny, is there logic?

I've got no links to the area, I support Spurs because I chose to

Totally bizarre to think otherwise IMO, unless maybe you’re a foreign fan and haven’t been brought up on that rivalry and it’s just about what Spurs do.
Doesn’t mean we don’t have a rivalry but with the lads I know it’s not about them, it’s just the club they made the mistake of supporting

Back